Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
maybe i am the only person that still uses it. I installed ferodo pads, accossato master, stainless lines and I can outbreak my buddy's gsxr with t-rotors and brembo master. Now I haven't tried to pulling the fuse and seeing how much better it feels. This is the only track bike I have ridden and have nothing else to compare it to.

Maybe (maybe) riding around like grandma on Sunday morning on her way to church, but you aren't doing shit with an ABS module when it comes to shortening the stopping distance versus a non-abs bike against even a mediocre rider.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
My .2 cents.
you are riding hard on the street, get a ABS, when I ride I get rain, dirt, etc. So I feel more confident in slaming the brakes in a emergency and for me brakes a lot and I can brake deeper because It activates when necesary.
Race... get a non abs bike.

I had in my GSXrk5 RCS19, brembo M4, lines, pads.....and it was better in power and feel brakes than my ABS gen4 with RCS19, m4 and same pads...
So it gives me a better comparo because the only thing that changed was the sistem. even same fuild Repsol 5.1.

But I feel safer with my ABS bike.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,219 Posts
maybe i am the only person that still uses it. I installed ferodo pads, accossato master, stainless lines and I can outbreak my buddy's gsxr with t-rotors and brembo master. Now I haven't tried to pulling the fuse and seeing how much better it feels. This is the only track bike I have ridden and have nothing else to compare it to.
Pulling the fuse won't change anything in terms of what it feels like. The reason it feels like it does is because the fluid has to go through the ABS module before going back out to the calipers. Pulling the fuse will just disable the system from working. The increased feeling comes by bypassing the ABS module like the other bikes and going from the master cylinder directly to the calipers.

And it sounds like your friend isn't very comfortable on the brakes which is why you're out stopping him.

Remember, the purpose of ABS is to allow you to stop while in CONTROL. It's not there to provide shortened stopping distances. In low traction situations, it provides the control needed keep the bike upright and can shorten the stopping distances as a result of staying upright and not locking the wheels. But when ABS intervenes, it usually increases the stopping distance in order to maintain control.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,219 Posts
So in perfect conditions a ABS and no aBs bike should brake the same......
No, not necessarily. ABS has the potential to stop better, but there's TONS of factors for this to work out. A person simply can't make such a generic statement.

Braking is only as good as good as the tires. Shitty, slippery tires that don't grip won't out-stop an non-ABS bike with good tires and a competent rider. How good is the ABS system? Does it use prediction modelling or does it actually look at the wheel speeds or both? What's the resolution of the sensors calculating the wheels? How fast can the ABS module adjust to a lock up scenario? How much of a safety factor does the ABS put on top of the lock up?

See what I'm getting at? ABS works well to automatically adjust to differing traction scenarios and also can add a mental aspect of braking for new riders. Everything being equal - competent rider, the bike, the tires, the pavement, etc, etc then a good ABS system will likely stop as good as a competent rider on a non-ABS bike can. Now, throw in wet pavement, shitty tires, poor rider and the ABS will likely win due to the other crashing out.

But my own person opinion is I want nothing to do with ABS on my bike. Braking for me is about feel. ABS can't ever provide the same feeling as non-ABS and I'm very particular about how I like the brakes to feel. I don't want to just mash the lever and let the computer figure it out. ABS has it's advantages for certain conditions and certain riders for sure, but I don't want it.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
could not agree more....

I had better feel on the gixxer, but the confidence on the abs makes for me all the diference.

If I had a race bike, I would be non abs

·
Registered
83 Posts
What's the reason for needing to plug the ABS module?
Is an airtight seal required for sensors and servos to operate properly or is it more to prevent any residual brake fluid from leaking out and onto components around the module?

Just bought the Spiegler kit for the Gen4 non-ABS.
Planning to remove all the current lines and pipes, plug the ABS module somehow (not sure which method yet), pull the two ABS fuses, and install the Spiegler lines.

Sounds like a solid plan?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
You are correct it is to stop the spillage of errant fluid, but you do not need to pull the fuses once you have disconnected the lines to the ABS block.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,219 Posts
You are correct it is to stop the spillage of errant fluid, but you do not need to pull the fuses once you have disconnected the lines to the ABS block.
^^^^What this guy said. It's also to keep debris out of the ABS module to keep it working properly if you ever want to hook it up again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Resurrecting this great post.
Winter cometh and it's time to replace ABS with some steel braided lines.

Does anyone know the metric number of the threads on the ABS module? I am thinking about getting a screw in plug and wondering what size might work?

Thinking about something like this attached picture.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Be prepared if your changing oem lines to braided on a gen4 ABS!!A prick of a job!every line junction point are that hard to undo you must use a C/pipe spanner or you will round the heads!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll be going from the master cylinder straight to the calipers.
Just looking for the best way to plug up that ABS module.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
So im thinking about doing this. Can someone post a pic of this pita bolt people are talking about. Either removing the swingarm or cutting a allen key? Also what calibers are people using. Thinking going with the brembo cafe racer. Not sure if the rear will fit thoigh since its for the older gen.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
So im thinking about doing this. Can someone post a pic of this pita bolt people are talking about. Either removing the swingarm or cutting a allen key? Also what calibers are people using. Thinking going with the brembo cafe racer. Not sure if the rear will fit thoigh since its for the older gen.
that rear caliper bracket wont work on a gen 4 as no location for the speed sensor, no speed sensor no ride.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The underslung carrier you need is Agras from Japan to mount that Brembo cnc caliper if your is a gen4!also you can remove your rear ABS lines on a gen4 without removing your swingarm

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The underslung carrier you need is Agras from Japan to mount that Brembo cnc caliper if your is a gen4!also you can remove your rear ABS lines on a gen4 without removing your swingarm

Yup the Agras works great on the Gen4 and you need it for the sensor retention. You will also need a custom brake line depending on which caliper you actually end up using as different calipers have the line holes in different places etc

ROGUE RACING Braking Solutions for the Rear of the Bike

61 - 80 of 106 Posts