Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, quick question and hope it hasn't been covered. I haven't seen it anyways. I installed a mxk10 and was curious if the odometer miles are transferred over? I've looked around a little and so far all I have is the 258 miles I've put on the bike since I've installed it. Thanks in advance.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Congrats on the MXK10!

The odometer reading is stored in the instrument cluster itself, on both the AIM unit and the OEM cluster. There's no way to transfer it over currently. You start fresh at 0 miles with the new MXK10. Same thing would happen if you bought a new OEM unit and installed it. There's no options in the software to update that either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the MXK10!

The odometer reading is stored in the instrument cluster itself, on both the AIM unit and the OEM cluster. There's no way to transfer it over currently. You start fresh at 0 miles with the new MXK10. Same thing would happen if you bought a new OEM unit and installed it. There's no options in the software to update that either.
Thank you, I absolutely love this dash. Makes me feel good about the new display on the 21's. I had a feeling they were stored but a kid on tonit swore up and down you could change it. The interface isn't terribly huge or complicated so I figured it was nonsense. Thank you again for the great info like always. Sorry if this was covered also I tried looking. Have a good weekend

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you, I absolutely love this dash. Makes me feel good about the new display on the 21's. I had a feeling they were stored but a kid on tonit swore up and down you could change it. The interface isn't terribly huge or complicated so I figured it was nonsense. Thank you again for the great info like always. Sorry if this was covered also I tried looking. Have a good weekend
Just send it in to AiM and they'll put any mileage in you want for free.

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
90 Posts
I just snagged a used one off of ebay and glad to see that over time most of the quirks have been worked out. Did most of you do your own install or did you task it out to a shop? I've watched install videos and from the looks of it it seems to be more tedious(removal of panels) than it's complicated.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I just snagged a used one off of ebay and glad to see that over time most of the quirks have been worked out. Did most of you do your own install or did you task it out to a shop? I've watched install videos and from the looks of it it seems to be more tedious(removal of panels) than it's complicated.
Congrats on that purchase of that!

Yes, I did my own. It's pretty easy and takes about 45 mins. You have to remove the nose fairing and that takes removing other parts to do that. It's not hard if you're familiar with the fairings and an Allen wrench.

Off the grid

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
90 Posts
Congrats on that purchase of that!

Yes, I did my own. It's pretty easy and takes about 45 mins. You have to remove the nose fairing and that takes removing other parts to do that. It's not hard if you're familiar with the fairings and an Allen wrench.

Off the grid
‘I’m going to give it a stab when it arrives later on this week. Any tips on making it easier to attach the GPS module? I’ve read that it’s a booger due to it’s placement and the screws having to be tighten down with limited space to work with.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
‘I’m going to give it a stab when it arrives later on this week. Any tips on making it easier to attach the GPS module? I’ve read that it’s a booger due to it’s placement and the screws having to be tighten down with limited space to work with.
Yes, slide the top triple tree and flip it over to secure the bracket on from underneath. A long ballend Allen wrench can be used, but that's tedious as well due to the space. If you don't get the screws started properly before using that, you can strip the threads in the triple tree.

Off the grid

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
90 Posts
Yes, slide the top triple tree and flip it over to secure the bracket on from underneath. A long ballend Allen wrench can be used, but that's tedious as well due to the space. If you don't get the screws started properly before using that, you can strip the threads in the triple tree.

Off the grid
Thanks

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
90 Posts
I was able to install the AIM kit today and it was very tedious but well worth the effort. Question...After I crank my bike up I noticed that the ABS and Generic error lights stay on. Is this normal if the AIM MXK10 is installed on a non-abs Gen 5 bike? I checked the bike's diagnostics via Woolich and there are no codes that I should be worried about....only the lights that stay illuminated on the Aim dash.

Thanks

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I was able to install the AIM kit today and it was very tedious but well worth the effort. Question...After I crank my bike up I noticed that the ABS and Generic error lights stay on. Is this normal if the AIM MXK10 is installed on a non-abs Gen 5 bike? I checked the bike's diagnostics via Woolich and there are no codes that I should be worried about....only the lights that stay illuminated on the Aim dash.

Thanks
No. I have a non ABS bike and there isn't a specific ABS version of the MXK10. They are all the same. I have the ABS light and it is only on during boot up.

What firmware is on yours? You may try reflashing it and going through the settings again. You can check the diagnostics through the dash to see if it shows any code there as well.

Off the grid

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
90 Posts
No. I have a non ABS bike and there isn't a specific ABS version of the MXK10. They are all the same. I have the ABS light and it is only on during boot up.

What firmware is on yours? You may try reflashing it and going through the settings again. You can check the diagnostics through the dash to see if it shows any code there as well.

Off the grid
I updated it to 02.28.36 and I'm wondering if I need to go into the menu and indicate that I don't have KIBS.bike.

Update: Both lights went out after I went into settings and disabled the KIBS module installed setting which was on when I installed it. I guess since it's a used unit the previous owner owned a ABS model and I just need to go through each menu item and tailor it to my bike.
Thanks

Reactions: SkyDork

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I updated it to 02.28.36 and I'm wondering if I need to go into the menu and indicate that I don't have KIBS.bike.

Update: Both lights went out after I went into settings and disabled the KIBS module installed setting which was on when I installed it. I guess since it's a used unit the previous owner owned a ABS model and I just need to go through each menu item and tailor it to my bike.
Thanks
Well, there ya go. Good job.

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
90 Posts
I would really be grateful if someone can provide with me the exact bolt size for the 2 bolts that mount the gps module to the triple tree. Since I purchased it used the seller didn’t provide any bolts.

Thanks in advance!

Watch Product Guitar accessory Font Musical instrument accessory

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I would really be grateful if someone can provide with me the exact bolt size for the 2 bolts that mount the gps module to the triple tree. Since I purchased it used the seller didn’t provide any bolts.
If no one chimes in before this weekend, I'll try to measure one of them off mine.

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
90 Posts
Thanks Skydork…..I reached out to Aim but I’ve yet to hear back from them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I have time I'll pull one out today. I do remember it was a pain in the ass to get them in. I installed it and haven't really messed with it. I do know last track day it wasn't picking up or showing location. Probably a firmware update so I'll have to figure that out this weekend as well.

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
90 Posts
If I have time I'll pull one out today. I do remember it was a pain in the ass to get them in. I installed it and haven't really messed with it. I do know last track day it wasn't picking up or showing location. Probably a firmware update so I'll have to figure that out this weekend as well.
Thanks

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Uh, I kinda forgot about this last weekend. Oops! Now it'll be a race to see who posts up first!

I'm betting it's an M8x1.25 bolt about 1/4" long. That's only a guess though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts