Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I noticed the other day that my fifth gear is ... what? gone?

If I push the gas while in 5th gear harder/faster than cruizing to pick up speed quick, the gear slips in and out and the clutch lever goes in and out.
this only happens in 5th gear - I did replace the foot pegs not long ago
does this make sense at all? if yes, have I lost my fifth gear or is adjustments I have to make to fix it?

I still have warranty on the bike (it's an 04) and can take it to the dealer, just figured you guys might know better
- my clutch is almost gone
got over 30,000 miles on the crazy horse, never changed the clutch or anything else (except for spark plugs, oil and air filter and the normal maintenance)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
you have answered your own question. The clutch is gone, what you just noticed is more pronounced clutch when in 5th gear, and secondly it is only till 5th gear you have enough beans to actually to give some throttle! :lol: Thirdly the clutch will not be covered by warranty as it is a wear & tear item.:headshake

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have answered your own question. The clutch is gone, what you just noticed is more pronounced clutch when in 5th gear, and secondly it is only till 5th gear you have enough beans to actually to give some throttle! :lol: Thirdly the clutch will not be covered by warranty as it is a wear & tear item.:headshake
you're saying cuz of a bad clutch, the fifth gear feels like it's fallen appart and only fifth gear feels that way?
I gotta get that clutch changed soon anyways, but if it isn't the clutch, I'd rather have the dealer replace transmition under warranty first

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
If it jumps out of gear you are only getting partial selection , if you feel the clutch lever jolt in your hand then you may have an issue with the slipper clutch disengagement when you unload the engine between shifts , sometimes this can happen when the engine is revving but isnt loaded, i.e you are at high revs but a partial throttle, basically the engine isnt working that hard and you arent accelerating and when you shift the bike slows its acceleration instead of coasting between gears.

Its a little difficult to explain , but if you come off the throttle and the engine starts to brake before your next shift the slipper clutch will start to work and you can partially select the next gear before the clutch engages again.

Does this problem only occur with clutchless shifting ??

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't tried it clutchless.
it goes in fine and it stays in 5th, it never jumps out unless I shift ofcourse
when it's in 5th, the bike runs fine at cruizing speeds and throttle position
when I push the throttle, it could be at 5 or 6 K rpm, it pushes the clutch lever in a bit and makes some bad sprocket noise and then it's fine for a half a second then repets and repeats - ofcourse I let go of the gas to make it stop.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I would take the clutch apart and see if there is anything visibly worn , but its strange it only does it in one gear.

There is a chance you have a worn shift fork for 3rd and 4th or you may have a worn shift star or a broken pawl spring.

Take it to the dealer if you still have warranty.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
6th gear runs strong with no issues, pushed it hard from 90 to 140 MPH last night and it didn't even blink all other gears are strong wheelies pop up with no issues (only did it a couple of times to test it out clutchless in first and second gears)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i replaced the clutch and still same problem.
so took it to dealer, it turns out I have bent forks and some worn gears, the warranty will cover a rebuild of transmision.. very cool.. should get the bike back in a couple of days..
thanks all

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
i replaced the clutch and still same problem.
so took it to dealer, it turns out I have bent forks and some worn gears, the warranty will cover a rebuild of transmision.. very cool.. should get the bike back in a couple of days..
thanks all
best of luck to ya when ya get her back, hopefully she'll be problem free again :thumbsup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
best of luck to ya when ya get her back, hopefully she'll be problem free again :thumbsup:
thanks, she's as good as new, still strong and better than ever. I love my bike, it's been really good, not much problems and it kicks ass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[email protected]#!^&!!!! 5th gear

:dontknow:Hi All.
I love my 05 10R but recently I've been the victim of this 5th gear issue and it seems I'm not the only one. My bike started slipping out of 5th into 6th and 4th and would not stick in 5th even if I held it there with my foot. Took it into the shop and voila I'm out at least $2000.00 for trans work. Although the mechanic doesn't want to say it too loudly this is apparently more common then Kawi wants to admit. I was told this is brought on by clutchless upshifts but who knows. All I know is if your bike starts slipping out of fifth for no good reason shut it down and get it looked at.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is a problem that many sportbikes or race bikes have over time. It is usually caused by quick shifting a bike annd not getting it quite all the way into the next gear. When this happens you creat lots of stress on the shift fork and the gears of the transmission that are only partially engaged.

This is not saying that the ZX-10 does not have a tendancy to do this more than it should, but these are not uncommon problems in bikes that get used hard.

When I was racing dirtbikes on a regular basis I was fixing these things every 1-1.5 years. But they were getting used very hard. The best thing that you can do to prevent this is shift with authority. The little nudge to get you to the next gear sometimes will not engage it as far as it should. If you read any motorcycle racing books or track handbooks they usually call this "shifting positively" or "Shifting with confidence".

·
Registered
461 Posts
My 4th gear is acting a little funny. I'm pretty sure I have the same problem. I have the extended warranty. But I'ma try to make it to winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I'm up to $2800.00 and haven't seen my bike for 5 weeks...... think my next bike's gonna be a scooter. Trans problems bad!:bs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts