Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you do anything special to your bike after it gets soaked by a good downpour. I'm sure there are some Brits on here with some good info. :beer:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have ridden in the rain and snow, your air filter will be soaked so you might want to check it. If you leave it wet with all the bug parts on it for to long it might get pretty nappy.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I'm a Brit and I live in Florida , so I moved from drizzle to constant thunderstorms, just a good rub down with WD40 after rain, it smells pretty good too when it burns off, the worst thing though is salt deposits especially after it rains on a hot engine, the heat speeds up the chemical reaction with the salt and especially aluminium , and causes that horrible white film , WD is the way to go.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
KaTooM, FAF
Thanks for the info, I never thought about the air filter, and I will try some WD on the cases to keep them nice. I already use WD on the wheels and swinger to remove grease, grime, etc. and it works great.
Would some WD-40 on the electrics, ignition lock, etc. be OK? I am just wary of spraying the stuff everywhere.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
WD is good for electronics and locks , it does collect dust though, so I always soak everything then rub off the excess, you will be suprised at how much dust gets in your air filter after rain , in England a few years back there was an upset in the weather system and the wind and the clouds would bring sand over from the Sahara and then dump it everywhere , true story.

I always clean the air filter after rain, if you see how dusty your bike is after it dries then times that by 10 and thats how much is in your filter.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I got caught in the rain twice. I just spray mine down real good to get all the grit off.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Clean and re-lube the chain ASAP! Seriously, rain can cause chain corrosion, plus all that grimey shizit you see on the bike gets on the chain "= not good". This is why I HATE getting caught out in the rain (like today, damnit!), because the bike gets nastier that damnit, and then there is the chain cleaning/lubing, and bike cleaning to deal with..... :sad:
Oh, and here is a special thanks to Middle Tennesse weather forcasters..... :fu2:

D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Whats rain? :lol: I wouldn't mind livin in AZ, but I know what FAF is dealing with. I grew up in Miami. I am going to just try and keep most of the metal protected with WD-40 or something similar. I just dont want to see any rust.

Kernow, I will have to look in to that ACF50 it may be similar to WD-40, But if I can only get it in the UK I may just look for something Stateside.Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Agree with Kernow,
I live in Scotland and we can get 4 seasons in a day.
I swear by that ACF-50 spray, it's quite expensive but they use it to protect aircraft airframes too (alloy/aluminium). Very very good stuff and you can use on electrics too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts