Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around and cant seem to find more than jut bits and pieces of info so I figured I'd just ask......What's out there as far as aftermarket springs and Ti retainers? With my '08 spending more and more time on the strip I figured springs would be a good insurance policy (especially when/if I make the jump to nitrous). Along with the springs I plan going to the Kawi thin hg and degreeing the stock cams (not sure on #s yet). I also may make the move to E85 with a little more convincing form JLAudio11:heyyou:.

·
Registered
860 Posts
If we ever get together you can ride this beast and tell me what you think of E85. I guess once I get the damn pipe figured out.

As for springs, I'm pretty sure you can use the same Carpenter springs that the rest of us can. I'll try to do some research and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If we ever get together you can ride this beast and tell me what you think of E85. I guess once I get the damn pipe figured out.
Thats still not sorted out?

As for springs, I'm pretty sure you can use the same Carpenter springs that the rest of us can. I'll try to do some research and see what I come up with.
That's the route I will most likely go, but I've heard good and bad about them. The bad was in way older posts so maybe it was just a bad batch.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will only be short for a few more months Patrick. As far as "Why fix what ain't broke?" is anybody having problems with broken retainers on the 3rd gens?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thats still not sorted out?

That's the route I will most likely go, but I've heard good and bad about them. The bad was in way older posts so maybe it was just a bad batch.
The pipe is on, just lost hp on the dyno and mph at the track with it. Tryin to get that back.

As for the Carpenter springs and retainers the only down fall I've heard of is their added weight, which will theorectically rob some hp.

Maybe your stock is fine and will be a nice alternative to Ti for the rest of us.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Spend a couple more bucks and get KibbleWhite's Alot better spring and retainer combination and they are easier on the valves. PM me if you have any questions

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Spend a couple more bucks and get KibbleWhite's Alot better spring and retainer combination and they are easier on the valves. PM me if you have any questions
What kind of dough are we talking about for these? I'm about to break into the head for some repairs and considering upgrading while I'm at it with upgraded springs, retainers and 08 Race cam.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I forget what mine were. Give Dwayne at Cycle Concepts a call. He got me mine and I have referred a couple other members here to him. I think they were around 4 something if I can remember correctly.

Here is Dwayne's # 803-285-8093 He is great guy give him a call even if you just want to bounce some ?'s off him.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forget what mine were. Give Dwayne at Cycle Concepts a call. He got me mine and I have referred a couple other members here to him. I think they were around 4 something if I can remember correctly.

Here is Dwayne's # 803-285-8093 He is great guy give him a call even if you just want to bounce some ?'s off him.
I have seen them recommended over the Carpenter's in a few places but was thinking they were most costly than that. If they are around 4 for the springs/retainers I may just go with them:dontknow:

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
The stock retainers are actually lighter than titanium, just not as strong. Seems prone to breakage on first and second gens. Havent seen any third gens broken,......yet. 3rd gens may be made out of better sintered alloy.

I bought the Kawi single race springs and new stock retainers to replace the used stockers. I think that should be plenty good for the 13,500 I will soon be running.

I used to own a RIMAC, done a lot of spring testing. Much stronger springs rob horsepower from the crank as they are harder to compress.

Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The stock retainers are actually lighter than titanium, just not as strong. Seems prone to breakage on first and second gens. Havent seen any third gens broken,......yet. 3rd gens may be made out of better sintered alloy.

I bought the Kawi single race springs and new stock retainers to replace the used stockers. I think that should be plenty good for the 13,500 I will soon be running.

I used to own a RIMAC, done a lot of spring testing. Much stronger springs rob horsepower from the crank as they are harder to compress.

Good luck with your build.
Are you running the race cams or just the stockers? Didn't you test the race springs and find they only increased seat pressure at max lift of the race cam?

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,130 Posts
i was emailing jay the tech from ape racing on tuesday about getting them for my 08. he said he didnt know if the 04-07 springs/retainers would work. they never had an 08 head to check and see if they fit. so im sending my head to him next week and their gonna check it out. he said they can make a set if they dont work and he'll give me a killer deal on new springs and titanium retainers since i sent my head. i just did the .45 hg and intake cam last week. ill post some pics. degreed to 107/104. :thumbsup: QUOTE=strkd50;1507884]I've been looking around and cant seem to find more than jut bits and pieces of info so I figured I'd just ask......What's out there as far as aftermarket springs and Ti retainers? With my '08 spending more and more time on the strip I figured springs would be a good insurance policy (especially when/if I make the jump to nitrous). Along with the springs I plan going to the Kawi thin hg and degreeing the stock cams (not sure on #s yet). I also may make the move to E85 with a little more convincing form JLAudio11:heyyou:.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was emailing jay the tech from ape racing on tuesday about getting them for my 08. he said he didnt know if the 04-07 springs/retainers would work. they never had an 08 head to check and see if they fit. so im sending my head to him next week and their gonna check it out. he said they can make a set if they dont work and he'll give me a killer deal on new springs and titanium retainers since i sent my head. i just did the .45 hg and intake cam last week. ill post some pics. degreed to 107/104. :thumbsup:
Cool.......Keep me updated on what you find out.

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,130 Posts
definitely. actually bought a spare head of ebay for $300. cams and all. head is real clean. only 900 miles on it. gonna put the kawi intake valves in also. so im sending him that one so i dont have any down time. go to indy in 2 weeks so i dont want to be without a bike. these are some pics from last week. was gonna do a how to on it but kind of forgot to take more pics.
Cool.......Keep me updated on what you find out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine will look the same come winter. You gonna come meet up with us at Hooters in Indy?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts