Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a hair up my ass to try anodizing some of the parts that I put on my bike myself. Went and bought a few things and let them sit for the better part of a year. In the last few days I finally decided to give it a shot. Can't say I'm good at it yet but for now, it will do...I'm learning and figured I would put some of it on here.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The things you will need:
A power supply capable of doing current driven output, needs to be DC. I have seen others use a simple old school 12v battery charger. I bought mine off eBay for around 70 bucks.
You will also need sulphuric acid, most autoparts stores in the USA sell battery acid, the concentration is around 36%, you mix this 1 to 1 with distilled water.
The coloring, I purchased some on line via an anodizing supply chain. You can use rit clothing dye found at nearly any grocery store. And last, Titanium wire, I have a Tig welder so have titanium filler rod that worked out well. Also some aluminum wire, also using Tig filler rod. Others use lead plates for a cathode but pretty much everyone uses aluminum wire as the anode connection leads to hang the parts.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a few pics of what I have done so far, my colors are not consistent yet but I have only tried this 2 times. I'll make some more posts with pics of the various steps next time I try a part.

The pegs off my vortex rear sets. Not sure why but they took on a faded color gradient. Think it may have been due to where I hooked up the aluminum wire.
Next but what I did first, my woodcraft SUPERBIKE LIFTERS. One turned out a ton lighter than the other one. They will be going 5hrough this again I'm sure

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I forgot to mention one ingredient, sodium hydroxide...NaOh ie..lye. it is used to remove the old anodized coating and to etch the metal prior to anodizing it. It can give it a more Matt finish but it's durable as well.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I decided to do a sample piece to kinda keep the thread informative. Problem is I am horrible about taking pictures mid job but I have a few more to give an idea.

Degreasing is super important. I use concentrated simple green spray and warm water. Scrub it down and then rinse. After that, any surface finish you want you must do. Once you anodize it is the finish it will have so polish or texture etc to your heart's content. Degrease first so you don't wind up embedding stuff into the aluminum.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After your surface prep or finish is done another simple green spray, rinse and then a wipe down with acetone is a must. Wear gloves after the first degrease. From there you can etch the part with a mild lye solution or just go straight to the sulphuric acid solution.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once in the battery acid it needs to stay cool, I just use a larger pot to hold chilled ice water and set my solution container inside of that.

The white shit on the ground is baking soda. When you pull the part out it drips the acid solution so this was my fix for that.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hook the positive up to the part and the negative up to the titanium wire or whatever you use for a cathode

You will see small bubbles coming off both the part and the negative plate or wire. I wound my wire into a coil to get more surface area into solution. I also have the current cranked up so the bubbles show in the picture.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
A mate of mine doing that at the back of his shop was spotted by a customer, weighing a white powder out of a vacuum packed bag (sodium hydroxide) onto a set of jewellery scales and a cooking pot connected to electric rods!! he was later the same day raided by the drug squad when another customer was spotted leaving the premises carrying a jerry can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Set your power supply at 2 amps and set a timer for an hour. Walk away
A mate of mine doing that at the back of his shop was spotted by a customer, weighing a white powder out of a vacuum packed bag (sodium hydroxide) onto a set of jewellery scales and a cooking pot connected to electric rods!! he was later the same day raided by the drug squad when another customer was spotted leaving the premises carrying a jerry can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Damn, yeah I'm doing it away from people in my own garage lol but I can see some nosey ass random calling the cops on someone minding thier own damn business. Fuck people lol

·
Chairman of the Board
16,037 Posts
Nice man! I think its great your doing it yourself!
So you are diluting the 36% Sulfuric 1 to 1 with distilled water?

·
Registered
668 Posts
This thread is great. You're living one of my garage goals with self anodizing. I always thought it was super complicated and needed to be professionally done but this is inspiring and I may want to try it someday. I've called my local coating shop in past for a custom quote and it's super expensive! Keep updating this thread with your progress please.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I thought anodizing was much more harder, doesn't really seem like it once you source all the correct parts. Congrats on your project, end product looks great!

What's the trick to getting anodizing to last long, for instance you know how if you buy "chinese parts" they usually fade after not too long...

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice man! I think its great your doing it yourself!
So you are diluting the 36% Sulfuric 1 to 1 with distilled water?
Yeah, buy battery acid and dilute 1 to 1. Better to lean towards slightly stronger on sulphuric acid from what I can tell and yes it will work with tap water as long as u don't have hard water or too much crap in your water

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so to just show that it doesn't always come out right and I can't be sure as to which one reason it was or is the way it is, here is a piece of cheap aluminum I got from home Depot, I don't know the aluminum content. I know it's not billet and that when I tried to weld it, it prefered to turn into a blob rather than flow like some nice 6061 I have welded before. I have done various things with this piece like polish, sand, and buff, and have had the temp climb cause I forgot to use ice, I have not heated the dye and the blank area is actually an area that is anodized and sealed so wouldn't take color. Too high a current, too low etc there are tons of things that can go wrong so don't think it is always easy cause it's not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts