Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few random questions that I have for strip vets. I am trying to figure out if what I'm doing is different or wrong compared to others. I also understand that dirrerent folks have different techniques but I think their is also a better way of doing things in order to be successful...so here goes...

1. Do you go watch the tach or go by sound/feel when shifting?

2. Does anybody come out of the hole with only your brake foot down while keeping your left foot at the ready on the shifter?

3. If I choose to put on an extention kit over the winter, what is the longest stretch that stays street friendly. I am not a canyon carver and understand it's adverse effects to handling.

4. Lastly...is there an extention kit that is of better quality than others(IE Myrtle West vs Roaring toys) I am money concious but don't want to invest in junk either.

All comments are welcome. Thanks for your time and experience.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Im stock wheelbase so i cant really help with the extensions but.

1. i watch for the shift light, a lot of guys on here shift at redline or close to it. im assuming your foot shifting so when the time to shift comes you can "blip" the throttle and shift the bike without using the clutch.

2. I leave with both feet on the ground and drag them for a good bit. my shifter is also set up GP style so all i have to do is get my left foot up and step down to shift.

3. a few guys i know run their 3-9" extensions all the way back to 9" and still ride street 90% of the time.

hope this helps!:helmet:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. BTW, [email protected] is awesome. This is where I want to be once I get a few more mods and a lot more experience!

·
Registered
860 Posts
It's ok to leave with one foot up if it helps you be able to shift in time. I also leave with both feet on the ground to help balance/stabilize myself. I look at the tach to set my rpm on launch and then watch it and shift right before redline. I also just switched to GP shift and I love it for drag racing. Any stretch 3-9 is still definitely streetable no problem. As for brands I personally ran Yana Shiki ones on my old R6 and they were fine. I don't see any point in spending more than $250 on them. You could get your stock arm extended for that much.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's ok to leave with one foot up if it helps you be able to shift in time. I also leave with both feet on the ground to help balance/stabilize myself. I look at the tach to set my rpm on launch and then watch it and shift right before redline. I also just switched to GP shift and I love it for drag racing. Any stretch 3-9 is still definitely streetable no problem. As for brands I personally ran Yana Shiki ones on my old R6 and they were fine. I don't see any point in spending more than $250 on them. You could get your stock arm extended for that much.
Cool. With the foot thing, I have problems getting myself back to a good forward drag racing posture in 1st gear running at WOT while dragging two feet. If I have this problem while practicing my launches on the street I can only imagine how it would be trying to hook up on the strip. I know these things come with time and experience too but I figure these mods will help either way eventually. I am thinking about getting a Catalyst drag seat in hopes to remedy some of this and possibly lower my ET too. I have seen where some have upholstered them for daily riding and ditched the stock seat alltogether. Reversing the gear pattern also sounds like it would help also. At this point I have more idea's than money so I will continue to practice with my current set up. Thanks for your input. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats your times to date?
I have no times to date yet man. Still trying to learn the basics like launching and shifting effectively etc on the back roads before I commit to a track. In all honesty the bike can be quite intimidating and want to set myself up for success so I don't go out there and hurt myself or worse...somebody else. Anyway, if all goes well, I am planning to run it next spring once I get it (and myself) where I want it over the winter. Do you have any helpful tips or words of wisdom for an aspiring weekend drag racer?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
leave both feet on the ground your balance will be much better. with more time you will stop worrying about looping it and you will be able to concentrate on getting your feet up. right now your probably so worried about other things that its causing you to wait until your comfortable that all is going right before telling yourself you need to get your feet up to shift. Im not a big fan of bolt on extensions. you can get your factory arm extended for under $500 and its welded and safer IMO. If your no into dragging your knee in corners now you will probably not notice the additional arm length at all. I would recommend an arm that adjusts from 6-9" over. You will be very suprised how well it still corners long. It wont keep up with someone who rides very aggressively but if you dont ride like that now within a half of a day you will be familiar with the extended wheelbase. also anykind of seat with a 2-3" back built into it will get your confidence up because you wont have that flying off the back of the bike feeling when launching. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Actually, the higher the speed the less of a difference there will be between short and longer wheelbases launching.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
leave both feet on the ground your balance will be much better. with more time you will stop worrying about looping it and you will be able to concentrate on getting your feet up. right now your probably so worried about other things that its causing you to wait until your comfortable that all is going right before telling yourself you need to get your feet up to shift. Im not a big fan of bolt on extensions. you can get your factory arm extended for under $500 and its welded and safer IMO. If your no into dragging your knee in corners now you will probably not notice the additional arm length at all. I would recommend an arm that adjusts from 6-9" over. You will be very suprised how well it still corners long. It wont keep up with someone who rides very aggressively but if you dont ride like that now within a half of a day you will be familiar with the extended wheelbase. also anykind of seat with a 2-3" back built into it will get your confidence up because you wont have that flying off the back of the bike feeling when launching. :thumbsup:
I also think I would be able to get(and stay) in position better with leathers too. Something else that should be at the top of the list but it's hard not put any extra money in the bike when I have it. Again, everything comes with time and experience but getting back up in position after a decent launch is hard for me at WOT. If I don't get back to where I can be somewhat over the tank my front wheel will start to rise quickly and then I'll have to back off the throttle. This is where the seat would come in handy for me but I have hardly seen any available besides a Catalyst or something custom. Your right though...it would boost confidence. I think the extensions would too but that will probably have to wait till early next year. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Something that has helped me is actually taking the seat and side panels off. I sit on the bare rails. Helps you get lower into the chassis and the ecm is a nice bump stop to keep ya from goin backwards.:lol: Definitely only at the track but it helps. Just focus on keepin yourself forward and over the tank. Don't let the bike throw you back. Otherwise you're actually carrying momentum with you and helping the front end come up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, the higher the speed the less of a difference there will be between short and longer wheelbases launching.

From a roll the wheel base isn't as much of a factor with me when I down shift but then again I have nothing to compare it to. I am already in a good position and can control the front end much better. I assume that's what you guys are saying.

·
Registered
860 Posts
From a roll the wheel base isn't as much of a factor with me when I down shift but then again I have nothing to compare it to. I am already in a good position and can control the front end much better. I assume that's what you guys are saying.
Yes that is correct for you. He was saying that a stretched bike will not have traction from a roll, that's just rediculus. Once a bike is moving, it has less resistance to roll and would be easier to get traction on a roll than from a dig.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yes that is correct for you. He was saying that a stretched bike will not have traction from a roll, that's just rediculus. Once a bike is moving, it has less resistance to roll and would be easier to get traction on a roll than from a dig.
I didn't say it wouldn't have traction, I said it would not hook as well as a similar bike at SWB.

Theres certain setups in which are faster at SWB or with a small stretch (up to 4") than with a 6"+ stretch. Had an acquaintance with a 1397 Busa (200rwhp on motor, 240 on spray) that constantly went into wheel spin from a 60 roll, even with nitrous turned off. He went to a cheater arm (+2") and never lost a race until he sold it. Yes, it would wheelie, but he'd just click the horn (air shifter) and it'd come down and continue hauling ass.

Second bike was a turbo busa. Same thing, except he went SWB instead of a +2" cheater arm.

·
Registered
860 Posts
ok it's all relative. Traction can be dependent on track/road prep, wheelbase, tire/and or pressure, suspension set up, and riding style. btw who roll races?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I foot shift my bike also,i leave with both feet down,first gear is so tall i have plenty of time to get my feet up to shift. been 8.80's like that.

Ater reading these threads from experienced riders, I think I will continue to practice and learn with the two feet draggin' method for sure. It would probably be harder to break bad habits on down the road also.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Ater reading these threads from experienced riders, I think I will continue to practice and learn with the two feet draggin' method for sure. It would probably be harder to break bad habits on down the road also.
you may also try to use the clutch like a dirt bike rider would. by clutching with only 2 or 3 fingers it will allow you to keep the other 1-2 fingers wrapped around the grip. this may give you a better feeling on the bike because your actually holding on to it. you may not feel like your slipping off. Although that slipping off feeling would go away with the seat and time. the more you get used to launching it the more comfortable it will feel and you will forget all about that slipping off feel. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you may also try to use the clutch like a dirt bike rider would. by clutching with only 2 or 3 fingers it will allow you to keep the other 1-2 fingers wrapped around the grip. this may give you a better feeling on the bike because your actually holding on to it. you may not feel like your slipping off. Although that slipping off feeling would go away with the seat and time. the more you get used to launching it the more comfortable it will feel and you will forget all about that slipping off feel. :thumbsup:

As I was reading this I was trying to think back on what I do. It all happens pretty quick. I think all of my problems are wrapped around the throttle. I think that while trying to pull myself into position I am concerned about powering up the front wheel and not being able to let off it if need be(if that makes sense). I just need to practice on getting back to a good over the tank posture with feet in the right place. I guess what I am saying is that I need to practice more and find a technique that works for me. Unfortunantley it's been raining here for a few days. Hopefully I will be able to play around with it sometime this week. I am going under the knife on Monday and doubt that I will be on it very much at all for a few months. :sad: Again..thanks to all that responded with info. I really appreciate it. :eek:ccasion1 Later.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts