Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know a few of you guys have shortened your pipes. im looking to shorten my akra hex. in the mean time i plan on following this thread:http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43092
but before i get in over my head id like to know if the same steps apply when i begin to chop into my carbon fiber can? i plan on chopping about 3'' off.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Just make sure you use a hi-speed cutter on the carbon fiber. if you don't you will ruin your pipe. I did my akra with a dremel tool and cut off disc on it. Worked like a charm. Also take it easy when you drill out the rivets. I took off about 5 inches and it looks a whole lot better. Have fun!!!

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool man any pics? i have a dremel so the project should work out. how much do rivet guns go for? ive never punched rivets before but i imagine its cake.
i see your sig says you have the evo canister, is that a slip on? is so how did you find an akra header to fit it? just in case i feel the need to upgrade in the future, throwing a header in the mix may be a worthy decision.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Why shorten it?

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
You want more sound?
It's best to stay under the radar with these things out on the streets.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You want more sound?
It's best to stay under the radar with these things out on the streets.
haha i know about sound my friend. i was running a 120db rated area-p slash cut! this akra is nothing but a purr compared to it. a nice purr at that. im just trimming a lil bit for cosmetic reasons. i like the way the shorter evo II can looks but didnt want to buy a full system.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any recommendations on how to drill the rivets out. i got the dremel, the rivet gun w 1/4'' rivets and a drill but the bits aren't doing the trick. i think i need a diff drill bit, but what kind?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Shortening can

Just a heads up, when you shorten a carbon can it will cause the temp to rise internally and you will eventually have some breakdown of the resin. Could cause some burn thru.... Which will make the can look like shit after a few weeks of riding.....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Shortening my can has not done anything negative to my pipe or my bike and I did it two years ago......Carbon is still in great shape.

Advise: If the rivets are not coming out after being drilled go up to the next size bigger drill bit. This is also much easier to do on a drill press, plus the cutting of the can is much easier to get everything straight if your doing it on a ban saw. I don't know about akra's but my yoshi I had to drill out the rivets on the inlet side. Then I pulled the core out, cut CF off of the inlet side and cut the same amount off of the core on the exhaust side. Redrill rivet holes, slide the core back in, rivet, and ride!!!!

Here is probably the best thread on cutting down aftermarket exhausts for 04/05:

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13517&highlight=cutting+down+exhaust

Plus wear long sleeves and gloves when you pull the can apart, i itched for like 3 days from all of the fiberglass packing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Shortening my can has not done anything negative to my pipe or my bike and I did it two years ago......Carbon is still in great shape.

Advise: If the rivets are not coming out after being drilled go up to the next size bigger drill bit. This is also much easier to do on a drill press, plus the cutting of the can is much easier to get everything straight if your doing it on a ban saw. I don't know about akra's but my yoshi I had to drill out the rivets on the inlet side. Then I pulled the core out, cut CF off of the inlet side and cut the same amount off of the core on the exhaust side. Redrill rivet holes, slide the core back in, rivet, and ride!!!!

Here is probably the best thread on cutting down aftermarket exhausts for 04/05:

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13517&highlight=cutting+down+exhaust

Plus wear long sleeves and gloves when you pull the can apart, i itched for like 3 days from all of the fiberglass packing.

So you shortened a Yosh? I am only speaking of my experience with Akro.:eek:ccasion1

Here is first bike I ever shortened exhaust on. 5 years ago. Talk about something sounding good!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts