Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
61,000 Kms too many for a 2nd hand zx-9r?
Have been looking at a 1995 B2 zx-9r that has done 61,000 kms.

Price is reasonable, but am interested to hear other peoples experiences with zx9's and long kms.

How many Km's will those motors generally do before a rebuild is required?
Are major engine parts still quite readily available?

Other than a rebore and replacement over sized pistons, what other things could I potentially be up for buying a 61,000 km bike?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Why would you opt for a high mileage, early generation 9, that may require exstensive mechanical repairs....what will you have after the time, trouble, and exspense?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 99 zx9r that I bought badly wrecked. I thick it had somewhere around 10,000 miles on it when I bought it and I know the previous owner did not take care of it. 55,000 miles later the engine still runs fine. Original spark plugs and clutch. Never had the valve clearances checked and if I added together all the times it has run hot enough for the temperature warning light to go on it would be more than an hour (no radiator fan). I do oil changes when I fell like it which can be every 6-10 thousand miles. I figure I have saved enough money by not doing the manufactures suggested maintenence that I could buy another newer engine. I have taken the bike on 3000 mile week long rides with high confidence the bike will get me home. I can not say that all zx9r engines will give so little trouble. First concern would be with the transmission gears. Pay attention to how it shifts especially into second and third gear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that is good advice in regards to what to look for.

Yep, I would much rather be buying a shiny new bike, however there is a huge dollar difference.
A demo 2006 zx-10 is about $18,000

however a 95 zx-9 that is apparently in perfect condition, aside from having done a lot of kms, is about $4,000. possibly less with a little negotiation.

hmm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gee I paid $5000 US for a very low miles 1999. I assume that would be $10,000 for you done there. I have seen them for much less. I would opt for the last generation ZX9, 1998-2003, way better if you can find it in your price range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say way better are you referring to reliability and overall maintenance cost? or something else...

As boring as this might be, the purpose of buying the bike is as a commuter.
So the only driving factor for me really is cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep. 61,000 is quite a few for a small tight tolerance high revving motor.

Am going to cost up a worst case of having to buy new oversized pistons, rebore the block, replacement valves and valve seats, gasket set etc.

Am just a little unsure of what other things are likely to be "due" at 61,000.
Hmmm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well the 98-03 bikes are leaps and bounds above the previous years as far as technology is concerned. The parts are plentiful for those years since the bike is out of favor with people vs. the newer bikes and you can still upgrade it in the future to keep up with todays stock bikes. Why sell yourself short?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I put 70k kms on my '03 636 before i sold it. It's still running, but the guy did have to replace 2nd gear. After a 1.5km 2nd gear burnout i might add! lol

Like others have said, take it for a drive. As long as it's been looked after, high mileage doesn't mean jack squat.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I had 44,000 miles on my 98 zx9 that I bought new in 2000 and sold in 2005.I never had a lick of problems with that baby.
I think as long as you take care of them there just like cars!!!!:beer:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting. 44,000 miles is about 71,000 Kms.. so a good comparision.

Still deciding at this stage... I have to drive 9 hours to buy it / pick it up, so need to be fairly sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts