Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wanting to install a walbro 255 intake in my first gen but want to bypass the factory fpr and run the line coming off the fuel pump directly out the tank to an adjustble fpr..no wth question is do i need a return line or is the system returnless??

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
The stock system is a return system: the stock regulator is installed in the fuel pump assembly and just recirculates any fuel above the static fuel pressure back into the tank. If you plan on using the stock fuel pump housing & higher than stock fuell pressure, you are going to have modify/eliminate the stock regulator first. I've seen people fill them with epoxy, or you could turn a solid blank to replace it.

If you want to eliminate the stock FPR and use an external regulator, then you will have to run a return line of some sort.

...building a turbo kit? :) If you're looking for a in tank pump for higher HP, look at the new Stealth pumps from Aeromotive. They are the same dimensions as the Walboro, but flow much better especially at higher pressures. Lemmie know if you need any help.... I have a couple modified fuel pumps laying around & I could snap a few pictures for ya.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some pics would be great bro....damn a return line huh?i wonder how i can set one up and still look clean

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Let me bust out the camera... give me a day or two as I just accidentally smashed my main laptop right after I posted that. :(

The return line is easy to keep clean: you just use a bulkhead fitting under the tank anywhere and run some AN line & a 90 degree fitting right to it..... it's more of a chore to mount the regulator somewhere. Making the pump work without the regulator is a whole 'nother animal. I have a couple different Kawi pumps and a couple different ways to make it work.... I'll post up some pictures of them tonight.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
First is a pic of a simple bulkhead installed on my Concours tank for a return... I just screwed a 90 NPT -> -4 AN fitting in that and ran it to my regulator. Plenty of room under any tank for that.

Second is the bulkhead fitting (this time a straight one with the 90 on the return line) hardware for my zx10r tank pre-drilling/installation. Any spot flat about the size of a nickel will work for a bulkhead fitting (it's going almost exactly where it's touching the tank in the photo when I get around to drilling it).

3rd shot is a distribution block I made for my external FPR on the ZX10... just turned & drilled a piece of round alum. stock and milled the sides flat. There's also a fitting there for my fuel pressure gauge hose (the braided -3 line in the picture).

The last two are two different ways to do the pump mod: the first shows the regulator itself removed from the pump. You could machine a plug/blank to replace it, or just fill the regulator with fuel-safe epoxy to disable it. Notice the pump wouldn't fit with an aftermarket plug, so the tabs are -soldiered- in place. The second pump was actually an experiment... I had the wrong Walboro pump laying around from another project and wanted to make it work (the outlet was on the wrong side.. they come in 2, 180 degree configurations). There is no regulator at all, or filter in that one, so an in-line filter has to be mounted somewhere else in the fuel system. In hindsight, it's just a lot easier to use the right damn pump. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
oops... sorry about the huge size... thought it would auto-resize those. :(

If you wanted a pump assembly modded I could walk you through it step-by-step: it's not hard to do. Drilling the tank is easy, you just have to catch/remove all the chips when you're finished. Having an external FPR makes is a bit of a hassle to remove the tank, as the fuel will free-flow from the lines when they are disconnected from the pump (keep caps handy!). I'm a big fan of the new 'Push-Loc' syle hoses and fittings.... makes for a nice clean, modular way to put together a system. A little pricey after ALL THE DAMN FITTINGS YOU HAVE TO BUY, but fast ain't cheap, right?

Free teaser on why the zx10 needs all that.... so close to finally getting this thing running after all these years/setbacks!

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
Very interesting thread... Just dropped my spare housing off at my local shop to have a return line installed/welded to the small bit of empty space at the bottom of the pump housing. Been thinking about this idea for at least a year and finally decided to go thru with it.

I bought an external 10 micron filter and a FPR and plan to have it all mounted up similar to the picture you have with the hose making a 180 turn to the outlet. The stock fuel filter just seemed like it needed to be serviceable. Just like the fuel sock gets clogged and dirty, I can't imagine the fuel filter is a lifetime item. I've got 42k on my bike and it just felt like it needed to be cleaned. Especially after cutting open the spare housing and examining the path the fuel takes... :headshake

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ps

What are the blue fittings called? Are they push connect fittings like the factory lines?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awsome thanks guys for the pics and insight im probally going to finish up my project this weekend ill put some pics up

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Yea... the stock fuel filter and fuel socks are pretty nasty when you get them apart after any real mileage. The ZX10 pump having that deep metal sump only makes it worse I noticed. I have a nice in-line filter is on that Frankenstein looking pump set-up (sits right behind the battery under the seat), but you'd still have to check the pump sock every 10K miles or so. It is better than the unserviceable stock pump, though.

Those blue fittings are actually stock fuel rail adapters (-6 AN) for Chevy LT1 motors.... I think they are Russel brand, but I'm not 100% on that. Had to trim the plastic clip the slightest little bit to make it a perfect fit, but they do slip on like stock fittings. I think that's a pretty clean way to run an aftermarket fuel system the stock metal fuel lines. :) I was a little skeptical of the 'Push-Loc' style hoses without clamps at first, but I've had over 160 psi going through them with me trying to pull it apart by hand and I gave up before it did. Freakin' impressive stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts