Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I edited this post so you can get your answer: the 636 motor from a 2005-2006 ZX6 bolts up to a ZX-6RR chassis with no problems, and motor starts right up. I did run into fuel pump problems and am troubleshooting this later in my thread.

I searched the forums and got hundreds of results, but couldn't find anything definitive (and quickly) on the subject.

Will a 636cc motor bolt up to a 600RR bike? I "blew" my motor at Barber last weekend and need to replace it, ASAP. I can get a 636 motor.

What do i need to be aware of when bolting up a 636 motor in a 600RR bike?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on the 636 motor fitting. Per Mr. Jump at Advanced Kawasaki, the chassis is the same...the bolt pattern is the same...the wiring is the same.

fortunately, i found a 2006 RR motor and should have it next week. =]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, as long as the motor from the 636 (zx6r) is from the same year as the 600RR (aka zx6rr). 2005 & 2006, the motors will interchange. However the ECU will be different for each bike so you might need to change that out unless you have a kit ECU or a power commander.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we pulled the engine yesterday and opened it up. here's the report:

It appeared to be the result of severe heat in the combustion chambers at high RPM. The damage was light and almost undetectable, but did result in 2 of the 4 cylinders not holding compression due to valve damage. One piston top had some very light melting, aluminum debris stuck in the valves and washed around inside the cylinder. the pistons showed wear indications of an engine that had 20k plus miles on it, when in fact it only had maybe 6k. Synthetic oil would hot have saved this one, but it certainly could have reduced the wear on the piston skirts, and cam bearing and lobe wear. This wear was the result of very high rpm for extended periods of time, and high combustion temps.

I also wonder about valve clearances here too, as one intake valve out of the bunch was not closing completly... with combustion evidence up into the intake runner.

Damage was light and had just occured prior to shutdown.... another lap would have finished off the other cylinders or presented a serious lack of power. As it stood 2 of the cylinders were incapable of holding compression.....

Very simple engine, and easy to work on....

I just installed a new exhaust system and Power commander with custom map. Was this a contributor to the failure..? it seemed a little lean with backfires.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
detonation seems to be the latest buzz around my issues. I put in Chevron 93 octane...got it from the pumps just outside Barber at the Chevron station.
Had i known i should run a higher octane race fuel, i would've put it in the bike. Not exactly the most convenient setup for your average trackday guy who occasionally races.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Along with detonation, don´t rule out the possibility that that cylinder had swallowed any kind of metal particle coming from who ever knows where, causing the scars.
I magnified the picture as much as possible and see that are little scars all over the piston top surface, that are not present on the other 3 pistons.
A steel metal particle inside the cylinder can become extremely hot, melting the aluminum as it jumps inside the cylinder, even ruining the valves and the camshafts, as in any moment the particle can offset the valve to piston clearance. (and possibly inducing detonation)
Are there any scars in that particular cylinder head ceiling?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just about detonation (if this would be the case), I just grab the 10R owners manual, and this bike requires a minimum rating of RON 95.
The 6RR with 13.5/1 compr. ratio may require even more. I don´t have a manual to see the requirements.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
first - we installed the replacement 636 motor. It bolts right up with ease.

bike started, we kept it running for five minutes or so and the motor sounds great.
however, something happened to the fuel pump/fuel system. the motor is not getting fuel now. The FI light is on, so there is obviously a problem. When i turn the key, the fuel pump makes a loud noise. we propped the tank up, disconnected the fuel line from the pump and turned on the key, expecting fuel to start shooting out of the tank. No such luck. something has happened, so here i go troubleshooting the fuel system.

i haven't installed the new map on the PCIII, but will do so before i actually ride the bike. the map on the PCIII is for the 600RR motor. Should work well enough and allow fuel.

Does anyone know what effect the servo motor that controls the factory exhaust-butterfly valve has on the fuel system? this thing:

installing a full Akra system and the PCIII eliminates the need for this, b/c you remove the butterfly valve in the exhaust system. But if this servo goes bad, will it send a signal to the fuel pump?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
before

after

this is an easy upgrade/replacement. total time to remove old motor and replace: 3.5 hours.

i will get to test it out next weekend.....Barber on Thursday/Friday and Road Atlanta Sunday/Monday

:helmet:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts