Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to deploy and need to make sure I am storing the bike right:

1. Change oil
2. Put on stands before leaving
2. Clean bike
4. Cover bike
5. Wifey will start it up about every 2 weeks and let it run for about 2-3 minutes or should I just this one and put it on a batery tender.
6. Amoural the tire real good J/K

I will be gone for 6 months.

Oh I forgot - Chain the bike down and secure it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Just put it on the tender. You can get a Battery Tender Junior for between $30 and $40 at Cycle Gear. I tried to have my wife start my bikes while I was gone but it's much easier to put them on a tender. Starting them for 3 mins wont do anything anyway. It's more harm than good.

Stay safe!

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
the day you decide to put her up go to the gas station and add stabil to the tank. fill the tank up and ride home. change the oil, hook up the battery tender, put her up on stands,cover her up.

if you have a front stand that attaches to the lower triple i would recommend pulling the front wheel. that will keep the front forks from being topped out for 6 months. i have not seen any proof that leaving the front wheel suspended for long periods of time hurts the front suspension but removing the front wheel will guarantee your suspension is good when you get back. if someone wants to steal the bike they will have to install the wheel first as well.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,033 Posts
What has already been said is good advise.

Do not have the wife start it. It's better to sit for 6 months than being run for 2-3 minutes every 2 weeks.

A full fuel tank to prevent condensation, fuel stabilizer, and a battery tender is all you need. A cover will help keep her looking good as new until you get back.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
zx10x2 said:
I am about to deploy and need to make sure I am storing the bike right:

1. Change oil
2. Put on stands before leaving
2. Clean bike
4. Cover bike
5. Wifey will start it up about every 2 weeks and let it run for about 2-3 minutes or should I just this one and put it on a batery tender.
6. Amoural the tire real good J/K

I will be gone for 6 months.

Oh I forgot - Chain the bike down and secure it.
where you heading too, im in the same boat, im heading to baghdad for 1 1/2 years... im probably just going to sell my bike good luck to you

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Don't forget to put saran wrap or plastic bags held down with rubber bands over the tail pipes to keep moisture and bugs out. Spray a little bit of wd-40 in as well. Not sure if your putting the bike in a temp controlled area, but after you do the final oil change, you can pull the plugs and put 25cc of oil in to coat the walls, rings, and valve seats. Some people rotate the crank by hand to get a coating inside on everything. Easier way is to put the bike in 4th and roll it forward. As was said above, keep the tires off of the ground to avoid flat spots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts