Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been taking a close look at buying a '21 ZX-10R. The bike will be used frequently for work commutes, so having a lot of low and mid power/torque is something that is important to me. Most of the reviews I have seen, say that the bike is very much lacking in this area (its strength is in the top end power/torque).

So I was starting to wonder if I may be better off with a '21 GSXR-1000R --- going by the reviews I have seen, it looks like the low and mid power/torque is where these bikes excel.

I would appreciate any advice on this.......would the Suzuki be a noticeable improvement? One thing I should say, I am talking about the bike performance "out of the box" in stock form.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cant speak to performance, but my local dealer had these two bikes side by side on the showroom floor and I found the ZX10R far more comfortable (6'0 ft). Also, these are both liter bikes so I feel like "lacking" torque is never an issue but YMMV. Ended up with a ZX10R KRT

·
Registered
2021 Ninja ZX-10R ABS
11 Posts
I had a 2005 GSX R-1000 and now have a 2021 ZX-10R. Any differences you speak of would be relevant only on the track IMO. Either bike would have far more power/torque than you would ever need on the street for work commutes.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Here is my opinion, I have a 2011 Zx10 full built race bike every bolt on and regeared and a 2017 GSXR1000R. Anybody who thinks the mid range is similar or not noticeable has not ridden a gsxr1000r from low to mid range. The vvt works very well on the gsxr.

I would waituntil the 2022 GSXR is announced though. It might be a new model.

A street stock bike I would pick the one I like best and is most comfortable. The GSXR seat to clip on distance is very different than the ZX10s I have been on.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Commuting on a literbike and you're worried about low-end? There's a lot wrong with that whole statement. It really comes down with seat time and getting used to the characteristics of each bike. I've never sat in traffic and thought "geez, my ZX-10 is really low on power pulling away from that stoplight". You just select the gear you should be in for the situation you're in. If torque is what you're worried about the most, then stop looking at a racebike and get a Super Duke or something like that for the street.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A street stock bike I would pick the one I like best and is most comfortable. The GSXR seat to clip on distance is very different than the ZX10s I have been on.
I'm about 6'2", and I have to say that the gixxer is maybe a little bit more comfortable for me ---- little bit less lean-in.

·
Registered
2014 ZX10R
97 Posts
Liter bikes are literally the worst commuter bike. In traffic they run hot, the seating position is not comfortable, the exhaust is loud. These bikes run through tires, sprockets, chains, and spark plugs quicker than other bikes.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,126 Posts
I disagree, a grom is far worse! I do commuting, weekend blasts and frequent trackdays on mine. It works fine. Sure you can buy a gold-wing instead, but I would prefer this over a gold wing for commuting, if only for the lane splitting. A gold wing may as well have 4 wheels in the Bay Area traffic! 🤪

·
Registered
2015 ZX10, 2000 TL1000R, 2014 V-strom 1000, 2019 GASGAS XC300, 2007 TTR125LE, 2015 TEWRYX4
1,569 Posts
Some sport touring tires and some heated grips. Good for you for keeping the sportbike alive.

Of course you can make it a commuter, do what ever the fuck you want!

I sat on both the 10 and the GSXR back to back, over and over.. And honestly, the GSXR was more comfy riding position for just riding around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The bike is great if you rip out all the crap for Emissions. Mid range is transformed. I love it more than my mt09 for commute now. Highly recommend. Also the cruise control is great for puttting highway miles in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anyone pay attention to World Superbikes? Kaw has been dominant and that should tell you the bike handles well..It works on almost every track they go to. Suzuki has not seen a podium is years! Even in MotoAmerica the Suzuki looks unstable at the limit. If the variable valve timing was so good Kaw would have added it when they refreshed the bike in 21. It adds extra complexity and weight for a very small gain. It's not new...Honda put it in their VFR years ago trying to get more torque out of a 750...Also go to YouTube and check out Battle of the Brands with Rickey Gadson...in the end Kaw came out on top with a bone stock engine. Also you can't get high end HP and keep low end torque because it's a trade off with cam lift and cam timming. BUT as said above these bikes have to pass emissions so they are not at their ideal power configuration. You have to adjust cam timing, the fuel curve, and compression to max out HP and Torque. You can't pass emissions in that state of tune. Also said above....These are 1000cc and make plenty of power to commute. To me a smooth power band would be an asset in traffic and so is a bright color so they see you! My second choice would be the Yamaha. It turnes on a dime and runs near the top consistently in WSBK. I would take BMW 3rd because this year's bike is the best they have made. Suzuki 4th...They can do better on styling and handling and they will. 5th Honda...no low end power and terrible ergonomics for the street. Ducati is last...It will fry your right leg in traffic. Expensive, Expensive to fix and maintain. Their bike cost 3 times as much as Kaw and they STILL can't beat it in WSBK unless it's a high HP track. Kaw and Yamaha handle way better. At the end of the day you are never gonna push these bikes to the limit on the street. You will not need max hp and torque...It comes down to which one are you gonna stare at the longest before you shut the light off in your garage.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I like my '16 Tuono 1100 for commuting in traffic, bars make life easy. A lot more comfortable than my 05 ZX-10R, which felt much more comfortable than the newer ZX-10Rs I have been on.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The Suzuki looks really good in Stock 1000 Motoamerica and has the last two years. I think that is a better measurement for track riders and racers. Even in Superbike it is not horrible.

But......................none of that is relevant for a commuter. I haven't seen a good review yet for the 2021 ZX10. I'm sure they're out there.

I still say buy the one most comfortable for you and you like the best. Even on track at the level I ride the rider 99.9% of the time plays a larger role in the better time than the model of bike. The 600s with a good rider can ride with the majority of people on a 1000.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts