Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wondering if a stock 05 zx-6r sprocket will work on my 10r. i got one of ebay for under 10 bucks; its a 43 tooth. am i gonna need a different chain? i know the 636 uses a 520 chain, didnt know if that makes a diff. i would love to be able to just throw this one on for now, moneys kinds tight right now so i cant get the 520 chain conversion. thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
norcal10 said:
just wondering if a stock 05 zx-6r sprocket will work on my 10r. i got one off ebay for under 10 bucks; its a 43 tooth. am i gonna need a different chain? i know the 636 uses a 520 chain, didnt know if that makes a diff. i would love to be able to just throw this one on for now, moneys kinds tight right now so i cant get the 520 chain conversion. thanks guys.
yes it fits and yes you'll need a 520 chain to fit it properly.

http://www.renthal.com/cw_master_page.asp?make=6

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
You can use the 525 chain with the 520 sprockets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
Ruthless Racing said:
You can use the 525 chain with the 520 sprockets.
yes but a very bad idea as the sprocket will travel the width of the sprocket and wear it out quickly.

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Daddy said:
yes but a very bad idea as the sprocket will travel the width of the sprocket and wear it out quickly.

BD
sprocket will travel the width of the sprocket? i'm confused. i'm gettin conflicting answers here. i know if a sprocket is worn it will wear out the chain faster, but my bike has 700 miles, and the sprocket is new. shouldnt hurt anything, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
norcal10 said:
sprocket will travel the width of the sprocket? i'm confused. i'm gettin conflicting answers here. i know if a sprocket is worn it will wear out the chain faster, but my bike has 700 miles, and the sprocket is new. shouldnt hurt anything, right?
yes it will travel the width.
In this instance when i say wear it out prematurely its because a 525 chain is wider than a 520 chain or sprocket so if you use a 520 sprocket (thinner) the chain will travel/move the width albeit small back and forth as opposed to traveling true with like sized components.

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,427 Posts
Big Daddy said:
yes it will travel the width.
In this instance when i say wear it out prematurely its because a 525 chain is wider than a 520 chain or sprocket so if you use a 520 sprocket (thinner) the chain will travel/move the width albeit small back and forth as opposed to traveling true with like sized components.

BD
True, you would not be happy or cheaper in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
Heres a DID chart. look at the pin length in mm for the 520erv3 and the 525erv and you'll notice a difference of some 3mm which is an indication of the link width however some of the other series chains are only 1.5mm diff.

http://www.didchain.com/specs.htm

BD
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top