Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,544 Posts
I doubt a new 2020 kawa will come, maybe a 2021
They claim to have a 2020 coming.

I would not be surprised if they just made a 2020 RR version only that has upgraded everything...and the base model stay the same, but with the 2019 RR engine and features. Then have a new 2021 ZX10R.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,544 Posts
At one point I thought Starlane Dash were the dash to get... how do it compare to AIM dash?

eBay

·
Registered
640 Posts
I like the look of the Starlane but it is more expensive, requires a separate adapter harness, custom mount fabrication, and hasn't been recommended by anyone I have spoken with.

HustleHard Racing sells and uses the AIM.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
New firmware was release by AiM. Lots of updates that we all have been asking for. I’ll try to get it on the bike this weekend and see what’s up being used on my Kit ECU trackbike.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Starlane da vinci2

$1300au with loom and mounting plate!Im not getting into pros and cons I love mine!2!people I no personally love theirs to!its evolving all the time and if your into lean angle,tracks and a sh t of other its available!heres a few of the different dash colours

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
Starlane is built in Italy do a google search for starlane divinci dash.

It does all of the above and more.... The user manual indicates that it requires a lot more setup than the AIM dash.
And is PC only as well.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,544 Posts
New firmware was release by AiM. Lots of updates that we all have been asking for. I’ll try to get it on the bike this weekend and see what’s up being used on my Kit ECU trackbike.
Just finished my 2nd race weekend yesterday and itching to swap my gen 4 for my gen 5. One of the other racers this weekend has the AIM dash on his 2019 ZX10RR.

His tech mentioned that they had issues with it dying at times and some items like QS not working.

I still plan on getting this as soon as the 2020 ZX10R is announced.

Eagerly want to know you reviews of the unit on the track.

Pros/Cons things you love/Hate and anything that allows adjustments via dash vs. laptop plug in.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
Just finished my 2nd race weekend yesterday and itching to swap my gen 4 for my gen 5. One of the other racers this weekend has the AIM dash on his 2019 ZX10RR.

His tech mentioned that they had issues with it dying at times and some items like QS not working.

I still plan on getting this as soon as the 2020 ZX10R is announced.

Eagerly want to know you reviews of the unit on the track.

Pros/Cons things you love/Hate and anything that allows adjustments via dash vs. laptop plug in.
So there's a lot of good things about this dash that really motivated me to buy. First off is having the laptime displayed on the 5" screen. Looking down and my triple tree mounted AiM Solo2 DL was annoying. Second is it's ability to expand. The DL is a great plug in datalogger but can only see what comes from the bike's stock sensors, so no brake pressure or suspension or lambda sensors work with it. The MXK10 has an expansion port and can take on more sensors.

As for its purpose being the dash, it looks much better and has had some updates that make it work better with the KIT ECU vs the stock ECU. I like the brightness and the different styles of tachometer options. They made the TC switch "instantaneous" vs a 300 MS delay. This is useful for being on track and wanting to switch the TC level. Now you can just count the button presses and get it done fast instead of the slight delay. This applies for the KIT ECU users only unfortunately. Stock ECU bikes must have the TPS at 0% to make any adjustment. Other than that the rest of the dash functions as the stock dash would in my experience.

The one CON I have is that you must use WiFi to connect to the dash in order to download the data or to change the shift lights. This means that the bike must be keyed on. For the KIT ECU guys this means that the kill switch (no keyed ignition remember) is flipped and the whole bike is pulling on the battery while you download the session or make updates/changes.

Its a great addition to the bike and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a much more track ready ZX10R.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,544 Posts
So there's a lot of good things about this dash that really motivated me to buy. First off is having the laptime displayed on the 5" screen. Looking down and my triple tree mounted AiM Solo2 DL was annoying. Second is it's ability to expand. The DL is a great plug in datalogger but can only see what comes from the bike's stock sensors, so no brake pressure or suspension or lambda sensors work with it. The MXK10 has an expansion port and can take on more sensors.

As for its purpose being the dash, it looks much better and has had some updates that make it work better with the KIT ECU vs the stock ECU. I like the brightness and the different styles of tachometer options. They made the TC switch "instantaneous" vs a 300 MS delay. This is useful for being on track and wanting to switch the TC level. Now you can just count the button presses and get it done fast instead of the slight delay. This applies for the KIT ECU users only unfortunately. Stock ECU bikes must have the TPS at 0% to make any adjustment. Other than that the rest of the dash functions as the stock dash would in my experience.

The one CON I have is that you must use WiFi to connect to the dash in order to download the data or to change the shift lights. This means that the bike must be keyed on. For the KIT ECU guys this means that the kill switch (no keyed ignition remember) is flipped and the whole bike is pulling on the battery while you download the session or make updates/changes.

Its a great addition to the bike and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a much more track ready ZX10R.
Fantastic review and this is exactly what I wanted to hear.
I was watching last weekends CCS race footage of one of the guys on a new R1 and how the Dash shows lap times, and other usefull stuff....

I also cant wait to get the KIT ECU... I was originally going to use the stock ECU with my WOOlich flash kit, but One of the main items I want to adjust is TC control, and they still have not cracked that code yet on the Gen 5. Others told me the KRT ECU kit software is easy to use/adjust now so I am looking forward to that.

I mainly like to taylor my tc to have it turned off in some gears like 1, 5 and 6.

Last questions. How difficult is it to control the engine breaking? do KRT kit allow for multiple KEBC maps to be stored (vs. stock 2 maps) and can you change easily on the fly with the AIM Dash?

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
Fantastic review and this is exactly what I wanted to hear.
I was watching last weekends CCS race footage of one of the guys on a new R1 and how the Dash shows lap times, and other usefull stuff....

I also cant wait to get the KIT ECU... I was originally going to use the stock ECU with my WOOlich flash kit, but One of the main items I want to adjust is TC control, and they still have not cracked that code yet on the Gen 5. Others told me the KRT ECU kit software is easy to use/adjust now so I am looking forward to that.

I mainly like to taylor my tc to have it turned off in some gears like 1, 5 and 6.

Last questions. How difficult is it to control the engine breaking? do KRT kit allow for multiple KEBC maps to be stored (vs. stock 2 maps) and can you change easily on the fly with the AIM Dash?
Controlling the EBC via the KIT software is simple and you have (2) maps you can store "in the dash" for immediate use. I use the OFF position for the higher setting and the LOW for the lower setting. And switching those is a simple as you can right now. The KIT system has an assortment of EBC strategies to choose from in the 1.0v software and the updated 1.1v takes those a step forward. Start with 1.0v to get used to it first and see if the 1.1v is even necessary.

One reminder is that the only function that can be changed from a singe button press is TC (with WC attached). Everything else you'll have a hard time making changes (if its even possible while moving) while you're on track. Use the Hot Pit to stop and make changes for experimenting.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The engine braking how does it work, with stock ecu..?
I know 2 settings but how that translates to what the bike does?

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,544 Posts
Controlling the EBC via the KIT software is simple and you have (2) maps you can store "in the dash" for immediate use. I use the OFF position for the higher setting and the LOW for the lower setting. And switching those is a simple as you can right now. The KIT system has an assortment of EBC strategies to choose from in the 1.0v software and the updated 1.1v takes those a step forward. Start with 1.0v to get used to it first and see if the 1.1v is even necessary.

One reminder is that the only function that can be changed from a singe button press is TC (with WC attached). Everything else you'll have a hard time making changes (if its even possible while moving) while you're on track. Use the Hot Pit to stop and make changes for experimenting.
Thank you soooooo much for the detailed information. I cant wait to get the Gen 5 on the track with all the latest hardware and software.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
The engine braking how does it work, with stock ecu..?
I know 2 settings but how that translates to what the bike does?
The stock ECU uses the electronic throttle blades to control EBC. When the rider closes the throttle the ECU keeps the blades open a couple percent and slowly shuts them in a very precise way to keep the engine from backing down to hard. On the stock ECU, the OFF setting is all about noise and gas pollution control, however the LOW setting reduces this somewhat and is pretty OK for track use in general.

I had no issues with the stock LOW setting last year and wasn't concerned about changing it anytime soon. Once I got on the KIT ECU, I was able to feel a difference and have since learned to like the new maps my tuner uploaded for me. One last thing: the EBC settings are "in general" not the thing that you'll see a massive effect in reducing lap times. In my opinion, there is more to gain in acceleration phase of the corner than the deceleration. Think about it like this: if you can make a 10% improvement in either area, you will always gain speed in the acceleration rather than the braking. The highest average speed over a single lap equates to the lowest lap time, not the highest rate of deceleration.

Brakes only slow you down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the explanations. Said another way, you spend more time during the lap accelerating than you do decelerating so having an advantage in acceleration is preferred.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
Thanks for the explanations. Said another way, you spend more time during the lap accelerating than you do decelerating so having an advantage in acceleration is preferred.
Exactly. Keep focusing on areas that net the largest chunks of time at whatever level you happen to be.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,544 Posts
Oh and in other news....they have a Gen 4 version coming out end of September.

MSS PERFORMANCE in the UK....

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,544 Posts
Do anyone use "ABS" in racing? my Gen 5 has ABS and I plan on turning it off, but wondered if anyone raced with it and what you think. Just curiosity.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
Do anyone use "ABS" in racing? my Gen 5 has ABS and I plan on turning it off, but wondered if anyone raced with it and what you think. Just curiosity.
No. The way ABS works (with the current technology) cannot react as well as a mildly skilled rider. The ABS pump literally holds back the pressure input from the pilot that should be going to the pads. Then (because the system is too slow) it PREEMPTIVELY reduces pressure to keep the wheel from locking. I’ve read reports of pro level riders reducing as much as 50m of braking zone (with a Gen5 and the ABS dongle installed) on long straights.

The first thing I did on my bike was remove the entire system. Dropped over 8lbs off the bike just in useless tubing, lines and pump.

21 - 40 of 127 Posts