Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a few questions and am hoping some of you all can shed some light on them for me. I have the speedohealer from my GSXR. It isnt the newest version(the V4)...it's the V3. I was wondering if I can just purchase a cable for it to work with my 08 ZX10R. Also, what is the slip-on that eliminates the boom box but retains the stock lower fairing cover? What do you guys who get a slipon that eliminates the boombox do with the butterfly and cables?? Also who do you guys send your OEM dampers to to get the needle replaced? What in your opinion are a good set of no-cut frame sliders? Where did you get them? Any of you have the T-Rex ones? Did any of you all run 190/50/17's on your bike? How was it? Thanks in advance for any help!! I did some searching here..I'm sure some of this info is out there..How about we consolidate it here?

ps If any of you have a K&N filter you want to sell...hit me up!!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
slip on is from akrapovic, i bought mine from ebay for 170 shipped.

i took the cables off at the servo motor, put them in bag and put it with the rest of my "shit of the bike" pile

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
check out MagicMavis's FS thread,.I think he still has a K&N and a BMC filter in the classifieds!

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Also, what is the slip-on that eliminates the boom box but retains the stock lower fairing cover? That would be a Akrapovic with link pipe or the racefit growler and there is a Race fit for sale by a member here now. He has pix up and you can clearly see the brackets welded on it that the heat shield bolts to.

What do you guys who get a slipon that eliminates the boombox do with the butterfly and cables?? The cables you just remove. Leave the servo motor in place doing nothing to prevent a FI light, or spend $110.00 to Ivans for a servo eliminator. I am working on a much cheaper fix for that. Check my thread here for that. http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79284

Also who do you guys send your OEM dampers to to get the needle replaced? That would be Dan Kyle (Use Google or a forum search on his name). You can also sell your stocker on ebay and for an extra 100+ buy an REAL ohlins replacement from Hard Racing. The Dan Kyle mod should be enough though.

What in your opinion are a good set of no-cut frame sliders? I havent seen any NO CUTs for the 08. Try Google and MOTOVATION, they had some no cuts listed on their website recently.

Did any of you all run 190/50/17's on your bike? I have not run a 190/50. Keep in mind that will alter your gearing and make your speedo and mileage read higher, but if you get the speedo healer figured out you can compensate. I have never used a speedo healer so someone else will have to chime in on that one.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I can only help with the sliders. I have Trex. The delrin piece is good, but the aluminum piece that rides inside the frame over the engine bolt is iffy. It uses a smaller diam than the hole in the frame with a small cup to cover the bolt. Better than nothing and for the price they are acceptable. Probably good for street riding. I dropped my bike in the garage and they saved the pastics, but they work in conjucion with my hard mount peg rearsets. Champs sells top notch stuff here on the site that many swear by, just cost a little more. The Trex will get you by though.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
I can only help with the sliders. I have Trex. The delrin piece is good, but the aluminum piece that rides inside the frame over the engine bolt is iffy. It uses a smaller diam than the hole in the frame with a small cup to cover the bolt. Better than nothing and for the price they are acceptable. Probably good for street riding. I dropped my bike in the garage and they saved the pastics, but they work in conjucion with my hard mount peg rearsets. Champs sells top notch stuff here on the site that many swear by, just cost a little more. The Trex will get you by though.
:+1: on the Champs for sure!!

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Sliders are a touchy subject. Save your shit in low speeds, maybe at higher speeds. They may or may not destroy the frame. If the bike flips, nothin will save your ass.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If you want to run a different tire size and save a few $ try 180/55's. They are taller than the 190/50's and handle great. I ran a couple sets but at extreme lean angles your literally on the edges of the tire. I'm back on 190/55's now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
you could always descreen your stock filter and take out the foam prefilter... just be diligent and check it every once in a while.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am running 190/50's, now I am not a track killer, but I ride a lot of twisty stuff on the street and I didnt really notice much of a handling change.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Muzzys sells a slip-on that removes the boom box but retains the cover. I seem to be the only one that likes it, though. :dontknow: They only have one pic and it looks like the full system so I'm waiting to hear back from them about whether or not the slip-on is located in the same position.

http://muzzys.com/ZX10/ZX10_08_Exhaust/index.html
Looks good to me! As for the 190, I have dragged plenty of knee on them before(on bikes that came with them), I also think itd be fine to have a little help in the gearing dept. I will have a speedohealer soon to compensate for it if need be.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
slip on is from akrapovic, i bought mine from ebay for 170 shipped.

i took the cables off at the servo motor, put them in bag and put it with the rest of my "shit of the bike" pile
Was that easy to do? I guess those cables hook up to the valve under the seat...?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you want to run a different tire size and save a few $ try 180/55's. They are taller than the 190/50's and handle great. I ran a couple sets but at extreme lean angles your literally on the edges of the tire. I'm back on 190/55's now.
Yeah..I'm just iffy on the profile of the tire being altered by the wider wheel. It seems to me it'd be stretched more and the tip in would be slower. I'm too much into cornering for this I think. Oh and for those filters I saw them too late and seen they had been sold already.

One quick question to those who got slip-ons that eliminated the boom box. Did you have to do any programming after that? Does it make you go lean? I'm plenty satisfied with the power of the 10( as should everyone). I am more or less looking to save weight and gain some volume. This bike is too quiet! I like to have the 75 year old minivan drivers HEAR me coming!

·
Registered
137 Posts
One quick question to those who got slip-ons that eliminated the boom box. Did you have to do any programming after that? Does it make you go lean? I'm plenty satisfied with the power of the 10( as should everyone). I am more or less looking to save weight and gain some volume. This bike is too quiet! I like to have the 75 year old minivan drivers HEAR me coming!
For the most part slip-ons don't hurt fueling much. You can always get slightly more power and slightly better power delivery from proper fuel tuning though.

I did order the Muzzys slip-on I mentioned above, they said it's in the same position as the full system, so the picture is accurate.
When I receive and install it I'll post a thread about it.

I agree, stock is too quiet! I don't know how loud the Muzzys is, but based on the pipe size I'm expecting it to be very tolerable. I don't want a blasting loud bike, either. If you want that, a tiny little thing like the LOR or Growler would suit you (don't know about the boom box with those). Yep, the 10R is plenty powerful! I'm going for the same things as you, not more power.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sliders are a touchy subject. Save your shit in low speeds, maybe at higher speeds. They may or may not destroy the frame. If the bike flips, nothin will save your ass.
I went with the Champs. Can't wait to get them!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Did any of you all run 190/50/17's on your bike? How was it? I ran a 190/55 2ct two sets about 10K roughly including 2 trackdays. I didn't see any major change at first but i'm running a 190/55 BTO16 right now... I don't know which ones I like better maybe the 50s cause I have more miles on them... Hope that helps..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Did any of you all run 190/50/17's on your bike? How was it? I ran a 190/55 2ct two sets about 10K roughly including 2 trackdays. I didn't see any major change at first but i'm running a 190/55 BTO16 right now... I don't know which ones I like better maybe the 50s cause I have more miles on them... Hope that helps..
Yes, thanks. I got a real good deal on a 190/50-17. I know I will have to compensate the suspension geometry a little to compensate for the slight rear drop. I will also compensate via speedohealer for the slight gearing change too. I'm sure its only a slight difference and you didnt probably notice any drop in seat height or anything...? Oh and I LOVE BT-016's!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts