Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I've been doing some research on aftermarket wheel materials and just keep getting more nervous about anything other than aluminium wheels. The only material choices I've come across are aluminium, magnesium and carbon fiber. I figure there might be a prototype titanium wheel but found out that even when it comes to airliners it's too expensive.

First off I'm going to start with carbon fiber. Carbon fiber just screams performance regardless what it is, but at what cost? You read and read about the pros of this material and they sound fantastic but hardly anything bad. It's not you don't find anything bad it's just almost as if people are trying to cover it up as they never happen or the standard line, "oh that was just a freak accident". I have seen one or two pictures of carbon wheels(always bst wheels never dymag as they are very rare and supposely not as good), where there has been a malfunction of the wheel and caused a significant amount of damage. One website said carbon fiber is a fatigueless material which I believe to be complete bullshit. You can't tell if there is any damage unless it's surface or you x-Ray the bastards. Is the performance great on them supposely yes there the best but really at what cost of realibilty?

Now on to magnesium. Magnesium wheels are easily the most popular material for racers(havin the budget for them). There are accepted in pretty much all race leagues unlike carbon fiber. Now they are not as strong as carbon fiber or aluminium which does make me worried for street use. I have seen a old video that magicmavis posted of a 1994 race where the rear wheel exploded, yes exploded. Granted this is problem when they were coming out(I can't back that up nor have I research that just a educated guess), and this issue has been resolved but all makers of magnesium wheels say not for street use. I'm sorry but for the most part manufactures no way more about their product than we do to go against them.

Now aluminium wheels are the most popular wheel choice bar none. I have never heard anything freaky about aluminium wheels but then again I've heard nothing special either, consider them the "safe wheel" like sex with condoms, it's just not nearily as fun. Marchesini claims aftermarket aluminium wheels are 25% lighter than stock aluminium wheels, it does not say if that is rotational mass weight or overall weight, I can only assume. Also because of it's ease of use there are more choices of wheels.

My question that really goes unanswered is which material to pick. My lust and performance junkie factor says go with bst wheels as they are the best on paper and in reviews. Magnesium wheels are a close second now that that little bastard in the back of my head is saying you're going to regret carbon wheels and it just going to be way to expensive(crash). Honestly and realistically I'm starting to lean towards just aftermarket aluminium wheels. I'm not rossi and I don't need to be. Is the performance factor ever going to really be benefitical with carbon or magnesium wheels? Hell am I really going to feel the difference? I would rather feel faster than be faster on the street, I don't need to end up in the hospital or crash another bike. Are aluminium aftermarket wheels(marchesini as example) actually better than stock wheels? If so by how much. I hope this will get answered by those who have or had own any of the mentioned materials and clear up any doubt for others.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am certainly no expert on the matter of which material is good/better/best but I have had the luxury of using two diffferent sets of aftermarket wheels.
I put a set of PVM aluminum's on my 2001 CBR929 and I was very impressed. They were lighter then the stick rims and my bike handled like it was a 600. Better acceleration, cornering and braking, VERY impressive mod.

When I purchased my 07 zx10, rims were definitely on the list of wants.
I lucked into a set of Dymag 5 spoke Magnesiums. I was hesitant on magnesiums as well. There were alot of right-ups about magnesium rims used on the street and how easily they could fracture by hitting potholes etc.
Dymags however, were the only mag rims rated for street use. I called Dymag in the UK and was assured these rims were suitable for street use.
Like the PVM's, these rims made a huge difference in handleing, acceleration etc and I am very happy with this purchase.

From what I have read, weight of the aftermarket rim is NOT as important as the MOI rating (moment of Inertia). The PVMs had one of the lowest MOI's in aluminum. Carbon rims were lower still. Almost any aftermarket rim will have a lower MOI then stock, however, as time go by, stock rims are getting better then they were 10 years ago...

My 2 cents....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sport Rider Magazine wrote an article on aftermarket rims back in Feb 2004, thas where I read about MOI etc.
They compared a set of gsxr rims to multiple aftermarket:

gsxr front: 480lbs per inch squared moi, 10.28 lbs
gsxr rear: 880 lbs per inch square moi, 16.8 lbs

PVM alum front: 346lbs per inch squared moi, 7.96lbs
PVM alum rear: 489lbs per inch sq. moi, 13.44lbs

Marchesini alum front: 362lbs per in sq. moi, 8.82lbs
Marchesini rear alum: 496lbs per in sq moi,13.8 lbs

BST carbon front: 217lbs per in sq moi, 5.5lbs
BST carbon rear: 304lbs per in sq moi, 10.38lbs

PVM Mag front: 209lbs per in sq moi, 5.6lbs
PVM Mag rear: 290lb per in sq moi, 9.76lbs

There were other aftermarket comparisons as well but you can see the mag and carbon numbers were very close! Dymag also makes a carbon three spoke and it numbers were slightly higher then BST's.

Keep in mind, this was back in 2004 base on a gsxr rim, not sure where a zx10 rim would fit in as stock or what the aftermarket numbers would be for it.

my 3 cents :badteeth:

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dude that's awesome that's the kind of comparison I'm looking for. Definitely answers the performance aspect. Definitely starting to gravitate towards the aftermarket aluminum.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Do it man! Living in BC, you have the best roads around! We take a week and head to Kelowna every year. The roads from Nakusp to Vernon are incredible! I really miss Sportbike West, many great memories....

Point is, you will love what aftermarket rims will do for you in all those corners!
snipes

·
Registered
388 Posts
BST's all the way, the ONLY aftermarket rims that are DOT and JWL safety endorsed..............

Alot of people around bag on Carbon rims and say they're unsafe, half of them haven't done any research and some of them sell Magnesium rims, and are salesmen that talk down anything but there product.

I personally own the BST's and love the hell out of them, wish I could use them for my race organization, but alot of the racing bodies out them biased on price not reliability or strength IMO.

Either way you really can't go wrong with Mag or Carbon rims, I wouldn't buy Aluminum just for the fact that for the price the weight savings are minimal (they are there just not as much as carbon of mag). :thumbsup:

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's part of the problem too salesmen for the most part don't give a shit other than their profit. I wish that guy did a close up in the video.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm sure the rim was scratched, what I would really like to see is the rim X-rayed for structural integrity. I have no doubt it would be just fine, but I would still like to see it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
bst's all the way, the only aftermarket rims that are dot and jwl safety endorsed..............

Alot of people around bag on carbon rims and say they're unsafe, half of them haven't done any research and some of them sell magnesium rims, and are salesmen that talk down anything but there product.

I personally own the bst's and love the hell out of them.
:+1:
I'm with Goldfish all the way, Love the BST's & wouldn't change em for anything :thumbsup: :2cents:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts