Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about the adjustable ECU from Kawasaki and doin cams at the same time. Is this going to be worth the few hundred more dollars than the Powercomander instead? I would really like to clear up the dead spot between idle and 5000 RPM and would like your opinions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, the ECU from Kawi will allow more adjustment. The problem people run into is that it is almost triple the cost of a PC3 once you buy the ECU, harness, and all the cables that you need to actually tune the ECU. Add to that the level of difficulty that the Kawi software adds and the lack of people who actually know how to use it, and it becomes a cool thing to have...but it usually won't pull as much power as a PC3 and a ignition box.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm thinking about the adjustable ECU from Kawasaki and doin cams at the same time. Is this going to be worth the few hundred more dollars than the Powercomander instead? I would really like to clear up the dead spot between idle and 5000 RPM and would like your opinions.
That dead spot might get cleared up by a simple 1/5 throttle conversion.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Shit mine pulled 4-5 more horsepower everywhere throughout the entire powerband than the pc3usb & ignition module on my 06 ZX-10R.....my powerband is sooooo smooth and broad than the powercommander which has dips and curves...Plus my torque curve is smooth and linear as well !!!Kawi Ecu all the way "bro" and plus you can take away or add ignition timing from the motorcycle aslo.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Work with your budget.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the ECU from Kawi will allow more adjustment. The problem people run into is that it is almost triple the cost of a PC3 once you buy the ECU, harness, and all the cables that you need to actually tune the ECU. Add to that the level of difficulty that the Kawi software adds and the lack of people who actually know how to use it, and it becomes a cool thing to have...but it usually won't pull as much power as a PC3 and a ignition box.
When you talk about cables and harness, Do I need a new wiring harness too? And What cables are you refering too? My dealer will sell me the ECU for 600. What else is needed?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok, here is a reply to two different posts on this thread.

A PC3 USB IS a Power Commander (PC= Power Commander and 3 is the current version)

As for the ECU from Kawi, here is a link to there catalog and the ECU http://kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.as...ductCatalog/PCCatalogTypes.asp?intCatalogID=1
You will see that you must buy the ECU, adapter for your computer (to tune it) and a main harness adapter. And like I mentioned earlier, most people will not understand the Kawi system when it comes to tuning. It is not like the PC3 at all. Plus you can do everything with a PC3 and ignition module that you can do with the Kawi ECU set up....and for around $2-300 less!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you want the PCIIIusb and ignition module together for the 06/07 model i have both of them for sale for $450.00 !!! P.M. me if your interested in them...

·
Registered
765 Posts
i seen on a post before someone got both the ECU and PCIII it was on a zx6r but i assumed he brought the ECU first couldnt map it so add a PCIII to map his fuel, but he posted his dyno graph and it was the smoothest graph i ever seen!!.......i was thinking bout it cause i hear so many stories bout these tre's and things and the ECU comes wit a 0 map but it also eliminates emission, timing retards, speed limits and any other restrictions and since it plugs in stock harness you can add PCIII that can be mapped at almost all local perfromance shops and PCIII cost less then adapter for ECU kit that no one knows how to map?

·
Registered
71 Posts
So why would you buy both a Kawi race ECU and a PC3? You still can not adjust your timing unless you either buy the extra Kawi parts to map their ECU or you buy yet another box (still don't know where 3 different ECU size boxes are going to fit) from Dynojet to adjust the timing. I am not saying that the Kawi ECU isn't a great thing...just that for less money you can buy a PC3 and a timing box. The only thing those don't take care of (as far as i know) is the top speed limiter...but even then the stock ECU might cut ignition out to limit speed...which then would take out the speed limiter.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
are you looking to make it into a track only bike?

·
Registered
363 Posts
kawtipping, the race ecu replaces the stock ecu, so there is no additional mounting problems associated with it. You only have to fit the PC3 and ignition module.

·
Registered
71 Posts
kawtipping, the race ecu replaces the stock ecu, so there is no additional mounting problems associated with it. You only have to fit the PC3 and ignition module.
True, but you are defeating the purpose of buying the race ECU if you still get a PC3 and the ignition box. Everything the race ECU does, the other combo does as well...except for the top speed limiter, not sure how Kawi holds it back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts