Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I could add links to my stock chain. I got a killer deal on a 45t 525 sprocket and cant afford a new chain. Can I add master links to the stock chain? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
if ya have a chain breaker and some stock links it can be done

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
yeah, it can be done.....is the stock chain fairly new?....i dont know anything about it really, but i would think you wouldnt wanna add new links to an old chain....:dontknow:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
BadAzzGuitarPlyr said:
yeah, it can be done.....is the stock chain fairly new?....i dont know anything about it really, but i would think you wouldnt wanna add new links to an old chain....:dontknow:
I've gotten thru races doing it but only when we could'nt get a new chain and needed to add links for a gearing change, would coin up for new if ya can

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
You can add links, but it's not just master links. A chain has alternating "innies" and "outies". Master links are all "outies". You'll have to find an extra "innie" somewhere.

:D

Personally, I would not do it this way except in a pinch to get through a race (or to get home after a chain failure out on the road). Every master link has a little element of risk going along for the ride. There's no way to install a chain without one master link, but one master link is half the failure risk of two. You are not in that much of an emergency ... the bike can still be ridden with the sprockets that you have, until you have the $ for a new chain.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
GoFaster said:
You can add links, but it's not just master links. A chain has alternating "innies" and "outies". Master links are all "outies". You'll have to find an extra "innie" somewhere.

:D

Personally, I would not do it this way except in a pinch to get through a race (or to get home after a chain failure out on the road). Every master link has a little element of risk going along for the ride. There's no way to install a chain without one master link, but one master link is half the failure risk of two. You are not in that much of an emergency ... the bike can still be ridden with the sprockets that you have, until you have the $ for a new chain.
:+1: well said :mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts