Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am nearly 62, have been riding the 10 for 2.5 years (9 2000 and 9 1995 and others beforehand) and still enjoy it and feel in full control over this machine.
I like very much its nimbleness and the way I "dance "with it on the mountain roads - I am sure you all understand what I mean.
Recently I started to think that perhaps, considering my age, I should move to something else - like the zx14, but I am afraid that I'll miss the 10.
Are there any other old:wink: guys like me here who may have some thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If you want a more comfortable set up try some Heli bars or others like the Vario bars.

·
Registered
465 Posts
bonz said:
If you want a more comfortable set up try some Heli bars or others like the Vario bars.
I think the 10 is still comfortable to him, he is asking if there are any safety issue because of his age. Wise question; If you still feel in control of your machine I would say no. I am sure there are lots of older riders in the world. Rock on man..

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I'd rather be 62 and sober riding this thing that 21 and have had half a twelve pack!
Just know your limits and season to please with that throttle!!

You just told me I got 10 more years..

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The way I feel sometimes at 31 I figure I will be on a sport/tourer by 60....If I live that long.
If I were still riding the 10 at 62 and was still comfortable on it I think I would stick with it till there wasnt any doubt that I wanted a change, sounds like you have some doubt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
im 49 and plan on having a sportbike as long
as im able to ride - i do like riding some of my
other bikes sometimes but will always want to
have a sportbike to play on and as others have
said in this post just respect the hp, that goes
with any age

steved57

·
Registered
250 Posts
arizx10r said:
I am nearly 62, have been riding the 10 for 2.5 years (9 2000 and 9 1995 and others beforehand) and still enjoy it and feel in full control over this machine.
I like very much its nimbleness and the way I "dance "with it on the mountain roads - I am sure you all understand what I mean.
Recently I started to think that perhaps, considering my age, I should move to something else - like the zx14, but I am afraid that I'll miss the 10.
Are there any other old:wink: guys like me here who may have some thoughts on the subject?
Sir, I idolize guys like you who defy the common misperception of age! I'm only 38 and I continue to believe that when you stop living, you stop living. My grandfather started his 3rd career as a COP in Florida at age 75 and he's now 90 (Not a COP anymore) but he's still full of piss and vinegar.

Just like BlackisFaster said, if you feel like you're still in control and there are no comfort issues, I would stay with the 10, otherwise the aggressive sport tour ZX-14 might fit your bill. By the way, I too LOVE the way you can "Dance" with the nimble 10 :thumbsup:

Good Luck :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
265 Posts
bonz said:
He said the bike was just fine the way it is, no need for Heli bars:rolleyes:

I'm 48 and the bike works great for me.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I'm only 59 and am down to only riding 25,000-30,000 per year. I figure I'll get me a ZX-14R style bike when I turn 80 and really start to slow down.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
arizx10r said:
I am a couple of years shy of your age and find the this subject really interesting. The only difference I find between us and younger newer riders is that I factor in common sense derived from years of riding and knowing what can happen when you don't do this.....

This is no way a flame but as an example I normally ride a route which looks benign enough but is extremely dangerous when taken for granted...there are some days when i feel like cruising up this road and others when I go a little "faster":mrgreen: some on the board will understand that feeling of wanting to go faster than other days...

well some of the newer riders that discover this road think to themeselves "wow what a friggen discovery" and feel this need for speed at every turn and straight with total disregard of the environement. As an example there is a straight where you can easily attain on these bikes 135 to 140, unfortunately at the end of the straight is this tight lefthander where there is always water and gravel coming off the mountain...well this road usually claims one person a month...unfortunately in the last month and a half it has been particularly gruesome three in one weekend,....

and the squidlets never learn.....last weekend a group of about 15 came up the mountain, I saw them in my mirror slowed to let them pass, and they went by like hah we own you...so I follow the group up trailing the last at a safe distant and whats he do with his brand new gixxer 750 :rolleyes: runs wide on a lefthander and slams into the mountain...

so our experience and common sense more than make up for any reaction time you may think you are losing....

keep riding, we are the ones who are helping keep the sport alive...how many people have you met that ride for two or three years then get out of it...seems like every four or five years I am riding with a completely new group of riders...:dontknow:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
TL1000s said:
I am a couple of years shy of your age and find the this subject really interesting. The only difference I find between us and younger newer riders is that I factor in common sense derived from years of riding and knowing what can happen when you don't do this.....

This is no way a flame but as an example I normally ride a route which looks benign enough but is extremely dangerous when taken for granted...there are some days when i feel like cruising up this road and others when I go a little "faster":mrgreen: some on the board will understand that feeling of wanting to go faster than other days...
have you been reading my mail :eyecrazy: my sentiments exactly. :thumbsup:

BD

·
Registered
271 Posts
:+1:
I agree with TL. Maybe you don't dance at the same level you used to, but you still dance. Maybe you don't dance as long as you used to, but you still dance. Like the t-shirt says, "those who dance are considered insane, by those who cannot hear the music". I'm 49, and looking at my tires, still a idiot. Do I ride better now than I did at 29, I think so. But now, when the concentration fades or I'm tired, I know to click it back a notch and enjoy the ride. With the Ten, you can always cruise, but twist it up and it will take you places no other bike I've owned can even visit. If in your travels, you flick it into one corner, let it drive you out, and get that smile, you've found all the justification you need for owning a ZX, and for not qualifying it by thinking you're too old to have this much fun. Keep listenin' to the music, it keeps you young.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the great feedbacks.
They will encourage me to stick with the 10 for now and enjoy this great bike.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I can only hope to be riding a machine as hell bent as the 10R when I am 62!!! You guys have all my respect. Not many people would ride a bike like this into their later years.....

On a side note.....My wife asked me this summer when I was going to "outgrow" going to the track....I told her.."When I stop growing!" I will have a sportbike for as long as I can throw a leg over and feel in control. I dread and fear the day that I can no longer do these things. This, to me, is what keeps me on an even keel. I sometimes ride harder for the thrill and sometimes I just cruise for the moment.....:eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I don't think I missed it but if I did sorry.....what about Older Guy..he's 60yrs and still claims to be putting the youngans in their place on his 10. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
bluedevil said:
I don't think I missed it but if I did sorry.....what about Older Guy..he's 60yrs and still claims to be putting the youngans in their place on his 10. :mrgreen:
those are the ones sittin on their porches as he toodles by :helmet:

BD

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
dude riding at 62 is awesome good for you i hope im still riding at that age. i think it comes down to how you feel tho as long as you feel you are capable of controling and operating it i dont see a problem if your 62 or 162. as long as you can operate it safely i say more power 2 you. i wish my dad rode hes 65 and hates bikes now the older he got the more he hates them he had 3 when he was in his 25-40 but now no more for him.

·
Registered
696 Posts
mattfr12 said:
dude riding at 62 is awesome good for you i hope im still riding at that age. i think it comes down to how you feel tho as long as you feel you are capable of controling and operating it i dont see a problem if your 62 or 162. as long as you can operate it safely i say more power 2 you. i wish my dad rode hes 65 and hates bikes now the older he got the more he hates them he had 3 when he was in his 25-40 but now no more for him.
My dad (64) still talks about riding again someday. He rode a lot when I was a kid and we lived out in the countryside of New Mexico. One of the main reasons I kept my Valkyrie instead of selling it when I got my 10R was that I ocassionally toss out the idea to my old man that if he moves back to CA he can feel free to 'borrow' the big cruiser whenever he feels like it. Dunno if it will ever happen. But it sure seems to make him happy just thinkin about it! :cool:

I say ride as long as you can as long as you feel comfortable doing so. Your reflexes may slow down over time, but there is no substitute for the experience and wisdom you gain as you get older!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Guys, this is good thread. When I first started posting and reading the stuff on this forum I fealt a little guilty. I'm 58 and ride an '06 10R but was afraid to say so because I was afraid that someone would flame me with a "what's a guy you age doing with a bike like that!" But I fugured out after awhile that good riders are good riders and squids are just that no matter the age and the guys on this forum knew the difference.

I roadraced until I was 55 and didn't quit because of my age but my mom and dad both became very ill at the same time and I couldn't manage all so something had to give and as much as I loved racing my folks were more important.

Now is when I probably need to get my flame proofs on bucause I just had my knee operated on this past Wednesday. I kept telling everyone that it was an old nagging injury (the truth) that I finally needed to get some relief from but the truth of the matter is that the old nagging injury wouldn't let me fold up properly on my RS125 and move around like I should. I don't know if I'll race again but God willing I certainly plan to do some track days.

Gods speed,
Wuff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts