Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This maybe a stupid question, I just purchased a set of 07 zx6 nissin calipers. Now I have seen where everyone says that they are the same calipers as the zx14 has my only question is why when i look up brake pads, they use a different pad part number? Did the use different pads from the factory? will the zx14 pad work on the zx6 calipers I bought not sure if anyone has tried that or not. But the pads I want I found are cheaper if I order them for a zx14 the for the 6's calipers that I have. Any help is appreciated. Oh and picked them up with 3000 miles on them for 85 dollars shipped.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You buy the pads for the original bike of the calipers ;) I bought a set of calipers off an '06 CBR1K so I bought new pads for an '06 CBR 1K. I paid $25 for my set off fleabay. Either one may work...whatever is compatible.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
The 6R and the 14 use different compoud of pads from the factory, at the time I had 6R calipers on my 04 and 14 calipers on my 06. I used the stock 6R pads for a while but then later upgraded to the EBC HH pads. The pads are physically the same, I would think the 14 pads would be more agressive due to the heavy weight of the 14, just a guess though.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just get the pads for the calipers you are using and all will be well. The ZX6R and ZX14 calipers really are not the same. But they do mount directly up to the 10R without modification.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The calipers are indeed the same, just a different material as when you go to stop 540lbs you need a bit more initial bite compared to a 450lb bike....have had both on my bikes and just swapped them using the 6R being there is no 540lb ZX-10R, not even tha fat ass 2nd Gen bike.

Cant go wrong with SBS sintered..but it is a preference thing as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i was actually going to get some sbs pads. and my personal preference is i like a very hard lever and hard initial bite thats why I wanted to use the zx14 pads just didnt know if i could use them in the zx6 caliper plus the pads i want are cheaper for the zx14 than the 6r. I figured it was just a difference in the pads but does anyone know for sure if you can run the 14 pad in a 6 caliper without any problems.

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
^^^should be no problem. just be sure to deglaze your rotors before mounting the calipers up.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i too have zx14 calipers on my 06 10r , which is now exclusively ridden on the track. i wanted vesrah rjl pads for this bike , but as u kno they were never madse for the 14. so if available for the 07,08 zx6 ... they should fit the zx14 calipers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts