Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 14 and sold it with maybe 700miles on it. It was a great bike but the exhaust I put on was obnoxiously loud I felt like every single cop in 10miles dropped their donuts, and stuck their heads out the car to look around. It was geared to do an indicated 160 in 3rd gear after the archer tune and rpm increase while it was making amazing power I was basically forced to ride it in 2nd or 3rd gear everywhere so this one if its the same id do a -1 front +0 at the very least if the internal ratios are the same. Also the tires were crap and the master cylinder was junk. Also bike would not turn at all above 120mph. I ended up sticking what I think was a 7-9mm spacer on the rear shock which raised the rear prolly a full inch and it turned a lot.

I went from that to an MV & 17 gsxr 1000 I did a full system, rcs19 & lines, auto blipper, race filter, race tune and all the other good stuff plus 520 conversion and really had it setup great. I want to say I liked it better overall than the zx10r as the suspension was really easy to sort out. Best suspension I've ever rode. Bike was also obnoxiously loud, even louder perhaps than the prior zx10 and I sold it with maybe 500miles this year because I got hurt real bad racing mx, still won't be able to ride until spring but at least ill have the bike setup and ready to go over winter... Sold all my bikes this summer actually.

So guys, dealer is making me what I think to be a really good deal on a sexy grey one or im getting a 19 Panigale v4 for a good price (that is 7grand more). I like the looks of the new zx10 a lot better than my old one, its still comfortable to sit on, looks like the improved the calipers and certainly the master cylinder which is a big plus. What else has changed with the bike since my 14? Looking at Brocks dyne vids it seems like its actually the most powerful bike of them all comparing flash to flash v4 Panigale included. Not a drag racer tho and a 10yr old 1000 makes plenty of power for me. Just want to know what the issues with it are now out of the box that ill have to fix. Like the gsxr had some major restriction and had to change the headers because of a weird baffle system, and after you did that you had to do this, then since you did that you have to do this and this and this kinda thing.
Im thinking just get a cat delete pipe, flash it and remove some emissions crap. Really don't want to put any money into it just hop on and actually ride this thing. The Panigale seems like the way to go if you don't want to piss with it. Sounds good stock, looks good, everything good just needs the fender chopped off and your done.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hows the stock quick shifter and blipper? most important, how's the throttle from 0-5% ex just as you crack it, is it a jerky disaster like the r1? my gsxr was not as bad as the r1 but it was still unacceptable before I had it tuned. Would lurch at any rpm on/off throttle transition. Would be impossible to wheelie like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Loo
I had a 14 and sold it with maybe 700miles on it. It was a great bike but the exhaust I put on was obnoxiously loud I felt like every single cop in 10miles dropped their donuts, and stuck their heads out the car to look around. It was geared to do an indicated 160 in 3rd gear after the archer tune and rpm increase while it was making amazing power I was basically forced to ride it in 2nd or 3rd gear everywhere so this one if its the same id do a -1 front +0 at the very least if the internal ratios are the same. Also the tires were crap and the master cylinder was junk. Also bike would not turn at all above 120mph. I ended up sticking what I think was a 7-9mm spacer on the rear shock which raised the rear prolly a full inch and it turned a lot.

I went from that to an MV & 17 gsxr 1000 I did a full system, rcs19 & lines, auto blipper, race filter, race tune and all the other good stuff plus 520 conversion and really had it setup great. I want to say I liked it better overall than the zx10r as the suspension was really easy to sort out. Best suspension I've ever rode. Bike was also obnoxiously loud, even louder perhaps than the prior zx10 and I sold it with maybe 500miles this year because I got hurt real bad racing mx, still won't be able to ride until spring but at least ill have the bike setup and ready to go over winter... Sold all my bikes this summer actually.

So guys, dealer is making me what I think to be a really good deal on a sexy grey one or im getting a 19 Panigale v4 for a good price (that is 7grand more). I like the looks of the new zx10 a lot better than my old one, its still comfortable to sit on, looks like the improved the calipers and certainly the master cylinder which is a big plus. What else has changed with the bike since my 14? Looking at Brocks dyne vids it seems like its actually the most powerful bike of them all comparing flash to flash v4 Panigale included. Not a drag racer tho and a 10yr old 1000 makes plenty of power for me. Just want to know what the issues with it are now out of the box that ill have to fix. Like the gsxr had some major restriction and had to change the headers because of a weird baffle system, and after you did that you had to do this, then since you did that you have to do this and this and this kinda thing.
Im thinking just get a cat delete pipe, flash it and remove some emissions crap. Really don't want to put any money into it just hop on and actually ride this thing. The Panigale seems like the way to go if you don't want to piss with it. Sounds good stock, looks good, everything good just needs the fender chopped off and your done.

Thoughts?
Looking at one too. Hopefully I leave the stock pipe. Don't want attention but maybe tad more noise is safer. Some sort of slip-on possibly. Been out of the game a long long time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looking at Brocks dyne vids it seems like its actually the most powerful bike of them all comparing flash to flash v4 Panigale included.
if you watch brocks vid, just copy the mods he did to that '19 zx10r you should be good to go... maybe change gearing if you want, but doesnt really need much, the factory headers are pretty good (and TI, unlike the gsxr), braided lines already, some people upgrade the master but not necessary for everyone depends how hard you ride, or if youre chasing a very specific brake feel

filter
smog/emissions block off / removal
3/4 system (dont get a shorty muffler if you want to keep the volume reasonable)
flash
gears
better brake pads

thats a good start.

def gonna be more reliable than the v4... personally i think the kawa looks better too, but im in the minority on that one.

37 Posts
I had na 899 before my current zx10r.

Lots of mechanical problems from day 1. Needed an engine case change that never got done because I was an accident.

Beautiful bike but just too much maintenance and expenses.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't get why people put obnoxious loud exhausts on a street bike. Cop Magnet for sure. Sounds like you should have kept the Gsxr. Set up and ready to ride. I have a 2012 that is set up well and it is plenty good to go. Good luck on the new bike. Set it up and ride it. Just ride it...........

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't get why people put obnoxious loud exhausts on a street bike. Cop Magnet for sure. Sounds like you should have kept the Gsxr. Set up and ready to ride. I have a 2012 that is set up well and it is plenty good to go. Good luck on the new bike. Set it up and ride it. Just ride it...........
a loud exhaust can aid in getting the attention of other drivers around u...esp when ur in someone’s blind spot.

37 Posts
a loud exhaust can aid in getting the attention of other drivers around u...esp when ur in someone’s blind spot.
I just to think that and I also. Until one day I was in a left curve and trusting ppl would hear me I did not look who was on my right side. I kept looking at the curve and a lady threw her car at me, coming from my right into my lane.

Always assume no one can hear you or see you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nah, they won't :) either because they have their windows up with AC on + music/radio, either they will hear a sound, but before they realize where does it coming from... welp, could be even worse.

It definitely helps, but not as much as you expect it to... Saying that with Yoshi 3/4 R77 onboard

·
Registered
214 Posts
It definitely helps, but not as much as you expect it to...
thats definitely not the reason why i have a loud exhaust... but any small % of added awareness is a bonus... ive noticed a few times here and there where its caught peoples attention that were otherwise not paying attention to traffic around them, although this is generally at low speeds where they have time to hear it and then react... at higher speeds i doubt it helps at all, by the time they hear it, its too late.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Get both, lol, I have a 17 10r, wish I could get the nardo grey one. But I have a long akra evolution on it. Havent had any run ins with the law. Dont think its obnoxious or anything. But I love my V4s,, stock exhaust sounds good, looks good, goes with the body of bike and all.
20190930_193950.jpg

Thoughts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hows the stock quick shifter and blipper? most important, how's the throttle from 0-5% ex just as you crack it, is it a jerky disaster like the r1? my gsxr was not as bad as the r1 but it was still unacceptable before I had it tuned. Would lurch at any rpm on/off throttle transition. Would be impossible to wheelie like that.
The stock quick shifter is mediocre at best if you flash with Woolich Race Tools and tune the QS its amazing! Throttle will be slightly jerky until you get a good tune

·
Registered
23 Posts
Curious why you even have motorcycles...700 miles..500 miles...i do that just looking at my bikes. Someone can appreciate those parts you threw at them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Curious why you even have motorcycles...700 miles..500 miles...i do that just looking at my bikes. Someone can appreciate those parts you threw at them.
I usually have between 6 and 10 bikes at anyone point including mx and I used to ride everyday on my farm and the mx tracks 3x a week so only took the super bikes out when I could absolutely shred on them for 20-40miles at a time. Never rode a bike to a destination either, never been to dinner, shopping, errands etc. I keep a bike on average under 1000 miles. That said every time im on it im thrashing and enjoying it, as long as I don't lose like 13k like I did on the MV I feel I get my enjoyment out of them. This bike tho I either want to make a dedicated track bike or a street bike I ride more than the previous ones. Ill know this coming wed what its fate will be when a business venture is finalized that determines me moving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts