Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of yall shoot, thought maybe yall did some reloading and could help me out with this.

So heres the deal...

I just started trying to reload rounds for my 7mm RUM. I ran across this problem of messing up the case when I load the bullet in.

I am using RCBS Dies. I resize the case, the shell will feed fine, but as soon as the bullet goes in, I cant lock the bolt down, or its really hard to do.

This doesn't happen every round but Id say 3/5 times it will.

Now its not the bullets, theyre the right size, and if I take the shell that didn't work, take the bullet out, resize the case, and it will work again.

So my assumption is that when I am pressing the bullet into the case there is enough friction in pressing the bullet that its deforming the case.

So my question is, is there a lubricant for the bullet for cases such as this? Is there something I've missed? I know the neck is clean and deburred, so the friction is the only thing I can find to blame it on, but I have never experienced this before.

Any helps greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Are you using case lube?

You didn't say you used case lube before resizing, are you ? If not that may be your problem, I haven't reloaded much but you may want to try these

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=197010
with this
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=290522
or this
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=204960

You may want to ask this forum below, go to the "big bore rifles" section and ask them, there is a LOT of reloading experts there, they will for sure help you more than I can

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
536 Posts
Are you sure that you are seating the bullet far enough? Are there impressions on the bullet from the lands? Failure to close the bolt is usually due to headspace or bullet seating.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cryptoman said:
Are you sure that you are seating the bullet far enough? Are there impressions on the bullet from the lands? Failure to close the bolt is usually due to headspace or bullet seating.
I have tried many different overall lengths. It is my impression that that is not the problem. I have tried everything from factory length to over 3.9" and it doesn't seem to effect it.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
What caliber is it, 7mm Remington Magnum? Are you neck sizing only or full length? You need to check for a tight neck. An unfired bullet should go easily into the neck of a fired case before resizing. You could also have a long case that is headspacing on the neck instead of the shoulder. Check case length. If it is touching the rim of the neck it will actually crimp the bullet slightly and again result in high pressure. As someone else suggested, look for rifling marks on the ogive of the bullet of one of the rounds that was difficult to chamber. If the bullet is touching the rifling it will cause high pressure and may pull a bullet in a round you chamber but don't fire.

You can lube the inside of the neck. Use graphite powder. They make a special tool with a brush that goes into the case neck for this.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'd also check case length, neck burrs, bullet diameter and the forward end of your chamber. The RCBS Precision Mic is a nice tool to have for getting your bullet seating right.

I bet the ballistics on that puppy are pretty nice. I have the regular 7mm magnum, and it's more than I really care to shoot.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been full length sizing.

Even if I had been only neck sizing though, since the brass had been fired in my gun, would that matter? I thought that neck sizing was so you could keep the brass shaped like your chamber?

and about the ballistics...pretty fun...kicks harder than anything ive ever shot!

I bought it b/c of its very flat trajectory!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
For best accuracy neck size. The rounds will get progessively harder to chamber but that is normal. Since you are full length sizing you need to make sure you ain't pushing the shoulder back too much. You should just be touching the shoulder. You can check this by smoking an unfired case with a candle then adjusting the die 'til it takes off the smoke. If I was making a wild ass guess I would pick the long case. I would start out and trim all the cases to minimum length as they will grow with resizing.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
swjohnsey said:
For best accuracy neck size. The rounds will get progessively harder to chamber but that is normal. Since you are full length sizing you need to make sure you ain't pushing the shoulder back too much. You should just be touching the shoulder. You can check this by smoking an unfired case with a candle then adjusting the die 'til it takes off the smoke. If I was making a wild ass guess I would pick the long case. I would start out and trim all the cases to minimum length as they will grow with resizing.
This could be the case.

Ill check this and then try the lube.

Thanks alot guys for your help!

·
2,619 Posts
Outta curiosity, is there a good place online to buy firearms & other guns? Ebay doesnt seem to have anything.

I went shooting with a buddy of mine who had a 9mm revolver (he is a cop) & a little .22 hand gun too. The 9 gave me to much of a kick for that to be an enjoyable gun for target practice, the .22 was so much fun, like a bb gun :)

I want to get something like that for target practice. Any suggestions?

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
www.gunbroker.com

you have to find a person with a liscense in your area to have the arm shipped too...and they typically charge ~20, but you still come ahead on the cost.

Also, dont go this route if youre wanting it now...cause theres so many people youre depending on, if just one outta any of them mess up...its gonna be awile till you get your stuff.

If you decide to go this route, PM me and Ill help you out with more details if you like.

ANd IMO, you should get an HK 40cal.

Dont kick hardly, and is the best handgun Ive ever shot. Has a de-cocker as well.

Let me know if you need more. :mrgreen:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh...and if you dont like riding motorcycles in large groups...

it would be my advice not to go shooting with people you dont know, for obvious reasons...

·
Registered
536 Posts
RichTJ99 said:
The 9 gave me to much of a kick for that to be an enjoyable gun for target practice
You've got to be kidding, man.
The kick is where the FUN is! Try a .445 Supermag with 40 grains of H110.

Just messin' with ya'. Browning and Ruger make some nice little .22 pistols. Cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. And the other people at the range won't leave when you show up like they do for me.
Get a copy of the Shooter's Bible and compare prices and specs.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to let everyone know, we found out the problem. Thanks for all your input!

Seems as though, when trying to press the bullet into the brass, the bullet was hitting the edge of the die, more than the peice that you screw in from the top of the die.

This was causing it to go in partially crooked I think and warp the brass. Instead of the shoulder being staight, it ended up looking bowed more.

So with different brass and loading the bullet correctly, we fixed that problem.

Also, after I realized that the rounds we loaded the first time were not going to work...we tried to unload them. We have a hammer for this usually, but due to the extreme size of the round, it wasn't working, so plyers had to be used.

The teeth in the plyers ended up indenting the bullet, and ended up also causing trouble when locking down the bolt. However, after filing some on the bullet to "de burr" it, the new round goes in great.

As of now Im using an overall length of 3.7" with 104.5 grains of BFG50 Powder. Hollow point 140 grain bullet.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I like the sig p229 .357 or .40 cal. The barrels are interchangable and it is an all around nice peice. I also like the beretta cugar 9000. There is a beretta factory near where I live so if anything ever broke I wouldn't have to search very hard. The HK is nice too but very expencive, and I have bike parts to buy before anything like that. But when it comes to making my own rounds I am way way outta my leauge and you all might as well be speaking chinese.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts