Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I would like to remove some of the heat out of the oil plus out of the cooling system while racing.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
Yes, I would like to remove some of the heat out of the oil plus out of the cooling system while racing.
I fail to see what's wrong with the oil cooler on your bike already then. It is a race bike already, designed with that purpose in mind. And how will the oil cooler make your cooling system run cooler? :headshake

How much cooler do you want your oil to be? How do you know what the temp of your oil is now? The reading on you dash only measures the temp of your coolant, not necessarily the temp of your oil.

I'm confused.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will explain myself. I race this motor in a lightning sprint car. With me in the car it weighs 946. If we have a heavy track we may not lift for 20 laps. Big heat load on the motor. I have seen the water temp over 250deg. Anything over design of the motor it starts to lose power, oil may break down all kinds of bad stuff could happen. Any heat that can be removed from either the oil and or cooling system will be a benefit to the overall temp the motor is running and HP.

Is there a after market oil cooler for ZX-10 motors?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
Ok, I will explain the cooling system. The oil cooler uses coolant inside a heat exchanger that has oil circulating in it. This keeps the oil from getting too hot since the coolant "should" be a lower temp. You probably already know this, but if you put a bigger oil cooler on it and th coolant is still too hot, nothing will change. :idea:

Your fix is quite simple to your problem - you need a bigger freakin' radiator. The stock oil cooler is more than sufficient, but you need to lower the coolant temperature. That's done though the radiator and not through the oil cooler. Since you're running the motor in a sprint car, you should have way more room to put a bigger radiator on it. The more coolant it will hold and the longer it can stay in the radiator, the cooler it would be. Which will then keep your oil within temp because its liquid cooled! You either have an air blockage on your current setup, or you need a bigger radiator. But the temps should never get as high as you're seeing.

And no, I've never seen an aftermarket oil cooler.

·
Registered
946 Posts
a zx14 rad is a great oversized for it, has the same connections for it and everything.....funny that I have a spare ZX14 rad in mint shape for sale!!! :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
What about using a seperate rad for the oil maybe use the rad and pump off a water to air intercooler and hook it up through the heat exchanger:dontknow:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
a zx14 rad is a great oversized for it, has the same connections for it and everything.....funny that I have a spare ZX14 rad in mint shape for sale!!! :)
This isn't a bad idea. But a car radiator would work as well with a little bit of plumbing changes. A racing radiator would be another option as well.

What about using a seperate rad for the oil maybe use the rad and pump off a water to air intercooler and hook it up through the heat exchanger:dontknow:
The oil is liquid cooled for a lot of reasons, including efficiency, weight savings, space restrictions, etc. I wouldn't conver the system over to air cooled for a lot of reasons, but primarily because it would be a big pain in the ass. Bikes used to have air cooled heat exchangers for the oil, but that was back in the '80s.

Leave it water cooled and just increase the capacity of the radiator.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
skydork

Not sure why you are even responding? You dont offer anything to what I am asking? I deal with heat transfer every day in my job. After market is after market. Did not know I needed to put every little detail for you to analyze.

OK skydork,,,, I am looking for a air cool after market oil cooler that people have used for a ZX-10R.

Pick this apart please!! And tell me I dont need it because the ZX-10 water cooled heat exchange is the best of the best and I DONT NEED ANYTHING ELSE :heyyou:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
skydork

Not sure why you are even responding? You dont offer anything to what I am asking? I deal with heat transfer every day in my job. After market is after market. Did not know I needed to put every little detail for you to analyze.

OK skydork,,,, I am looking for a air cool after market oil cooler that people have used for a ZX-10R.

Pick this apart please!! And tell me I dont need it because the ZX-10 water cooled heat exchange is the best of the best and I DONT NEED ANYTHING ELSE :heyyou:
I'm responding because it's taken 4 posts to get the information out of you as to what you're actually looking for - a conversion kit from water to air cooled oil cooler. If you'd have been more descriptive in any of your previous posts you may have had better luck getting the information you needed without the back and forth.

Yeah, never seen anything like that. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
skydork

Sounds like you already got it figured out why wast our time if you already know it all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bugman,, so glad you took the time out of your busy schedule to graces us with your insight. If have nothing to offer and are so concerned with people wasting YOUR time why in the hell would you take time to even respond:BangHead:

·
Registered
946 Posts
along with the fact you want to remove more heat from the rad and oil....a bigger rad can accomplish both chores for what you need.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bugman,, so glad you took the time out of your busy schedule to graces us with your insight. If have nothing to offer and are so concerned with people wasting YOUR time why in the hell would you take time to even respond:BangHead:
You want to separate the 2 systems? Have a separate cooler for the oil..and bypass the radiator...correct?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts