Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone this is not bike related but very curious on what everyone thinks. I'm looking to buy a new helmet because my speed and strength helmet is about 5 years old and time to upgrade. I liked my helmet but just to much wind noise inside so was looking into these two brands and wanted to see if anyone preferred one over the other? Thanks for your feed back everyone I appreciate it

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
I'm a Shoei guy. I've owned pretty much exclusively Shoei's (except for my Bell RS-1 that's VERY close to the Shoei). I prefer the features and the way they fit my head to pretty much anything else.

I can't wear an Arai as it's shaped different and makes my head hurt. Combined with the other quirks (no shield ratchet, shield doesn't open fully out of view, etc), I don't like them. There aren't many AGV helmets either that I find appealing, but the quality is there and it will basically come down to fitment and features. Weight? Quick change shield mechanism? Venting? Material? Etc, etc.

I currently wear an RF1200 and it's top-notch. I'm sure it's comparable to any of the high end AGVs in terms of quality. The only way to really tell is to go try them on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had both brands.
First, the AGV Corsa. Quality wise great, reasonable venting, absolutely jaw-dropping field of view. But - the fit wasn't right for my head, so had to sell it. I couldn't wear it for more than 45~60 minutes before two pressure points appeared on my forehead. But, I've talked to plenty who fit the helmet perfectly.

Now I've got a Shoei X-Spirit III (or X-Fourteen in the US). It's brilliant. Not -as- great as FOV as the Corsa, but still superb! Venting is great, quality is great. Can certainly recommend it.

As Skydork said: try them on! One might fir, the other might not.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a RF1200, GT Air, and AGV Rossi Corsa. The Corsa has the best fit for the tucked race/agressive riding position. I can see clearly through the top of the visor when in the tucked position. The rf1200 does not allow for as much visibility in that position. That being said, everything on the Corsa and Pista are there for racing. The rf1200 is more of a street helmet designed for sport bikes but is more comfortable for me to wear for longer periods of time. I wear my Shoei GT Air more than anything in the summer because I can put the sun shade down and lift open the visor and get tons of air flow while still having eye protection and tinted lens to keep the sun at bay.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay great thanks guys for the feed back. I was able to go to the store yesterday and try on the RF1200 and it definitely fit great. it was very comfortable and like the pin lock visor. unfortunately I couldn't try on the agv. I have a big head and need a XL and they only had L. He recommended another shop not to far from me to try to see if they have it if not since I cant try the agv to see how I like it looks like I'm going to be going with the RF1200 since it looks like a popular choice here.

·
Registered
569 Posts
All the Corsa's are the same except for graphics. Like i said above the AGV is better for aggressive riding and is lighter. It has more features for aggressive riding (rear spoiler, more upper visor view for the tucked position). I bought the AGV Corsa Rossi Sole Luna on sale for $589 on closeout. Retail was $999 lol. Shoei is much cheaper. If you don't do track days you will happy with the rf1200. Also look for the Shoei X12 as many of those are on closeout and they are more comparative to the Corsa.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
in general shoei is better helmet, AGV has some things but in general I dont find them comfortable.

for me the best helmet right now is bell star pro. with this new internal lining, the quality is impressive, the technology is beyond all shoei and agv in terms of safety.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All the Corsa's are the same except for graphics. Like i said above the AGV is better for aggressive riding and is lighter. It has more features for aggressive riding (rear spoiler, more upper visor view for the tucked position). I bought the AGV Corsa Rossi Sole Luna on sale for $589 on closeout. Retail was $999 lol. Shoei is much cheaper. If you don't do track days you will happy with the rf1200. Also look for the Shoei X12 as many of those are on closeout and they are more comparative to the Corsa.
oh wow that's a good deal. Did you get it at your local store or online? and currently I do not do track but I actually wanted to try it once to see how it is. I have a lot of people in my area and keep hearing them talk about it so I figure I give it a shot and see how I like it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
in general shoei is better helmet, AGV has some things but in general I dont find them comfortable.

for me the best helmet right now is bell star pro. with this new internal lining, the quality is impressive, the technology is beyond all shoei and agv in terms of safety.
Really? I asked the guy at my local shop and he told me bell was not as good as shoei or agv that's why I never looked into that. okay will have to do more research on that as well. Thanks for the insight

·
Registered
569 Posts
Motorcycle Helmets - Men and Women's Motorcycle Helmet Brands - CompACC

Valentino Rossi helmets and Motorcycle Helmets, Clothing & Gear - Champion Helmets | Motorcycle Helmets, Clothing & Gear (From the UK but will save you money my buddy just got the Misano from them for $800 instead of $999).

Sport bike track gear:

Closeout Motorcycle Helmets

My buddy got a pista from sportbiketrackgear for $800 when they went on closeout (sticker price was $1300).

The best thing to do for an expensive helmet is find one on closeout (just make sure it is not old (most helmets have a "shelf life" of 5 years)). It may take some time to find your correct size though.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Really? I asked the guy at my local shop and he told me bell was not as good as shoei or agv that's why I never looked into that. okay will have to do more research on that as well. Thanks for the insight
Bell agv shoei and Schuberth are all good IMO even the top end hjc are nice. It's more whether you're in full tuck most of time or commuting and how different manufacturers fit. I'm big on a quiet helmet and that's one of rf1200 pluses so I went with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Both are good options, it comes down to how it fits on your head and what type of riding you do. For the best deals on current and closeout model helmets you should probably call me or shoot me a PM. :grin2:
Ok great. So I got to go to the store and try on both. They both fit great on me and didn't feel one was better than the other. I did noticed though while walking around the store and hearing random people talking that it was harder to hear people talking with the rf1200 on compared to the agv helmet on. With the agv helmet on I was able to hear a lot more so im assuming that's why people say its a louder helmet. So I want to thank you and everyone else It looks like im going RF1200

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ok great. So I got to go to the store and try on both. They both fit great on me and didn't feel one was better than the other. I did noticed though while walking around the store and hearing random people talking that it was harder to hear people talking with the rf1200 on compared to the agv helmet on. With the agv helmet on I was able to hear a lot more so im assuming that's why people say its a louder helmet. So I want to thank you and everyone else It looks like im going RF1200
Sweet. You will love it. Now that you know your size, hit up Mike @ridersdiscount; for the best prices. Mike even had some photochromic lens for them recently! I came very close to buying one, wish I had. :angryfire:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts