Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, two part question here:

And before you ask, Yes I searched the How-to section for forks...

From looking at the manual, it seems like you could remove the bottom slider (so you can change the oil seal) by removing just 2 parts: the fork cap, and the bottom allen bolt.

Is this right? and if so, can I then re-tighten the bottom allen bolt without any special holding tool so the insides don't just spin while I tighten it?

Anything else I need to look for? And can I change fork oil like this as well, or must I more fully disassemble it for complete oil removal, as shown in the manual?

[My only experience with forks is with 80's gen Concours forks (different animal altogether) for which I had to fab a holding hex head tool to re-assemble.]

·
Registered
139 Posts
If I'm not mistaken there is a snap ring under the dust seal you need to take out. Once you take the snap ring, top cap and the bottom allen you should be able to disassemble the fork.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Any difficulties for re-assembly? (I'm concerned specifically with tightening the bottom allen?)

·
Registered
139 Posts
You may need to tighten the bottom allen with an impact, not sure. I have never done zx10r fork seals but I have done a lot of other bikes and they are all the same for the most part.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything else I need to look for? And can I change fork oil like this as well, or must I more fully disassemble it for complete oil removal, as shown in the manual?
I did in fact ask that question. Can't I just pour it into the top, with the slider (and the cap) pushed up ?

·
Registered
700 Posts
okay here is the million dollar question, how are you going to refill the forks with oil......
you tighten the bottom bolt and leave the upper cap loose and then slide the upper tube down and pour the oil in around the spring. done it hundreds of times and yes you are correct you do not need to take the cartrige apart to change seals. But with out an inpact its hard to get the bottom bolt out with out the tool to hold the damping rod. and a most of the time they will tighten up without the tool to hold them.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes, it can be done.

No, it should not be done this way for a number of reasons. And yes this was last covered about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your answer Bugman, and TN10R, if you wouldn't mind pointing me to that thread?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts