Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting 07 ZX-10r in a week or so. This is going to be my track-only bike. So my question is what would be a better upgrades I should invest into. Currently, the only mod bike has are dual Akrapovic slip-ons. I am planning on putting ZX-14r front brakes on it, and while at it, add stainless steel lines. One question I have, are the SS lines interchangeable as well? Should I get the ones for 07 zx-10r and will they fit the zx-14r brakes? What other things should look into? PCIII? Rearsets? Levers? Steering stabilizer? I would greatly appreciate your guys input :thumbsup:

I was also thinking going -1/+2. Should I use 520 chain or stay with the stock?

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
It all depends on your skill level. I am thinking (could easily be wrong) that you haven't done track days before?

Just like or10r mentioned above....and to add to it. You will need sprockets to get the right gearing for a specific track (later when you get faster). There is nothing like coming out of a turn in 2nd gear, and being at 5k or so rpm.

Also I would say suspension and plenty of seat time out there.

You will be surprised at how fast you can be with a near stock bike. I raced with a stock GSXR1000 just race prepped (safety wired & coolant flushed, plastics) back in 08' with just race tires and did alright (top 10 finishes on my first 3 races starting back of the pack).

Once you get significant seat time out there, you will know what you want/need.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. I was always wondering what is "safety wired"? Can I do it myself or it should be done by a shop? What do you mean by "coolant flushed"? Sorry for questions, noob here :mrgreen:, this is going to be my first time at the track...

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
Awesome, you will have a blast out there. Be ready to welcome a new addiction!!!

Coolant flushed..... you will flush out your coolant with distilled water. In case of a crash, coolant is very hard to clean up out there. Some places allow things like water wetter, you will want to check with your local tracks/organizations.

safety wired..... there will be certains areas of the bike where the exposed nuts will have to have a hole drilled and wired to keep them from un-screwing. Amazing things happen at races and track days that normally wouldn't happen in the street. If you have the right tools/bits, it's not hard to do. You will need to check with your local tracks/organizations if they even require it for open track days.

Ask ANY question, there are plenty of folks around with varying opinions that are good.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
For a novice trackday rider, good rubber, propper springs and suspension setup. Dont worry about anything else other than that. Spend your money on fresh tires and more trackdays.:thumbsup:

EDIT: I look at my sig line and then read this post and think to myself maybe I should take my own advice. haha

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know where I can get case savers for my bike? I seem to have hard time locating them for this year/model :dontknow:

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get case savers for my bike? I seem to have hard time locating them for this year/model :dontknow:
Woodcraft is a good product.

Seat time is the most important & don't throw a wad of cash at tires. I run mid pack level 2 and use Q2's. Depending on the organization, you may need a helmet with a born on date within 5 years. As stated before, a radial MC, SS lines, & new pads for the 2nd gen would be the best upgrade. I almost did a stoppie the first time I experienced the better brakes. IMHO 2nd gen 10R brakes are shit.

Check out ridesmart.info for track days. They go to Eagles Canyon Raceway in Denton, TX. That may not be too far from you.

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
There is a link in my signature for Woodcraft case covers. Yoshimura also makes case savers that are more inexpensive, but depending on what type of "get off" you have, may not do much good.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woodcraft is a good product.

Seat time is the most important & don't throw a wad of cash at tires. I run mid pack level 2 and use Q2's. Depending on the organization, you may need a helmet with a born on date within 5 years. As stated before, a radial MC, SS lines, & new pads for the 2nd gen would be the best upgrade. I almost did a stoppie the first time I experienced the better brakes. IMHO 2nd gen 10R brakes are shit.

Check out ridesmart.info for track days. They go to Eagles Canyon Raceway in Denton, TX. That may not be too far from you.
I plan to got on March 23rd @ Texas World Speedway. If I can get free from work, I might try to make it to The Motorsport Ranch on the 3rd...

http://www.lstd.com/

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
Never benn to Texas World. I've never ridden with lstd either, but I do hear good things about them. Cresson is a blast (at least the 1.7 course is).

·
Registered
610 Posts
Mod 1 - Get the steering damper revalved.
Mod 2 - Get your suspension set up for your weight. Once you become quicker, get it revalved or upgraded.
Mod 3 - Fix the brakes.
Mod 3 - Get a track based tire like the rosso corsa. Also invest in tire warmers. Upgrade to a race tire when you feel that such tires are letting you down.

With regards to the gearing. Take it to the track as it is to see how you find it. Change the gearing if you feel the need to. Get 2 has pretty good pull in the gears and -1 +2 is not always necessary.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mod 1 - Get the steering damper revalved.
Excuse my noob question... I am not sure if there is a shop that can do this around me, so would adding something like GPR stabilizer produce similar effect?
thank you for your suggestions :wink:

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
Yes, would just cost a bit more. If you do want yours re-valved, look up Dan Kyle

Here is the link to his website, you can have him do the work as well

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
1st off do track school..
2nd all of above comments
3rd yes zx14 calipers and zx10 lines will work with one another..14 cals have a slightly different mount so lines will seem a smidge long(if memory is right)..
4th..You will be broke in no time but you will be so happy about it..FEEEELL THE RUSHHHH!

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
OH forgot..Some of the sponcered riders don't use their tires all the way..Might get some that were used for testing and have lotsa life in them,those go cheaper..AND maybe pick up a set for your street bike,save some $

·
Registered
173 Posts
Like said above, you really don't need more power for the track on that bike. If you can't ride fast with 160 hp, you won't turn in faster lap times with 170 or more. Suspension setup, track rubber (remember, power is nothing without control) and make sure you are in good shape also. Good cardio and low weight will go a whole lot further for you than an extra 10 hp or some bling parts. All these liter bikes are a frickin big handful to ride fast on any given track day. They'll make you work for those lap times because they are so beastly with their stock power.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Excuse my noob question... I am not sure if there is a shop that can do this around me, so would adding something like GPR stabilizer produce similar effect?
thank you for your suggestions :wink:
Yes, a GPR or a Scotts would work as well. Also, as someone else mentioned, do a track school. Much recommended.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Like said above, you really don't need more power for the track on that bike. If you can't ride fast with 160 hp, you won't turn in faster lap times with 170 or more. Suspension setup, track rubber (remember, power is nothing without control) and make sure you are in good shape also. Good cardio and low weight will go a whole lot further for you than an extra 10 hp or some bling parts. All these liter bikes are a frickin big handful to ride fast on any given track day. They'll make you work for those lap times because they are so beastly with their stock power.
:+1:
My 07 zx10 is a handful! Its work on a tight track. No rest for the weary thats for sure.
I did the caliper and brake line upgrade. It was a game changer, honestly the stock brakes are downright scary. Once you are good enough to utilize the grip of a race tire its another game changer. Night and day. But track time is the best 'mod' that you can buy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts