Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have some 190/50 on the 05 10 right now and i swear the bike will not turn worth shit. granted the tires are real worn out but thats why im writing this. im thinking of going with a 190/55 or even a 180/55. i dont know if the feeling of the bike fighting the lean is cause of the tire on it has flat spotted in the center or if its cause its a 190/50... a little tire help would be great. i just got the bike not very long ago and i came from a zx6r which cornered like a maniac.:hello:

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Flat-spotted in the center is why your bike won't turn. That bike was originally designed for 190/50 (later years were 190/55).

I have a BT016 190/55 on my '04 right now and combined with the too-rounded (my opinion) profile of the BT016 front tire, I don't like it. Back to Pilot Power (190/50 rear) next tire change ... already have the tires, I just need to put them on.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
should note that I've heard of the 180/55 rears being used on these; they don't bugger the rear ride height the way the 190/55 does and should be better for turning. Never tried it myself, though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i bought it with the worn tires and i knew they were most def. not helping the cause but this thing just wont lean over. i gotta put everything i have to get it to lean a bit. whats the deal with putting a 180/55 on the rear? i want the bike to feel like its on rails and wants to lean no matter what. even when going in a straight line. these tires are making me feel like im riding a really powerful cruiser. lol

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
What brand tire are you running? Profiles differ quite a bit.

From what I can tell from your post a 190/55 and/or raising the forks 5mm or so would help alot.

A 1000 will not handle like a 600. The larger moving internals will always make a bike feel heavier, even if its not.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have bt016 front and rear. i have run 2cts and a multitude of dunlops. dunlops seem to work great. superb profile and just do the trick. but now to figure out size. i want a tire that lasts as i hate replacing them ever 100 miles lol. the roadsmarts i tried last and had enough grip for me and handled in the rain too which is always a plus. these tires will never see the track so... but should i go 190/50, 190/55 or 180/55? what r people running and how do they like it? so far i have one 190/50 will be fine and one go 190/55. lol

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've done 190/55's once on my 05 10... Qualifiers taken off of a Gen 2 10. The turn-in difference was night and day. Almost frightening and took some getting used to. For the Gen 1, any 190/50 will do... perhaps just look at more race oriented profiles which offer quicker turn-in due to the more triangulated profile. Or, do what was suggested above; raise the forks a tad. Won't change the front-end geometry too badly, but will help quicken the response.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have an 05 and have never changed the tire sizes. Two weeks ago I put on a new rear tire. I thought about changing to the 190/55, heard it would lean easier but I stayed with the 190/50. I went from the dunlop qualifier to the dunlop qualifier 2 and it does seem to have a taller profile than I am used to. My old tire was worn to the thread in a couple of places in the middle so it was pretty flat. Now the bike leans so easy that it made me a little nervous the first 3 or 4 rides but now I love it.

Knowing is half the battle. Using that knowledge is the other half.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
what tire pressure are you running? and did i read correctly about the "stretch?" if its stretched it will not turn in like it should period. and if you are putting tires on you bike every 100 miles, you might want lay off of the burnouts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
of course the 100 mile hing was an exaggeration but still. and no i know a 180/55 wont really stretch but it will be a bit flatter. how r u gunna ride it to the threads? like cords showing through? or to the wear bars?

·
Registered
164 Posts
when i bought my 10 it had a cheap ass shinko stealth tires.. not round more like a car tire "flat profile".. well the tire was good when i bought it so i rode it till it was dead..seemed like i had to force it into a corner and work to keep it there! then put on a new set of battle-axe's. Had to learn how to ride again! it fell through the corners so easy i would have to stand it back up to keep from ditchin it. i think a new tire is all that you really will need! if nothing else buy one 190/50 and put it on.. their only good for 2500-3000 miles anyway. if you don't like it then switch sizes.. just my .02 oh yeah both sets were 190/50 on a 04 10r

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
wear bars. i got 1600 miles out of my rear, and it was toast, edge to edge. i run 2ct's with 32/30 psi. been really happy with them, lot better than the stocker pos's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.