Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone here can help me out. I have a bone stock 2005 ZX10R with 8000 miles on it. I just had a new pair of Dunlop Qualifiers put on the bike. The qualifiers replaced the original set of tires. This is were the problem starts.

When I got the bike back from the shop I noticed a pronounced wobble in the steering when:

I am riding in a straight line, doing between 65 -80 mph, I release the throttle and loosen my grip on the bars. (no brakes applied) The bars start to wobble left and right, slightly at first but it gets progressively worse until either the bike slows down enough for it to subside or, if it gets too close to a tank slapper, I grab the bars and settle it down. :dontknow:

The shop is working with me to find the problem. They have:

-checked the balance of the newly installed tires
-swapped the front tire with another Dunlop Qualifier thinking that the first one may have had a bad chord
-replaced the wheel bearings in the front
-checked the rotors for warping
-checked the pistons in the brake calipers for sticking
-taken the top fork clamp off and checked fork alignment, and steering head bearings
-swapped the back tire with another manufacturer's tire

I bought the bike brand new in 2006 and it has never been in an accident or even fallen over. The bike ran straight as an arrow until I got the new set of tires mounted.

Any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated. I have been a silent observer of the forum for some time and appreciate the usefulness of the site!

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I would try a completely different set of tires, these are the street dunlops correct? They have a not so hot reputation, but I have never heard of anything like this, the bike was fine before you switched tires, are you SURE they know what they are doing balancing the tires? Did you keep the same size tires, i.e 190/50/17 and 120/70/17?

What pressures are in the tires?

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
A problem like this usually occurs from a bent wheel or improper mount and balance of the tire but since they checked that already I'm not sure. Do you have a steering damper? Might be able to counter the effects but I would definitly want to know why it was doin it first in case their is a bier problem.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Two things...

1: Did you check to see if the front rim is perfectly straight? A lot of times a rim can be bent, but you never notice it until a new tire that isn't worn to match the bend in the rim is put on there...

2: There was a thread about this just a few months ago... Maybe you'll find some help there...

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66049

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
:hello: and :welcome: to the site too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The replacement tires are the same size as the original factory tires. I have not checked tire pressure but cant see that as being the issue since the tire was changed twice. I have not looked for a bent wheel as I have never even riden over a significant pothole that I can recall (I use the bike as a work commuter, same trip every day, with an occasional weekend ride). I do not have a steering damper.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I would maybe think about taking it to another shop and have them check the balance of the tire, I had the same problem with my old 97 ZX-7R had new tires put on and the ride home was horriable, took it to another shop and it turned out that the front tires was over balanced by like 270grains, and the rear was over as well by like 100grains or so if I remember right that was like forever ago LOL but id think about that first and try another shop and see what they say?? :welcome: to the site

·
T Double D
870 Posts
soudns like they didnt get the tire seated on the rim properly i had an employee do the same thing when i was a manager at cyclegear

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
you should remember Dunlops are taller and upset your steering geometry, you should lower your front by 10mm and see what that does for you.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
you should remember Dunlops are taller and upset your steering geometry, you should lower your front by 10mm and see what that does for you.

I have messed around quite a bit with the geometry and ride height on my 04, and done stuff way more extreme than the 1/4" difference different brand tires would make, and never had anything like this happen, for him to get a wobble just normal riding down the road at only 80MPH something is really amiss, I would bet almost anything the balance is way off, or the rim is severely bent, which if in fact the shop knew what they were doing balancing should have caught a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few posters have mentioned a bent wheel. Although I cannot rule this out as a possibility since I have not looked at the wheel closely, it would mean that the wheel was bent during the tire installation since the problem only showed up at that time. It is possible to bend a wheel putting on a tire?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
A few posters have mentioned a bent wheel. Although I cannot rule this out as a possibility since I have not looked at the wheel closely, it would mean that the wheel was bent during the tire installation since the problem only showed up at that time. It is possible to bend a wheel putting on a tire?
It is a long shot, but if you got a rookie mechanic, using a dealer heavy duty machine, I could see it, but it probably would be noticeable damage somewhere, I would bet more on a balance problem. If he did not know what he was doing using a electronic balancer, it could be way off, how much weight is on the wheel. I balance all my tires/wheels on a good old fashioned manual static balancer, it is super acurate, and I have never had a issue, but I have never seen a wheel need more than say 6 1/4oz weight, most only need 2 or 3 1/4 oz weights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply 9R to 10R, if it was a balance issue wouldn't the movement be felt vertically rather than horizontally?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Thanks for the reply 9R to 10R, if it was a balance issue wouldn't the movement be felt vertically rather than horizontally?

DO a quick google search on tankslappers and the science behind why and how they happen, and I think you will see that any harmonic distubance in the front end can cause a disturbance in the front end stablity of the bike.

Like everyone has said, your problem is very hard to diagnose without actually seeing and looking at your bike, but it sounds like some kind of a balance issue to me, that being said, a bent rim, defective tire, bad wheel bearing, any thing loose, coud all cause a similar issue.

Hope we helped you, maybe take it to another shop and get another opinion.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Run your hand back and forth on the tire making sure that the tread is not feathered. In other words the front of the trailing tread block should be at the same hight with the rear of the next foreward tread block. For lack of a better illustration it should look like this _ _ _ _ _ _ _ from one tread block to another. Not like this (though exagerrated) \ \ \ \ \ \ . Manufacture could have a bad batch of tires although this is unlikely at least you made sure by doing so.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I had the same problem on my 04 zx10r from the stock dunlops (218s I think), bridgestones, and qualifiers. I did lower the front end by 5mm on the 1st tire change due to different tire heights. I just attributed the problem to being due to no steering damper. I never bothered to adjust front forks again and purchased a steering damper. Problem solved. I currently use Pilot Powers but can honestly say I don't think it was a tire problem. The steering damper is probably the best money you could spend on a 04-05 10r. You very well could have a tire out of balance, bent rim, etc. But your problem sounds excactly like mine from the time I purchased my bike until I purchased a steering damper. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Never had the issue on the 10's.. but I did on a pair of busa's.. both times it was a bad tire, not the rim or balancing. Check the easy stuff first (bent rim, balancing) then get yourself a new front tire on your dealership. All tires are not created equal and you probably just got a shabby one.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
One other thing, i forgot, that nobody mentioned, make sure the dirction of the tires are correct, they are designed to be one directional, may make a difference.

And a stock bike even without a damper shoud not go into a high speed wobble at steady speed. 04-05 zx10r's do need a damper but not like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts