Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im fixing to change my sparkplugs.

I have over 9K on my bike and Im getting ready for next race season. Im taking my bike to the dealer to get the throttle bodies synced, valves shimmed, and to change the plugs. (if theres anything else I should do then, lemme know.)

My question is this, should I buy the OEM replacements or is there a better plug that I should use. Could any hp be made from a better plug?

Im also planning on running VP fuel next year, so I will have a higher Oxygen content in my fuel, would a hotter plug be better?

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
use OEM and no theres no HP to be gained.

BD

·
talker of shite
7,285 Posts
Try racing plugs,can't say much more but my friend used them in his ZXR750 race bike!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Big Daddy said:
use OEM and no theres no HP to be gained.

BD
Diddo, too hot and you will have a hole in the piston, not hot enough and they will foul. You will definately pick up power with oxygenated fuel, although a hotter plug is not required.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
The dealer will probably charge you twenty bucks apiece for the O.E.M. iridium. You can use the plain vanilla CR9 that will make the same hp for about two buck apiece. There is a plug, the CR9EK, the dual electrode version of the CR9 and has made slighly my horsepower in other applications and run about 4 bucks apiece. I am running them in mine. They certainly ain't making any less horsepower. Might as well change the airfilter.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is that an NGK CR9EK?

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Yeah, NGK CR9EK. I got some from Ron Ayers for about $4 apiece if I remember correctly. They are O.E.M. on some of the Suzukis.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Tell us the price you paid for your service when you get it back too. It's a biggun!

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bluedevil said:
Don't go there Hill to save a few bucks and no HP gain :badteeth:

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9400
Thank you BLOO D!

However, I do plan on calling NGK to question them about the race plugs. Im sure the iridium is a good plug, but why would they make a race plug?

Also, if I do the thin head gasket and run VP, that may change the equation...it may not...

Guess its my turn to do a little secratary work...Ill post up what if find out...Ill prolly call VP too, to see what they say.

Im sorry I missed that thread you started before though...:sad:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I guess it is hard to believe that a two buck plug will work as well as a twenty buck plug. The twenty buck plug last longer but every CR9 that I have ever changed went at least 10,000 miles with a couple of thousandths gap growth, probably would have gone 20,000. If you are planning to run the plugs for the recommended 15,000 mile interval the iridium plug might be justified. The way these guys go at it that would be every five years.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
Thank you BLOO D!

However, I do plan on calling NGK to question them about the race plugs. Im sure the iridium is a good plug, but why would they make a race plug?

Also, if I do the thin head gasket and run VP, that may change the equation...it may not...

Guess its my turn to do a little secratary work...Ill post up what if find out...Ill prolly call VP too, to see what they say.

Im sorry I missed that thread you started before though...:sad:

No, problem....that is exactly your only option but your talking money about race plugs, maybe over $250. Not sure NGK can help you though on your specific race application. You might be better off talking to a race team that races ZX10s or similar to get the right info on performance. Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Yeah, and car oil will make yer clutch slip! Do you work on your own bike?When was the last time you adjusted the valves or synced the throttle bodies are changed plugs? Enquiring minds want to know? I've been running the CR9EK for 5,000 miles, probably more mile than you even have on your bike and they are working at least as well as the O.E.M. plug. Ya think my engine is fixin' to fall out?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
swjohnsey said:
Yeah, and car oil will make yer clutch slip! Do you work on your own bike?When was the last time you adjusted the valves or synced the throttle bodies are changed plugs? Enquiring minds want to know? I've been running the CR9EK for 5,000 miles, probably more mile than you even have on your bike and they are working at least as well as the O.E.M. plug. Ya think my engine is fixin' to fall out?
Who are you addressing that question too? :shady:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car oil does make your clutch slip.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
swjohnsey said:
I don't know I guess deadnaught. No, car oil won't make yer clutch slip.
could you explain this.

Cause if it doesn't, then I changed a brand new hayabusa clutch for no reason.

but mysteriously, changing the oil back to a bike oil, the clutch didn't slip.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts