Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please provide advice and opinions. I have a 2007 ZX10r with 40K miles. Around 33K miles it started randomly missing around 7K RPM. This corresponds with the throttle position for highway commuting in top gear. Therefore it stays in this RPM range for extended periods of time. The miss has gradually gotten worse over time. It will surge once which causes the RPM to drop. If I can hold the RPM constant it will keep surging/missing.
This bike has been exposed to lots of severe weather.
I replaced the stator and regulator/rectifier about 10K miles ago. (they burned out)
The bike has low level upgrades, K&N, Sprockets, TRE, A&R baffles, Throttle insert, etc.
I replaced the ECU with a used one; this did not solve the problem. I had a TRE, which I removed, that did not have any effect. I replaced the four stick coils and had no success. I did a valve clearance check and had 2 that were on the tight side, not by far though. The intake cam had a single lobe worn down by just over 2 mm. I assumed that this was the cause. I replaced the intake cam with an ’08 race cam. I brought all of the valve clearances to the closest clearance just over the midline.
I put everything back together and the bike ran fine. After about 400 easy miles the miss returned. Any ideas on why?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I would check your sidestand switch. I think thats the typical culprit of things of this nature, at about that RPM as well. Just try jumping it and take it for a ride. Cheap to check, so it could be worth it. Im not much help on how to jump it though, I have not experienced this problem and have not had to attempt this.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
I would check your sidestand switch. I think thats the typical culprit of things of this nature, at about that RPM as well. Just try jumping it and take it for a ride. Cheap to check, so it could be worth it. Im not much help on how to jump it though, I have not experienced this problem and have not had to attempt this.
:+1: That and did you put the tre on yourself?? When I first put my tre on I noticed what your describing. but it went away when I resynced my throttle bodies..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Ideas!

I removed the TRE and it made no change.
I could still sync the FI/Throttle bodies. - Thanks,

I have not rewired the kickstand. I will do that soon. Thanks,

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
i would check your sidestand switch. I think thats the typical culprit of things of this nature, at about that rpm as well. Just try jumping it and take it for a ride. Cheap to check, so it could be worth it. Im not much help on how to jump it though, i have not experienced this problem and have not had to attempt this.
:+2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I jumped the kickstand switch and went for a ride. IT seemed to run fine without the miss. Traffic was very heavy and I did not get to test it the proper way. I will do that in the early morning when there is little traffic. The switch mechanism bolt that attaches it ti the fram was rotten. The entire switch was very easy to wiggle. Too much rain and crud has caused it to fail I guess. I will check the other stuff soon. Thanks for the help!:eek:ccasion1

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
I was gonna go with a bad spark plug if stand switch wasnt the issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts