Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at picking up some HID's for a while now and finally did it, shoulda done it sooner. I was looking to get a set from one of the guys on kawiforums that has a store, he sells his kits for around $130 shipped. I stumbled across this set in the classifieds for $80 shipped, never installed and still has a 2 year warranty.

$80 sounds like a lot for headlights but its a steal, especially when you consider some halogen bulbs sell for $50 or so.

Installation was a snap, the only thing that was a pain in the ass was finding places to mount/hide the ballasts which are about 3"x5" or so, and on the 10 there arent many spots that dont already have a bunch of shit shoved in them. I got one to mount inside the side fairing on the right side but there wasnt room on the left for one so i put it under the screen behind the gauge.

The only modifications that you need to do to the bike are drill 1" holes in the covers that are on the back of the headlight housing and swap the headlight fuse. HIDS draw a lot of power to fire, but once they are up and running its a relatively low draw on power but in order to get them to turn on you need to put in a fuse rated for more amperage. Stock is 10, i tried a 15 and it blew and moved to a 20, so far so good but i have some extras in the tail just in case.

I dont have projectors so using HID's in halogen housings you get a bit of light scatter but they are crazy bright. Its unreal how much more light these things put out than the silverstar bulbs i had in it before. The low beam now is probably equivelant to the highbeam with silverstars and the HID highbeam is like "the eye of god" (stolen from sbn). Im actually looking forward to riding at night now.

I got the 6000k set which is pretty much white with just a slight blue cast to them. The higher you go the more color is added to the light, going from blues to purple, but you also get less light out of them.

I only rode about 5 miles but im VERY pleased so far and this will probably be another mod that i do to any future bikes.

I took a few before/after pics of the bike and tried a few out on the road at night, i had the point and shoot cam and the night-time pics suck so im not going to bother posting them. I'll break out the DSLR tomorrow night, maybe even tonight if i get bored and get some decent pics.

these originally came from allenchang, he did a group buy on the kawi board and i think he still has 3 sets left that will work for the gen2 models h9/h11 for around $100.

Attachments

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
Me likes, dam bright in the day to!
been thinking about this also but prob. will go wit A&R's since its plug and play no mods for the 06/07's.
Pleas post pics of the night shots..
Also thanks for the info on the more color than less light didnt know that.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me likes, dam bright in the day to!
been thinking about this also but prob. will go wit A&R's since its plug and play no mods for the 06/07's.
Pleas post pics of the night shots..
Also thanks for the info on the more color than less light didnt know that.:thumbsup:

no problem man. not sure what the A&R's cost, but if you ever ride at night these things are worth every penny.

Attachments

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
I bought a purevision kit from a member on here a month or so back! I figure it would be a wintertime mod..!!........so..you have control of the high/low beam?........I heard with these systems that once you install.your high beams run all the time.did you have to wire it seperately or was it a plug and play type project?.........

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I bought a purevision kit from a member on here a month or so back! I figure it would be a wintertime mod..!!........so..you have control of the high/low beam?........I heard with these systems that once you install.your high beams run all the time.did you have to wire it seperately or was it a plug and play type project?.........
:+1: Do you still only have the one light on when its regular and then both lights on when you hit the brights? Your lights look they may be angled down some? :dontknow: I want hids so bad :drool:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:+1: Do you still only have the one light on when its regular and then both lights on when you hit the brights? Your lights look they may be angled down some? :dontknow: I want hids so bad :drool:
yeah, i still just have a single low and a single high beam. and in the pics i was facing slightly uphill in both which may give the impression that the lights are pointed down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts