Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as the title says i ran a 9.8 with a 1.7 60ft. That was my best time of the night. I was running 10.0's-9.90's with a 1.8 60ft This is my first year racing and my 2nd time at the track with the bike. I was wondering if i can get any advice on improving my 60fts?

I weigh 193lbs not suited. Here is my parts list:
05 zx10 (gen 1)
-Brocks sidewinder
-Powercommander iii
-short stacks
-bmc filter
-tre
-1/5 throttle insert
-Evil swingarm (i believe i am 8-9 over)
-front 15t sprocket, rear 41t sprocket
-smog block off plates
-Brocks spring spacers
-Gen 2 busa shock
-dyno tuned

I know i should be running better times with my set up. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was leaving around 9,000 and no it wasnt spinning. I have the hook up on the bike so it grips good. I read your advise on the other thread and i believe i may be slipping the clutch to long. i was bogging at first because i was releasing to early and then i slipped it out and i have no more bog. But i believe i may be over slipping it now.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I was leaving around 9,000 and no it wasnt spinning. I have the hook up on the bike so it grips good. I read your advise on the other thread and i believe i may be slipping the clutch to long. i was bogging at first because i was releasing to early and then i slipped it out and i have no more bog. But i believe i may be over slipping it now.
Try leaving at a lower RPM like 5000 and work your way up. You will be able to get out of the clutch earlier and into the gas alot faster.

Are you squatting any coming off the line? That Gen2 busa shock is a monster for only being out 9", unless your a "big" guy of course.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try leaving at a lower RPM like 5000 and work your way up. You will be able to get out of the clutch earlier and into the gas alot faster.

Are you squatting any coming off the line? That Gen2 busa shock is a monster for only being out 9", unless your a "big" guy of course.
yes i squat leaving, i have it set to squat with no rebound. i could loosen the compression a lil on spring itself because i use to weight 210 and i am at 193 now. thanks for the advice.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Thats good, but you should be able to drop those 60ft quite a bit being stretched.
Those numbers are for SWB bikes.

What are your trap speeds?
Could your clutch be slipping at all?

BTW come to byron this weekend, it is 2wheel speed, I should be there with a couple other guys from the forum.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
get the throttle wide open sooner. you wanna spring your clutch hand out quickly and hold it that last little bit so you dont bog. when youre gonna take off, you should be dialing in more throttle as that clutch comes out. dont let the RPMs fall off any. Get that clutch out quickly and modulate it to control power. Throttle open quickly.

your suspension sounds like its set right.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
That's exactly it. I think a lot of the problem is your not Goin full throttle fast enough. When you start to slip the clutch when it Boggs is because your as you slip you need to give it more throttle to keep your R's up. A little bogg isn't bad but a lot is.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
^its been exactly that problem I was having. I went from a track that I would just spin if I hammered hard out of the hole to a track that hooks up great and Im trying to readjust my mind to actually get after it. My biggest problems are going wide open fast and getting the clutch out quickly. I started to work on it though, dropped from 1.8-1.9 to 1.7 and Ive hit a couple 1.6x before too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats good, but you should be able to drop those 60ft quite a bit being stretched.
Those numbers are for SWB bikes.

What are your trap speeds?
Could your clutch be slipping at all?

BTW come to byron this weekend, it is 2wheel speed, I should be there with a couple other guys from the forum.
My trap speeds are between 138 to 141 mph. I believe my clutch is fine. I am not going to be able to make it to byron this weekend because i have to work. Thanks for inviting me though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's exactly it. I think a lot of the problem is your not Goin full throttle fast enough. When you start to slip the clutch when it Boggs is because your as you slip you need to give it more throttle to keep your R's up. A little bogg isn't bad but a lot is.

I believe thats my problem also. Im going back to the track on wednesday and im going to concentrate more on the throttle as i release the clutch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^its been exactly that problem I was having. I went from a track that I would just spin if I hammered hard out of the hole to a track that hooks up great and Im trying to readjust my mind to actually get after it. My biggest problems are going wide open fast and getting the clutch out quickly. I started to work on it though, dropped from 1.8-1.9 to 1.7 and Ive hit a couple 1.6x before too.
I believe we are both having the same problems. I dont think also getting into w.o.t. fast enough and release the clutch a lil to slow. Im going to go back and hopefully figure it out.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I believe we are both having the same problems. I dont think also getting into w.o.t. fast enough and release the clutch a lil to slow. Im going to go back and hopefully figure it out.
best thing you can do, aim for WOT by the tree, then start aiming for sooner and sooner. Thats been helping me to get a little quicker. Been 6.36 in the 1/8 so far.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Yup, trapping like that clutch is definitively not slipping.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
to the op your leaving at the right rpms but sounds like your letting the bike bog off the line causing a poor 60... when you let that clutch out keep feedin it gas this helps to prevent the boging and concentrate on being full throttle right off the line and let that clutch hand do the work from there... it takes seat time but once you get it down you be naling some low 60's in no time man.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys, I ran better 60fts. I drop down to a consistent low 1.6 but I faced another problem. My clutch is slipping. So I improved, but its time to change the clutch out. I'm thinking of going with the drag pak. What are thoughts.

And thank you all for the advice. It helped out a ton and I think I would of got a 1.5 if it wasn't for the clutch. You guys are great.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Hey guys, I ran better 60fts. I drop down to a consistent low 1.6 but I faced another problem. My clutch is slipping. So I improved, but its time to change the clutch out. I'm thinking of going with the drag pak. What are thoughts.

And thank you all for the advice. It helped out a ton and I think I would of got a 1.5 if it wasn't for the clutch. You guys are great.
I'm runnin a drg pack in mine and have been for a few years. It is the best and cheapest clutch pack I have used so far. When you order a new clutch. Order some Suzuki valve springs from him as well. Just do 3 new valve springs and replace every other clutch spring with them. They are stiffer than stock so it'll help your clutch last a little longer but won't have to much spring pressure so you will still be able to slip it off the line.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts