Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
already did a search nothing.

Anyone ever had one of these? right now I have a Icon helmet and the thing is heavy as hell and kills my neck so im lookin for a new one and ran across these 2 white ones that look badass. ive never rly heard much of AFX or wore one but their DOT and SNELL so that was a must. i dont want something thats gunna split on impact. but i wanna see if anyone has a review in general on the brand

between this one

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/AFX_FX16_Full_Face_Helmet_Multi_Pearl_White--633216.html

or this one which i think its badass lookin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-AFX-FX16-M-WHITE-SKULL-STREET-MOTORCYCLE-HELMET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ6749QQihZ010QQitemZ200219858252QQtcZphoto#ebayphotohosting

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not bad looking but when it comes to helmets, you get what you pay for. And for $100, I'd expect it to split on impact. Basically one step above wearing a colander on your head!

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not bad looking but when it comes to helmets, you get what you pay for. And for $100, I'd expect it to split on impact. Basically one step above wearing a colander on your head!
thats what i thought! but its still snell and Dot? thats why i was wondering? ive found HJC helmets for only 50 dollars more? does price lower snells/dots standards?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'd say that there's not a whole lot of R&D that goes into the cheaper brands of helmets. At least not as much as a top of the line brands. From my experience, with the less expensive helmets, the crash protection may be satisfactory but they may be extremely heavy or they may be really loud.

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yellow10r...have you looked at any of Scorpion's helmets?
this is what i was looking at. i got a ICON mainframe right now. the thing is too long and is HEAVY! the scorps look nice cause their more round and look smaller. im lookin for a nice white one. (very easy to spot out) those w/ the scorps how light are they and how is the noise on them

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
I had a scorpion they are quiet and breath pretty well but are on the heavy side, they are good helmets for the price. my buddy HAD a afx helmet and he hated it but helmets are one of those things that each person feels differently about.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nope -

I never tested it, but it IS DOT and SNELL cert - so no more split-prone than most others...

I had no probs with mine, but use an Icon Mainframe now...

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
A buddy of mine just got the red Crackhead helmet...very nice helmet for the money. It fits much different than my mainframe but that can be attributed to the size too, his was larger than mine. The faceshield removal is different but for the most part I believe we all get use to how they change.

I can't comment on the weight though, don't feel much different. I use to play football and those helmets were on the heavy side, so I'm in heaven with any motorcycle helmet. I paid 290 for my Eternal Sinner and Alex's Crackhead was around 250 I believe. Also, another buddy ordered that exact AFX helmet a few months ago, the white with skulls but I can't really back it up any as he's never said much about it. It did feel lighter than mine though.

The Scorpions noise was lower than my mainframe I think but I don't know, didn't do a back to back comparison. I've also looked into Akuma helmets but I think they have a weight problem too if you know what I mean.

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
AFX helmets are no worse than anything else out there, and may be better in a lot of ways. If you think I'm wrong I suggest anyone to google "Blowing the lid off" and read an article by Motorcyclist on helmets. (There's also a part II) That Snell sticker so many people are so fond of gets blown out of the water, and some of the cheapest helmets in the tests did better than the most expensive ones. I suggest to anyone thats interested in buying a helmet to actually wear one before suggesting that they suck. I also own Shoei, Bell, and AGV helmets and though they are great, they feel no better than my AFX FX30. The AGV cools slightly better but that's about it. Granted The more expensive ones have better outward appearance quality overall, but they don't protect my head any better. And if I have to replace helmets at the recommended interval of 1-2 years, I'd much rather pay $100 to $200 than $400-$600 any day of the week when the cheaper ones do just a good a job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts