Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Well, this past weekend I joined the club also! I scored a used one off of eBay that saved me some money on it and it's practically brand new. Came with 24 miles on the odometer. I can scratch it off my Xmas list now and just get used to it on the bike! It's got some cool features and some quirks to get used to.

Attachments

Reactions: g-man

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
dang...as soon I read this I went 2 eBay!!! Lol wish I had of known, woulda been bidding against ya.?
Haha! That's why I jumped on the Buy It Now! Had to keep the snipers away. I got lucky with this thing!

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I'll be that guy who asks about the obvious. The GPS antenna is properly hooked up and connected, right? And you have good sky coverage for the satellite signals, correct?

If you scroll through the settings menu, the head unit will show the GPS antenna part number information if it's connected and being read. If that's not showing up, there's a connection issue somewhere.

Reactions: jd41

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Hey guys, I've noticed that WiFi transfer speeds from MXK10 are kind of poor. I am using the dash as the hot spot and my laptop is like 5 feet away. 25 Mb data file took 3 minutes to transfer. I am not sure if it's the WiFi speeds or the unit unable to serve-up the data faster than that. What's everyone's experience on this been?
Yes, it's slow. The speeds won't really increase based on the distance. The distance will provide a stronger, more reliable signal but the speeds are based on the unit itself. I don't have the specs on the unit but it's not the latest wireless standard.

I've connected directly to it with my laptop also. I'm not expecting it to change anything, but I have yet to connect the dash through a wireless network with a router. That is the preferred way to go at the network at home, but it's not really useful trackside unless there's a network configured in the pit area.

Don't expect lightning fast speeds of this thing. That's just the way it is.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I certainly didn't expect WiFi speeds of today, and I ultimately don't really care as it's not a deal breaker for me. I just wanted to make sure it's not something I'm missing in terms of WiFi settings. I guess it's worth trying to see what it will be using home wifi router instead but somehow I doubt it will be different. But as you said, it's not an option at the track so why even bother, unless you have a full team set up with a garage and a dedicated data guy, but who's got that option? Sadly, the unit comes without a cable, which is a pity. Although there is a USB port on the back of it. Would be interesting to see if physical-cable connection is better. I think cable is like $50 so hard to justify. I remember with using my Aim Solo DL, downloading data via cable was maybe 30% faster but still not blazing fast.

I guess the main thing is that downloading data requires ignition to be on. On the gen5, ignition activates electronic throttle bodies (you can hear them). So over, say 3-5 minutes, the draw on the battery is not insignificant. You can see it since the unit reports voltage. So with OEM battery it will probably be fine but with a small, lightweight battery meant for racing is probably a bit more noticeable. I don't see a way around that anyway since the unit doesn't have its own battery, it will always need on-board power to run.

I guess make sure you have time and your battery is in good shape.
Yeah, the USB port is nonstandard so the cable would be helpful. But as you said, I don't think the transfer rate through that will be significantly faster and you'll still need to power the unit up through the ignition switch.

I don't think the power draw on the bike will be a big issue. Once the pump primes and the TBs sequence through, it should not be using much power sitting still. I'd rather hook up a charging port like the Battery Tender cable that bolts to the battery terminals. You could route that through the tailsection and connect a small charger to the battery easily that way. If you have to download the data, connect the battery charger to it. It won't provide much power with the low amperage charging, but will lessen the power loss from the battery and lengthen the time for the dash to be powered up for download. Just something else to consider as an option. ?

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Yah, for when you're in the garage it makes sense. But I think for race weekends, I think I'll add an external quick-disconnect harness so I can hook up my second battery. Something like this:

I've seen it on MotoAmerica bikes. It's a great idea to have anyway. Just gotta make sure it's got a water-tight plug.
Something like that was what I was thinking. That battery tender adapter would only work if you're near a wall plug or generator. Not something everyone has at the track. It was more of just a reference point trying to describe what I was thinking about. ;) That quick disconnect would be exactly what you need though! You should have no issues using that to support the time for data transfer. Perfect!

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
You mean like this? ;)

I'd have to go try and refresh my memory on the specific steps for that, but it's pretty easy. Once the unit is connected, you select it to show the export options and then choose the image to download. I think it's also tied to the startup screen image under Settings->Screen Image Options. That's for the software itself, but then it gets synced to the dash through another selection. I'll have to try it again later. It's been awhile sine I did that.

Reactions: NickSanto

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
once you are connected to the unit, on the right side there will be all the tabs that show the different options for the dash. One of those tabs should say something like "loading screen" you would just select the screen you want, I believe the image is 800x400 and then export to the unit. I'm working off memory here as I don't have the laptop in front of me, but should be pretty close. I set up mine like this:
That's cool! That's gives me a few ideas for mine after seeing that. Thanks! ;):p

Reactions: NickSanto

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Latest version of Firmware has some issues guys. I'd hold off on updating. I passed feedback onto AiM so hopefully we'll see another update soon.
What issues are you having with it? I just noticed the update released and was getting ready to update it. The last couple of times I've tried playing with the launch control, I haven't been able to engage it. Didn't think it was related the AIM dash with WRT reflash, but the release notes said that's fixed.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
OK, I updated the firmware to the latest 02.28.26 version and updated my logo for it. I stole the idea from NickSanto on that! Thought it would be funny!

Here's the screen for transmitting the image. Once connected to the unit, select it, then go to the 'logo' tab. Select your image and hit the transmit button. Size on it should be 800x480.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
So the issues are with Ver. 02.28.26 and they're all primarily with track-only operation--which is 100% of how I use my AiM dash.

It's apparent that AiM doesn't put as much development into the dash as other products. It seems to be geared for street riders who mostly just want to slap their splash screen on and be done with it. It really needs some Quality Control and Testing by the racers.
Thanks for that info! Yes, that is apparently the leading customer and I fall into that category more than I'd like to admit. I got mine for use during future trackdays and be able to use the datalogging, lap timer, and GPS features. That hasn't happened yet and is more of a whiz-bang, look-at-me upgrade at this point. Because of that, these issues won't impact me as much as you. I wouldn't say their QC should be focused on the racers, but more of a more comprehensive QC in general. How these issues get pushed out is beyond me. Thoroughly testing each feature in the lab to validate them seems like it's missing and the users are the Beta testers. Not real efficient that way. :cautious::(

How long ago did you update and how long have you been dealing with these? I'm concerned that you've had these for awhile and they won't be corrected in the short-term for you. I do hope they get all these resolved quick!

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Read the manual yesterday and swapped images last night. I have the race KRT ECU KIT and two things I noticed is
1. when switching TC the screen does something funky..like said...3rd or 4th gear selection jumps then corrects itself.
2. I do not have KIBS aka ABS and even tho I select off/not installed.... it shows ON on the dash screen. You can see it in the video i post.

I have this for my Race Bike, but....I love it so much I ordered a 2nd one for my street bike....Should have it tomorrow.

Race Bike splash screen from my MC Club.

Have you verified the firmware version on it? The values flashing for the power mode was in an earlier version and corrected in later versions. Are you on the latest? It may be a new issue related to the TC modes or you may not be running the latest firmware on it. The flashing values are nothing new and has been seen before on certain things before. It doesn't affect the operation.

Mine shows the KIBS indicator, but is OFF because I don't have that either. It would be nicer if the icon disappeared if not installed, but that's probably wishful thinking with that.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
there was a rumor at one point that in a future firmware update they were going to add the ability to rearrange gauges as well as add or remove readouts so you can truly set it up the way you want. would definitely be nice, but I have a feeling we won't see that with the MXK10.

ps. I also have the TC glitch where when you go to setting 4 it kind of bugs out and does weird stuff. also sometimes there is a good delay between selecting things like Power mode and it will flicker back and forth before landing on the desired mode. I chalked that up to a delay from the ECU to the Dash and showing the current setting.
More customization on the display would be nice, but I agree with you on it not showing up.

So, the glitch with the TC settings is on mine also. Sort of. If you go through the menu selections, the update is delayed and bounces around some. Thankfully I never use that. The TC settings on the normal display and just pressing the select button up/down doesn't have the issue. I can go from OFF->5 with no glitching if I just do it normally and not go through the menus. So the issue is related to the screen display options for that screen and the way it's drawing.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I have a quick question....How do you set/change the Shift Light/RPM ?
Also I am installing my new one on my street bike with stock ECU and woolich flash. I noticed that the KIBS aka ABS allows you to turn it off or on via settings / moduls, but no matter what you do it stays on on the prefference screen....both my ABS street bike and NON abs Race bike with KRT ecu. I also have the ABS dongle on the street bike so i can turn off rear ABS...

Any Insight?
I also wonder what Kawasaki had planed. The upper tripple comes with two predrilled holes under it that is used for the GPS on AIM dash....I wonder if Kaw had that in mind when developing. Its perfect location and size for the AIM.
Im reassembling right now and will post up after.
Installing this on stock body work is a royal pain in the ass....
I'll respond tomorrow with the shift light settings. It's in one of the tabs on the left.

The holes under the triple are likely for attaching a tool for manufacturing. AIM just designed their stuff to use what's there.

I don't know about the other issues. Mine doesn't do that but I don't have the kit ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
The shift lights are under the "shift light" settings tab. Go to the Configuration options, select the unit connected or saved.

Select "Shift Lights and Alarms". Make your changes and then transmit it to the unit.

Reactions: jd41

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I might get one of these sometime soon. The question I have is, anyone found a a better price than $1149 ?
Any foreseeable drop in price maybe?

thanks
The only way to get one at a better price is to try and buy one secondhand.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Ok,
Thanks. I should have look around more. I do not remember seeing shift-lights, but i do remember Alarms. My software look a little different.

I switched to the analog screens. They seems cleaner and info seems to be easier to find/glance at. The digital looks better, but seems too busy.
In my image above, the version number is shown in the title bar. It's the latest version available at 3.32.12. Update yours to that level also and you should be good.

The units look nice together like that. I run mine in the digital version since it's easier for me to find stuff. I really only care about the tach and gear position the most. I like those at the top portion of the screen. And since the OEM cluster shows the LED tach bar like that my brain was more familiar with that layout and it was an easier transition for me. It's easy to switch and it nice we have that capability.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Good day sirs,

I would like to ask after you installed AIM, does the rear turn signals work? Mine doesnt work but the front turn signals work and they blink pretty fast. Seems like it is shorted? Hope you guys can help me out on this. Thanks in advance😁
Well, yes the blinkers work after install. The AIM has nothing to do with that. You screwed something up while installing it with how much you disassembled to do the job. The fast blink is the bulb indicator warning. It's normal when there's a reduced load on the circuit and doesn't indicate a short. Either you didn't plug them in correctly or you blew the bulbs. Go back over everything you've done to check it all out.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
This will be my next upgrade on my Gen 4. Do these work with the Kit wiring harness?
If the kit ECU works with the OEM instrument cluster then it will should with the MXK10. It is plug and play with that gauge.

Reactions: mte78

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
All of the accessories communicate through the single USB connection point on the back of the data logger. The GPS plugs into that port normally. If you want to add more sensors, then you need the hub to change the number of USB ports. The channel expansion module converts the pressure sensors into a USB serial stream. That should be able to plug straight in to the MXK10, but you still have the same problem - there's only 1 port. You need the hub to add more than 1 if you want to use the GPS antenna and anything else.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts