Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How should I go about doing this? The service manual adjustments don't allow me to pull the clutch in with two fingers.

Should I leave the adjustment at the bar and adjust at the motor to get the lever to engage/disengage the clutch futher out? Or adjust at the motor then readjust at the bar? I just don't want to get the whole thing out of adjustment or messed up!:dontknow:

·
Registered
804 Posts
mjg68901 said:
How should I go about doing this? The service manual adjustments don't allow me to pull the clutch in with two fingers.

Should I leave the adjustment at the bar and adjust at the motor to get the lever to engage/disengage the clutch futher out? Or adjust at the motor then readjust at the bar? I just don't want to get the whole thing out of adjustment or messed up!:dontknow:
I don't know if this is right or not but I have mine adjusted like that for my launching and my wheelies and I adjusted mine at the bar and have had no problem.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you adjust the wheel way out and how did you keep the freeplay gap at about 1/8" ? When I spin the wheel out, there isn't anymore freeplay in the cable/lever.

·
Registered
216 Posts
carefull taking the play out of the lever when you turn the bars some it will start to engague the clutch.... also if you take all the play out of the lever and make it tight you may start slipping the clutch at high rpm.... sure take most if not all play out but make sure when you turn the bars the arm that engages the clutch is not moving when your turning the bars....

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have pretty small ghands and I had the same problem. I bought pazzo shoties and it still didnt work so I just started to clutch with all four fingers. It takes to much movent to disengage the clutch. the only way to change it would be to change the lever length(closer to the pivot) at the engine side and I dont know anyone who has anything for that.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool!!!:mrgreen: That is how I did it on my old bike, and knew how to do it I guess you could say. The fine adjustment just seemed to be easier to get the lever adjusted at all spots (two finger or full hand) on my other bike.

I have to admit that I am coming over from the Honda world to the WONDERFUL and not the least to say AMAZING Kawasaki (ZX10r:eyecrazy:) I just wanted to make sure, before I messed anything up on my new MONSTER, that I was doing it right.

Thanks for the info!:hello:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI....I just got done adjusting my clutch so that I can two finger pull it. I did adjust the primary and fine adjustment both. I made sure that I adjusted the primary only a little bit, but the wheel I adjusted out til the free play was almost nothing. I did turn the bars to see how much the cable pulled on the clutch linkage and it was very minimal.

When doing this keep in mind how much tension there is on the linkage at the clutch. I adjusted it back and forth til I could find the spot where it won't disengage the clutch at high rpm's and then did more fine adjustment.

Long story short, the fine adjustment will probably do the trick, just have to mess with it a bit. Just watch when you turn those bars to see if it is moving the linkage. I will keep a eye on it though!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Works grrrrrreat!:mrgreen: I actually have to adjust the fine back in a lil bit. No problems here though with adjusting the fine quite aways out.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was out today and did notice one thing. When up shifting through gears 1-3, then I release the clutch and a "shifting/gear engages" noise is present. Now, when I pull the clutch in with four fingers (clutch lever is all the way to the clip-on) and release I don't get the noise. What is this, why is it doing this and, a dumb question, is this bad for the clutch/gears?

I don't get any clutch release/spin out at high RPM though. If I fine adjust further out it seems to remedy the noise a bit, but the clutch engages way to far into full release. How can I keep the placement of the clutch lever and keep the thing from making this noise?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have read a few posts about the 10r shifting problems. Is this noise I am hearing just a 10r thing or is it the way I am engaging/disengaging the clutch? Can someone shed some light on this for me please?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went out again today and decided to try something. I left my fine adjustment where it was and shifted like I had been. It was making the same noise again when I decided to release the lever not even a second more after I switched gears and it didn't do it.

It almost seems as if it isn't going completely into gear or I am shifting to fast at lower speeds. Anyone?:dontknow:

The bike has 1900 miles on it and no I haven't changed the oil since I bought it. It had 1850 miles on it when I bought it. I am going to change the oil soon and see what happens, but this just seems strange to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts