Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
680 Posts
Hell at that point just have them send you a whole NEW unit and just have them troubleshoot the issue... A good company like AIM would probably do that and then just sell yours as a refurbished unit (or just put a new case on it and call it new).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Very interesting. Have you tried updating the firmware? I can't see why that would outright restrict you from access to the GPS screen but it's worth a shot.

Do you know if your speed is tracked via the GPS or the wheel speed sensors when the MKX is installed?
I needed to update the firmware on mine right out of the gate to get everything working. Fyi you get wheel speed plus GPS speed with this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,058 Posts
I'll be that guy who asks about the obvious. The GPS antenna is properly hooked up and connected, right? And you have good sky coverage for the satellite signals, correct?

If you scroll through the settings menu, the head unit will show the GPS antenna part number information if it's connected and being read. If that's not showing up, there's a connection issue somewhere.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi newbie to this forum. Sorry for no introduction add just jumping on this thread. I have installed the mxk10 on my gen 5, am currently at Snetterton in the UK. gps ain't working and doesn't show gps info option in menu.

Any idea what it could be as I thought this was plug and play. I'm certain I plugged cable in properly.

Again sorry for jumping in but was looking forward to using this dash today for the first time and hate thought of stripping front end down again when get home :(

Thanks
Jamie, UK
(y)
Did you connect the GPS antenna that came with the unit?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey guys, I've noticed that WiFi transfer speeds from MXK10 are kind of poor. I am using the dash as the hot spot and my laptop is like 5 feet away. 25 Mb data file took 3 minutes to transfer. I am not sure if it's the WiFi speeds or the unit unable to serve-up the data faster than that. What's everyone's experience on this been?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,058 Posts
Hey guys, I've noticed that WiFi transfer speeds from MXK10 are kind of poor. I am using the dash as the hot spot and my laptop is like 5 feet away. 25 Mb data file took 3 minutes to transfer. I am not sure if it's the WiFi speeds or the unit unable to serve-up the data faster than that. What's everyone's experience on this been?
Yes, it's slow. The speeds won't really increase based on the distance. The distance will provide a stronger, more reliable signal but the speeds are based on the unit itself. I don't have the specs on the unit but it's not the latest wireless standard.

I've connected directly to it with my laptop also. I'm not expecting it to change anything, but I have yet to connect the dash through a wireless network with a router. That is the preferred way to go at the network at home, but it's not really useful trackside unless there's a network configured in the pit area.

Don't expect lightning fast speeds of this thing. That's just the way it is.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I certainly didn't expect WiFi speeds of today, and I ultimately don't really care as it's not a deal breaker for me. I just wanted to make sure it's not something I'm missing in terms of WiFi settings. I guess it's worth trying to see what it will be using home wifi router instead but somehow I doubt it will be different. But as you said, it's not an option at the track so why even bother, unless you have a full team set up with a garage and a dedicated data guy, but who's got that option? Sadly, the unit comes without a cable, which is a pity. Although there is a USB port on the back of it. Would be interesting to see if physical-cable connection is better. I think cable is like $50 so hard to justify. I remember with using my Aim Solo DL, downloading data via cable was maybe 30% faster but still not blazing fast.

I guess the main thing is that downloading data requires ignition to be on. On the gen5, ignition activates electronic throttle bodies (you can hear them). So over, say 3-5 minutes, the draw on the battery is not insignificant. You can see it since the unit reports voltage. So with OEM battery it will probably be fine but with a small, lightweight battery meant for racing is probably a bit more noticeable. I don't see a way around that anyway since the unit doesn't have its own battery, it will always need on-board power to run.

I guess make sure you have time and your battery is in good shape.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,058 Posts
I certainly didn't expect WiFi speeds of today, and I ultimately don't really care as it's not a deal breaker for me. I just wanted to make sure it's not something I'm missing in terms of WiFi settings. I guess it's worth trying to see what it will be using home wifi router instead but somehow I doubt it will be different. But as you said, it's not an option at the track so why even bother, unless you have a full team set up with a garage and a dedicated data guy, but who's got that option? Sadly, the unit comes without a cable, which is a pity. Although there is a USB port on the back of it. Would be interesting to see if physical-cable connection is better. I think cable is like $50 so hard to justify. I remember with using my Aim Solo DL, downloading data via cable was maybe 30% faster but still not blazing fast.

I guess the main thing is that downloading data requires ignition to be on. On the gen5, ignition activates electronic throttle bodies (you can hear them). So over, say 3-5 minutes, the draw on the battery is not insignificant. You can see it since the unit reports voltage. So with OEM battery it will probably be fine but with a small, lightweight battery meant for racing is probably a bit more noticeable. I don't see a way around that anyway since the unit doesn't have its own battery, it will always need on-board power to run.

I guess make sure you have time and your battery is in good shape.
Yeah, the USB port is nonstandard so the cable would be helpful. But as you said, I don't think the transfer rate through that will be significantly faster and you'll still need to power the unit up through the ignition switch.

I don't think the power draw on the bike will be a big issue. Once the pump primes and the TBs sequence through, it should not be using much power sitting still. I'd rather hook up a charging port like the Battery Tender cable that bolts to the battery terminals. You could route that through the tailsection and connect a small charger to the battery easily that way. If you have to download the data, connect the battery charger to it. It won't provide much power with the low amperage charging, but will lessen the power loss from the battery and lengthen the time for the dash to be powered up for download. Just something else to consider as an option. ?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yah, for when you're in the garage it makes sense. But I think for race weekends, I think I'll add an external quick-disconnect harness so I can hook up my second battery. Something like this:

I've seen it on MotoAmerica bikes. It's a great idea to have anyway. Just gotta make sure it's got a water-tight plug.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,058 Posts
Yah, for when you're in the garage it makes sense. But I think for race weekends, I think I'll add an external quick-disconnect harness so I can hook up my second battery. Something like this:

I've seen it on MotoAmerica bikes. It's a great idea to have anyway. Just gotta make sure it's got a water-tight plug.
Something like that was what I was thinking. That battery tender adapter would only work if you're near a wall plug or generator. Not something everyone has at the track. It was more of just a reference point trying to describe what I was thinking about. ;) That quick disconnect would be exactly what you need though! You should have no issues using that to support the time for data transfer. Perfect!

141 - 152 of 152 Posts