Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update on '13 that stopped mid loop a couple weeks ago with just over 70,500 miles. Dealer tech reported failure in top end sent fragments forcing engine seize. Kawa corp warranty will fix; will take awhile.

I bought this bike new Sept. 2014. Lasted two years eight months. I bought a new 2011 10r April, 2012; That engine failed about May, 2014, with 50,000 miles. Lasted two years and one month. Both bikes ran same hard loop except the '11 loop was slightly less miles; I ride everyday, weather permitting. '11 did not have extended warranty.

I've owned many super bikes and simply sell them for almost nothing after three years with just over 100k miles. R1's, CBRs, one FZ1. No engine failures. Never had extended warranty until the '13 10r. All had to be towed for minor stuff like flats.

Fourth consecutive summer off a bike.

If I ride everyday I use this site to wind down; no riding then I simply have no interest in any riding sites; I'll update status when dealer tech releases the bike or any new info is provided.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Damn Scout!you might now have to create conversation at home to take your mind off your 2 wheel therapy!I suggest to get on peddle power to save the headf.ck

·
Registered
707 Posts
Wait did you just say kawasaki will fix this? how?
\

Scout must have the 5 year extended warranty with his 2014. It's not the only 4th gen motor that I've known to go but the other one died with low mileage (lucky since he had the 5 year warranty as well).

·
Registered
333 Posts
\

Scout must have the 5 year extended warranty with his 2014. It's not the only 4th gen motor that I've known to go but the other one died with low mileage (lucky since he had the 5 year warranty as well).
still i didnt think it would be mileage exempt...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yup, it must be an unusual warranty for sure. I think my buddy said his was either a high mileage or unlimited and only time constrained. Does Kawasaki expect all of our bikes to get wrecked before hitting Scout's kind of mileage?

Reactions: ShawnG

·
Registered
171 Posts
Warranty I got on my 2017 is mileage exempt (specifically asked since if I ever return it to street, my street bikes get miles piled on) - kawi warranty seems pretty legit.

Reactions: ShawnG

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Is there any more specific information on what "top end failure" actually means here?
Yes, I have a few more puzzle pieces from admin at the dealer; reporting from memory per phone contact yesterday:

1. Admin mentioned that tech reported suspicion that one of the valves failed.

2. Admin reported that Kawa corp does NOT 'crate new engines.'

3. Admin reported that Kawa corp instructed technician to photo all parts and include photos with parts request.

4. Admin manager added that Kawa is the only major super manufacturer that does NOT supply new engines. This comment was not negative, simply reporting Kawa policy.

5. Admin dealer is confident that the bike will be as good as new; I have no doubt that the bike will be as good as new.

I still have the '11 and after running the released '13 will request estimate to rebuild the '11.

I'm so in need of a back up bike.

If all goes well, it will be impossible for me to go back to the cbr super.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, I have a few more puzzle pieces from admin at the dealer; reporting from memory per phone contact yesterday:

1. Admin mentioned that tech reported suspicion that one of the valves failed.

2. Admin reported that Kawa corp does NOT 'crate new engines.'

3. Admin reported that Kawa corp instructed technician to photo all parts and include photos with parts request.

4. Admin manager added that Kawa is the only major super manufacturer that does NOT supply new engines. This comment was not negative, simply reporting Kawa policy.

5. Admin dealer is confident that the bike will be as good as new; I have no doubt that the bike will be as good as new.

I still have the '11 and after running the released '13 will request estimate to rebuild the '11.

I'm so in need of a back up bike.

If all goes well, it will be impossible for me to go back to the cbr super.

hope this helps.
I had 2 failures. 1 was at 10k and the other was at 16k both ultimately were covered under warranty but required full rebuilds which took approx 3 mos each time

Reactions: scout

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ive never seen, or heard of any of the Japanese selling complete motors. You cant order a complete r1, cbr, or gsxr motor, either.

The pricing would bee too awkward to list.

I have no idea what the figure is, but imagine building a zx10 from the parts catalogue. The price is probably 50-75kk.

With that in mind, I dont imagine they would get to many orders for a crate engine that cost 15k.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ive never seen, or heard of any of the Japanese selling complete motors. You cant order a complete r1, cbr, or gsxr motor, either.

The pricing would bee too awkward to list.

I have no idea what the figure is, but imagine building a zx10 from the parts lcatalogue. The price is probably 50-75kk.

With that in mind, I dont imagine they would get to many orders for a crate engine that cost 15k.
The parts list for the latest rebuild was $4200 CAD i think not including labor. Solid 50 hours ontop of that. What i think happened may have happened in my case was the first rebuild wasnt completed properly and that caused the second failure. No real way to know though. Simply speculation.

Reactions: rcannon

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ive had to rebuild some air compressors that developed issues, during warranty.

Always a lousy job because you did not really have the say-so on what all parts were replaced.

The factories did not send everything I wanted to replace. They sent the bare minimum needed to do a semi-decent job.

It was best if the customer approached me and said, "I know I might have to pay, but please replace what you think is necessary." Which rarely happened.

I saw way too many 10.00 dollar seals, or 30.00 gears get installed, or reused, when they should have been replaced.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Very interesting development, good thing you have the warranty. Glad I got the same thing, five years. A good tech can build your engine back good as new. Mine was better after receiving new frame.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Happy it's getting fixed Scout. And impressed that it got to 70K.
I plan on never getting rid of my Gen 4, so nice to know that they can get up that high

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Happy it's getting fixed Scout. And impressed that it got to 70K.
I plan on never getting rid of my Gen 4, so nice to know that they can get up that high
Never a prob getting past 100k on past r1's, cbr's and one fz1; I suspect the heavier g5 might have better life span. Now I'd buy extended if offered on any superbike.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Never a prob getting past 100k on past r1's, cbr's and one fz1; I suspect the heavier g5 might have better life span. Now I'd buy extended if offered on any superbike.
Once you pull the euro 4 bs off G5 really not heavier than G4 Feels lighter too. You should just buy G5 and sell G4 when fixed.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts