Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I install a 530 chain and sprocket on friday. After a few days of riding. This is the one thing i notice about going to a bigger chain. I have sato rear set. the shifting is now a lot better. its smoother. I mean a lot smoother. When shifting. I do not use the clutch. I no longer have the problem of the chain being sloppy after a ride. I know it add weight. I can skip a few meals to fix that :lol: . The chain is 114 links. The rear axle is way back now. I need to take a link out. On a straight road. The bike is more stable. Going into a turn. The front don't seem to stick. My suspesion isn't the same. It wasn't set up with axle so far back. I have one question. What is the pro's and con's of a longer wheel base.

·
GP Star/Official Spam Spotter
5,756 Posts
i am thinking of going to a 520 chain. i wonder if my shifting would be affected.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
a longer wheel base will slow the steering down slightly but the bike will be more stable :hello:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cain772 said:
i am thinking of going to a 520 chain. i wonder if my shifting would be affected.

Don't know. Some guy told me that the bigger chain is absoring something. Don't know what he was talking about. He just kept talking. The steering is slow.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
When accelerating, longer wheelbase favors the bike taking off for the horizon instead of the front wheel taking off for the sky.

Longer wheelbase will slow down the steering slightly.

The extra effective swingarm length will slightly change the equivalent suspension preload and damping settings (because the wheel now has a little more leverage against the shock).

Since the center of gravity stays in (roughly) the same location, moving the rear wheel back shifts overall weight distribution a little bit forward.

The heavier chain will act like more of a vibration damper between the engine and the rear wheel.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heavier chain will act like more of a vibration damper between the engine and the rear wheel.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
rocketracermike said:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I dont kwon what it really affects but keep in mind that when you change from used hardware to new, there is always an improvement...
So the only way to do testing is back to back comparison with new stuff on both sides !

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sto said:
I dont kwon what it really affects but keep in mind that when you change from used hardware to new, there is always an improvement...
So the only way to do testing is back to back comparison with new stuff on both sides !

That is true. When i got the bike. I went with a 17/42 set up. New rear sprocket and chain. The front sprocket only had 1500 miles. I kept the stock front sprocket. Even then. It did not shift as smooth as it does now. You do have a good point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts