Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at possibly rebuilding a motor. Need new rods (amongst other things) What are the positives/negatives with going to a aftermerket rod such as carillo? Where is the best place to look for pricing for these?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I bought mine directly from CP-Carrillo.. Talk to chick name Harley.
Got the set $825 w/upgraded bolts.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Looking at possibly rebuilding a motor. Need new rods (amongst other things) What are the positives/negatives with going to a aftermerket rod such as carillo? Where is the best place to look for pricing for these?
there really aren't any negatives..Crowers are very good and very strong..$850 for a set..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Why do you need new rods?
The only rod bearings (2) I ever had spin were in carrillo rods.
Save your money, I'm at 300+hp with 0 rod or piston failures running factory parts. My clutch is ready to blow apart but thats about it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you need new rods?
The only rod bearings (2) I ever had spin were in carrillo rods.
Save your money, I'm at 300+hp with 0 rod or piston failures running factory parts. My clutch is ready to blow apart but thats about it.
The rod shell stationary tabs rounded out and caused the rod shells to spin in the rod and burn into the crank.

I may just look at a factory rebuild, however I am just weighing my options.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The rod shell stationary tabs rounded out and caused the rod shells to spin in the rod and burn into the crank.

I may just look at a factory rebuild, however I am just weighing my options.
That sucks.
But if you go into Clevite's R&D website and read what they say about the tabs on bearings, they say that they do nothing to hold the shell into the rods or mains, but are put there to locate the shells properly and that the crush is what holds the shells from spinning in the bores.
Maybe something else went wrong first?
I can tell ya first hand that the stock rods can take a beaten and maintane integrity.
Im still hammerin on Garths old motor. Im at 8lbs on the boost and jumping between 30/40hp on a wet NOS system.
PM me, I got some NA race parts if your interested that I would like to see go to a good cause.
Good luck on your build.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sucks.
But if you go into Clevite's R&D website and read what they say about the tabs on bearings, they say that they do nothing to hold the shell into the rods or mains, but are put there to locate the shells properly and that the crush is what holds the shells from spinning in the bores.
Maybe something else went wrong first?
I can tell ya first hand that the stock rods can take a beaten and maintane integrity.
Im still hammerin on Garths old motor. Im at 8lbs on the boost and jumping between 30/40hp on a wet NOS system.
PM me, I got some NA race parts if your interested that I would like to see go to a good cause.
Good luck on your build.
Just PM'ed you. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Going to measure the rods on Tuesday and see where they are. Reliability is a big goal. One missed round or a DNF could cost me a championship.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts