Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First of all, I searched, and couldn't find the exact info I'm looking for... hopefully someone can help me out.

So I have an '07, fully stock right now. I'm considering buying some A&R baffles for it, but don't think I'll be getting a PC. Right now I'm at sea level (Victoria, BC, Canada), and the guys out here that I've talked to say their bikes run fine with a slip-ons/no PC's.

The problem I have is, I'll be moving in a couple months to Calgary, AB, where the elevation is ~3500ft. I'm worried this will make my bike run even leaner than it does at sea level (with modded cans), and I might actually run into some problems without having a PC.

So, any guys out there running slip-ons/race baffles at higher elevations? Any other useful input? Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
As long as you are not changing the diameter of your headers you will be fine - no pc necessary. I cannot comment on the effects of the altitude change.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Go with the A&R Baffles. You will like the sound. I suggest getting a PC and tuning the bike once you move. At 3500ft your air/fuel mixture will be rich and the bike will feel slugish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^Oh right I'm obviously going to run richer up there.. why the hell was I thinking I would run leaner!

Being that its going to run a little richer in the higher elevation, that should actually be okay because the guys here at sea level run a little too lean with no PC's.. so if I'm a bit lean, and then get a bit richer.... I should be good haha.

I'll have to see about the PC/tune... the only reason I don't want one right now is because I don't have the money. I talked to a guy from calgary with a gixxer1000 and he said that he had a slip-on w/o PC... then when he got a PC and a tune, the bike put down more power, but actually didn't have as good of throttle response. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it comin!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
My bike is on stock tune with the with a baffle kit. I live at like 200-400 feet and it runs great. I recall taking a trip through the mountains and it didn't run as well. When I say as well, I mean it might have been at like 90%-95%.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. When you say it didn't run as well, are you referring to throttle response, popping on decel... or something else? Just curious what I might be getting into.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The only thing I thought I noticed was a slight change in throttle response. I could also smell it running a tad richer at idle. I wasn't really concerned about it. It felt the same at higher rpm and cruising. The only time I could feel a slight difference was stop and go.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Never used A&R's on my 06 but did something similar. I also cut 2" off, which made it look better too.
Awesome sound and zero issues.

Go for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts