Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to get some advice on buying a 2014 Zx10R with 50,000 miles. He wants 4500$. Only reason I lean towards buying it is because he has paper proving a new transmission, valve service, leak down and compression tests, motor being looked over completely, and full tune up within 5k miles. For the bargain price anything I should be worried about. It will be a street only bike with the occasionally twisties thrown in, but mostly commuting. Also has a year left of factory transferable warranty. Thanks for any feed back.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would buy it if you talked him down in the 3k range, theres plenty 4th gens that have been to that mileage and a few on here at 100k+. As long as the rest of the bike is in good shape and you are somewhat mechanically inclined to do some maintenance yourself i its a solid deal.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
I sold my 2004 ZX-10R for $5,000 after 4 years and 70,000 miles. Sold my 2008 in 2011 for $5,000. Had 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2011 gen4 with 84,000km on it (~52,000 miles) from new. Touchwood, the engine and gearbox are still going strong (and it can still take most bikes off the lights), but I have recently (last 18 months) had to perform the following maintenance:

- resealed forks;
- new clutch;
- new rotors;
- new rod and rocker springs that connect the gear lever to the clutch
- new stator;
- new chain and sprocket (first time);

Having said all that, I’ve only been to the track once, rarely mono it, and mostly commute.

These bikes have held their value very well in Australia... average private sale price is still around US $8,500 (with average Km’s).

So, would depend on how it’s been ridden and looked after, but likely to be some consumables to replace in the near future.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have roughly 50,000km of mostly highway commuting and other than consumables and routine stuff (valve adjustment, battery, tires & oil), have only had to replace my stator. Oh, and one of my fork seals is leaking because I've probably done about 300 wheelies on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my gen 4 a year ago with 52k on the odometer because of the deal I got have replaced battery, clutch, plugs valve adjustment fork seals started to leak slightly but I cleaned it and it stop so imo for the right deal it’s worth it

·
Registered
585 Posts
Talk him down a bit more, I like the deal for 3.9K if its a clean bike. These GEN bikes may be one of the most reliable superbikes ever created. I have owned 3 of them. While I haven’t put on near the miles, I never once had an issue with any of my bikes. I see more GEN 4 ZX10r’s with 50K+ miles than any other motorcycle on the road. Amazing piece of kit!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts