Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you ask, YES I used the search and read some old threads but haven't seen this issue addressed:

Are there any suppleis I will need to have on hand before pulling the valve cover? Specifically do I really need a new valve cover gasket as per the manual?

Also, what prices have you guys been paying for shims?? My closest (stocking) dealer is asking over $13 each and they are not OEM: I have to bring in the old one to match diameter with his aftermarket parts...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've just done it myself this week, and my dealership say there is no need to replace gasket if you are careful.
And for the shim, be very careful, the dealer explain me that you realy need to have temper shims because of titanium valves or you will scrap them. I'm not sure if it's real or BS, but I don't want to mess with that and put anything.
And if you are lucky, you won't need any shims and be able to play with them to be in specs. In my case, I had to buy 4 (they were 13$CAN and my dealer exchange them with my 4)

Hope this help!
Yannick

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
16,500 :thumbsup:

I got it last year about this time with around 2300 miles on it.

I just ordered the BMC street filter, I'll replace the plugs ([email protected] auto parts place) and do the valves all at once. Just wondering what to expect once I dig in.

It may have to stay apart for a week while I order OEM shims from Ronayers..:cry: I'll also have to spring for a fuel pump extention to sync my throttle bodies. Sounding more and more like an extended project...

I'm also starting to hear (new) noises that I think might be the cam chain loosening up.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
You don't need the valve cover gasket. I would be kinda curious about what kinda plugs you got at the autoparts place for for $7.

The manual warns about using any shims but those designed for the ZX-10R. I ordered mine from Ron Ayers and they were about $10/each. I ended up using 6. The big O-ring on the timing cover gets's stretched out and is a bitch to get back in. It is cheap, you might want to get one when you order your shims.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
swjohnsey said:
I would be kinda curious about what kinda plugs you got at the autoparts place for for $7.

The big O-ring on the timing cover gets's stretched out and is a bitch to get back in. It is cheap, you might want to get one when you order your shims.
I read them the part no from the manual NGK CR9EIA-9 over the phone, Advance Auto Parts (used to be Discount Auto Parts) said they would have to order it, but they do carry it.

Ronayers is showing $6.68 (plus shipping) for shims. Thanks about the timing cover gasket...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rocketracermike said:
Lenshead. if possible. Take pics of the job. I like to know whats all involve.
You got it. Standard procedure in my book. When it involves that many parts? Shit yeah.

Thanks to extensive photographic documentation and labeling of parts I can proudly report my tercel started first try when I replaced the engine head... :badteeth: :rotflmao:

I can take enough pix for a how-to if needed. Admins?? It's still gonna be another couple weeks, though.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
lenshead said:
You got it. Standard procedure in my book. When it involves that many parts? Shit yeah.

Thanks to extensive photographic documentation and labeling of parts I can proudly report my tercel started first try when I replaced the engine head... :badteeth: :rotflmao:

I can take enough pix for a how-to if needed. Admins?? It's still gonna be another couple weeks, though.

Thats cool. I'm sure i'm not the only one who wants to know. be looking foreward to your report.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts