Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just retired from the Air Force and am on terminal paid leave. I've already outprocessed from the base. I still have a bit more than 2 months leave to go. Has anyone ever just taken a job just to make sure that you had something? I just accepted one and it pays ok but not for what I'm used to but with my retirement it works out a couple of hundred better a month. I'm still looking and waiting to hear back on several much higher paying jobs. I'm worried that I may have jumped the gun a bit but I know the job market sucks. The plus side is that at least for a bit I'll be collecting 2 full time paychecks.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Start with that to hold you over until you get what you really want...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Start with that to hold you over until you get what you really want...
..a bird in the hand..

Its always easier to get a job when you have a job.
:+1:

When I got out of the Military after 9yrs active(joined the National Guard though when seperated Weekend Warrior) I took a job for crap $$$$ with Apple Computer building Computers.

I just kept on searching while bringing in a pay check and staying active. My next job 6months later I was a Field Engineer maintaining critical Spy Satellite systems for the Air Force(edit Civilian Contractor) but with a much bigger paycheck and big mark on the Resume going forward. :wink:

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Seems like that Apple experience wasn't wasted after all... :wink:
It was fun and ok but when from clocking in to having an office real quick, the military background and National Guard was not wasted. :wink:

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have to write EPRs, Decs & do .ppt briefs? :hello:
Nope :mrgreen: I get to install instrumentation on the Caterpillar machinary for testing.

Yes I took the job, I just want to make more money :spit: How else am I supposed to get one of those new Gen IV's?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so I accepted the job on Monday and today I got a call for the job I want in California. I haven't started the other job yet and am not scheduled to start until 10 Sept. Now I'm just waiting to get hired on by the new company so I can tell the local company good bye.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
So I just retired from the Air Force and am on terminal paid leave. I've already outprocessed from the base. I still have a bit more than 2 months leave to go. Has anyone ever just taken a job just to make sure that you had something? I just accepted one and it pays ok but not for what I'm used to but with my retirement it works out a couple of hundred better a month. I'm still looking and waiting to hear back on several much higher paying jobs. I'm worried that I may have jumped the gun a bit but I know the job market sucks. The plus side is that at least for a bit I'll be collecting 2 full time paychecks.
I hired on in management with Norfolk southern Rail Road while I was on terminal leave out of the Marine Corps. The Railroads are booming in hiring now days because 55% of its workforce is retiring in the next 5 years. its something to look into and being in Arizona the two major railroads out there are BNSF and UP on the east coast its NS, CSXT and CN. the railroad has 4 retirements and is a very very good job as well as secure. I make over 90K a year and have only worked for them for 6 years now. just something to keep in mind, this buisness loves military.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I just landed the job that I wanted out in California. I just sent in my resignation to the other job that I didn't want, glad I never actually started.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts