Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I put HID's on our bikes. Mine works fine on my Gen 4 but his 636 is blowing fuses. It blew the fuse (10 amp) when we first put them in. Then we went riding after replacing and it blew another. So we took a ride to auto zone and picked up more fuses. We decided to put a 15 amp... that blew.... 20 amp that blew..... then 25 amp the ballast blew in the high beam only not the regular.

:heyyou:The Questions:
  1. how to fix it?
  2. why only the high beam with a 25 amp?
  3. what could be causing this?
  4. Would a 55w over a 35w ballast help this?
  5. Should he have used a 22.5 amp fuse (if there is one :dontknow:)?
  6. Should I be worried about mine blowing fuses (I do drive at night a lot so that's why I worry)?

Thanks for any help you can give.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry bud, I don't know, you shouldn't be worried on the Gen 4, that's all I know lol

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:bump: I read in a few places with other that have had this problem but all they say to do is put a 15-20 in and wait 5 seconds before turning the high beams on. we did try this without reading that though.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Try putting a relay on it. On most vehicles (including motorcycles) you do not need a relay if you are adding HID's to your vehicle, reason being the hid's actually draw less amperage than the factory bulbs. However the HID's actually draw more current at startup than regular halogen bulbs, thats why its so important to have a relay harness. This is specially true when installing a dual ballast setup. What I am refering to is the initial "charge" that the ballast provides for the startup of the bulb. Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try putting a relay on it. On most vehicles (including motorcycles) you do not need a relay if you are adding HID's to your vehicle, reason being the hid's actually draw less amperage than the factory bulbs. However the HID's actually draw more current at startup than regular halogen bulbs, thats why its so important to have a relay harness. This is specially true when installing a dual ballast setup. What I am refering to is the initial "charge" that the ballast provides for the startup of the bulb. Hope this helps you out. Good luck!
I was just talking to my buddy about that. What kind of relay are you referring too? can you give me a link to an example or one i should get? thanks:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
all that is crap. relay is good but is not needed here.
something is wrong with your buddies ballast - its shorting the circuit. replace the ballast and run them both on 10A fuse. BTW, the new "digital" ballasts do not use more current on start up. so this is what i would buy

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
also question, are you leaving the high beams on at start up? i think you have ballast issue or something else is shorting out..i have 55w on my 3rd gen and have not had any issues with fuses. :dontknow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts