Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was at the track yesterday for TNT and noticed my mph was lower than usual. only thing i change was the gas, went from 87 octane to 93 pump. will a difference in octane cause this ?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The short answer is that your making more power on 87. The lower the octane the easier it is to ignite and the faster it will burn. On a stock motor bike there really isn't any benefit to running 93 although many people do (including myself).

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The short answer is that your making more power on 87. The lower the octane the easier it is to ignite and the faster it will burn. On a stock motor bike there really isn't any benefit to running 93 although many people do (including myself).
Not always... 87 has more oxygen then 93 so you will product a higher HP output when running it, but only in the beginning! When racing in high temps the 87 will fail you everythime. Plus you will have engine issues in the future.

Also it sounds as if you need a PC3 and a decent MAP. And why do you think these guys are running race fuel (100 plus octane).

The old Pros and Cons things!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Not always... 87 has more oxygen then 93 so you will product a higher HP output when running it, but only in the beginning! When racing in high temps the 87 will fail you everythime. Plus you will have engine issues in the future.

Also it sounds as if you need a PC3 and a decent MAP. And why do you think these guys are running race fuel (100 plus octane).

Good point:eek:ccasion1, But the guys running 100 on a stock n/a motor are just throwing they're money away.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Good point:eek:ccasion1, But the guys running 100 on a stock n/a motor are just throwing they're money away.
Yep.. The 100+ guys will have to run the 100+ fuel in order for there bikes to perform well always.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I usually run the 93 because the rating is 90+ and I dont want to take any chances. I have seen first hand what pre ignition will do to an engine. My bike runs the best on the 91 grade I get when I am down in Arkansas.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

From what he wrote in the Original post, what leads you to think he needs a remap?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
stock engine, run 87...unless you go with like MR9- MR12 or something like that....You will make more power with 87 over 93+....ask any of the engine/bike guys...when RG does dyno and track test for Kawasaki he usually runs 87 right out of the crate..

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea dats wat i was thinking but didnt think it would hurt my mph like dat. i think the reason why kawi recomends to run premium gas is stay away from detonation, does any else agree ?

how was the weather?
weather was great thats why i decided to go bc the weather is startin to cool off here and i went to try and lower my times but lost 2-3 mph in the 1/8 and thats alot imo.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stock engine, run 87...unless you go with like MR9- MR12 or something like that....You will make more power with 87 over 93+....ask any of the engine/bike guys...when RG does dyno and track test for Kawasaki he usually runs 87 right out of the crate..
yea im goin back to 87 pump untill i can get my hands on sum mr9 or mrx01, do you think i will be fine and shouldnt run into any detonation problems if i go back to 87 over 93 octane ?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
yea im goin back to 87 pump untill i can get my hands on sum mr9 or mrx01, do you think i will be fine and shouldnt run into any detonation problems if i go back to 87 over 93 octane ?
I wouldnt see any problems at all.....is the map for 87 or 93......plus the low mph might be clutch related too...??

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
From what he wrote in the Original post, what leads you to think he needs a remap?

I never mention a remap.. I stated a "decent map" to get a better fuel and air mixture to product a better output HP with 93 octane fuel.

Now I feel there's a rebuttal coming from you. Lets here it.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I try to run 87 at the strip just because Rickey J does, if anything I think the 87 never shows signs of me slowing down....but 91 I can get good MPH too.....but over all I prefer 87 for the strip....hit 147mph last Wed. Night on the strip but still had 91mixxed...I think but not sure I also had 87 when I hit 148mph and I weigh 215lbs in gear.....If I do an all day event 87 only. On the Street Always 91 no Arco only Shell or Chevron type gas stations. :dontknow: but seems to work out for me.

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I never mention a remap.. I stated a "decent map" to get a better fuel and air mixture to product a better output HP with 93 octane fuel.

Now I feel there's a rebuttal coming from you. Lets here it.

Not at all.

I was just wondering what made you say he needed a "decent map" when he was asking about octane. That is all.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldnt see any problems at all.....is the map for 87 or 93......plus the low mph might be clutch related too...??
bike was tune on 87 octane but a guy told me to bump the octane up to 91+ to stay away from detonation. i dont think its clutch related problem bc i ride this bike on the street some and dont feel any signs of clutch slippage.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I try to run 87 at the strip just because Rickey J does, if anything I think the 87 never shows signs of me slowing down....but 91 I can get good MPH too.....but over all I prefer 87 for the strip....hit 147mph last Wed. Night on the strip but still had 91mixxed...I think but not sure I also had 87 when I hit 148mph and I weigh 215lbs in gear.....If I do an all day event 87 only. On the Street Always 91 no Arco only Shell or Chevron type gas stations. :dontknow: but seems to work out for me.

bloo
hey Bloo have you ever experience any detonation problems with useing 87 pump at the strip ? and any reason why you dont run 87 on the street to ?

Not at all.

I was just wondering what made you say he needed a "decent map" when he was asking about octane. That is all.
bike has a good map and runs real good for wat she is :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
^^ Could you give us some comparsion.?
Example on 87: HP 155
93: HP 150

1 - 20 of 58 Posts