Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me how to go about how to convert my 2016 kawasaki zx10r with stock 525 sprockets to 530 sprocket.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
I was told it was stronger than the stock 525.
Well, whoever told you that doesn't really know chains. SOME 530 chains are higher strength, but they are heavier and wider. So unless you're running spray or a boosted motor, the 525 is more than enough for a stock motor. A 530 chain will rob horsepower due to the increased spinning mass of the chain.

And a 530 EK MVXZ won't be any stronger than a 525.

Attachments

Reactions: s2king

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
We have been running DID ERV3 520 chains on 200+HP Superbikes for years... Not just for a race or two, but an entire season before we replace them and that is under race only conditions. The quality of the of the chain along with proper chain slack and maintenance has a lot more to do with longevity than the size.

My sprocket and chain article
ROGUE RACING ZX-10R Gearing/Sprockets Page

·
Registered
26 Posts
Very good article. I just read it.
We have been running DID ERV3 520 chains on 200+HP Superbikes for years... Not just for a race or two, but an entire season before we replace them and that is under race only conditions. The quality of the of the chain along with proper chain slack and maintenance has a lot more to do with longevity than the size.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
I was told it was stronger than the stock 525.
Yes, 530 far stronger than 525. Do DID superstreet ZVVM whatever 530 chain and steel sprockets. At this time I would suggest 16 front and 39 back upon discovering the Met.rr rear tire as that thing grips.

I know from experience. On bad years I do 30k miles. On good year 50k. No commute but just one work out loop. I thought often about 530 BUT superstreet chain 525 does come somewhat close to 530 superstreet, about 5k less or so.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts

No comparison to our supers that run real world

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
No comparison to our supers that run real world

I agree 100% Running "a loop" on public roads does not take even 10% of the skill or effort that racing on a closed course takes. Likewise the stresses on a chain used for street riding are rarely if ever equal to how much a chain is abused in a race environment where almost every single corner exit results in a full throttle pinned to the stop merciless assault through several gears at maximum amounts of grip that a prepped racetrack provides over a public road. The chain must endure this torture for the duration of every lap of every single race or practice session. Whereas on the street you are constantly judicious about when & how you apply the throttle to prevent street tires from spinning up from the lack of grip over a proper race tire.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Regardless of tensile strength I would think wear on chain and sprockets would be less on 530 than on 520 simply for the fact that there would be more surface area on each tooth to spread the load. But I run 520 on all my stuff. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
a bit OT but any feedback on which brand makes better sprockets? Vortex, Renthal or Driven? for a mix of street and track use.

Chain choice for me is the DID hands down.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
a bit OT but any feedback on which brand makes better sprockets? Vortex, Renthal or Driven? for a mix of street and track use.

Chain choice for me is the DID hands down.
Vortex and the oem Kawa is stronger than all others that I've used. What makes the poor quality sprockets do-able is the spin of all rear tires as spin reduces the load on the sprocket. Met rr spins less so best to go to 16 as front steel lasts longer either by design or geometry. Had no idea about this solution to grip until I started running the met rr. The poor quality sprockets like race driven and jt and even vortex, all rear, (but vortex with far more miles than others, perhaps 7k miles on the met rr before I notice stress on the teeth running 17/42).

I'm not sure about track conditions as all I ran on the track was 250's when a kid. Dad wasn't rich.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Vortex and the oem Kawa is stronger than all others that I've used. What makes the poor quality sprockets do-able is the spin of all rear tires as spin reduces the load on the sprocket. Met rr spins less so best to go to 16 as front steel lasts longer either by design or geometry. Had no idea about this solution to grip until I started running the met rr. The poor quality sprockets like race driven and jt and even vortex, all rear, (but vortex with far more miles than others, perhaps 7k miles on the met rr before I notice stress on the teeth running 17/42).

I'm not sure about track conditions as all I ran on the track was 250's when a kid. Dad wasn't rich.
Thanks

I am planning to go 16/39 at the next change and heard good things about the DID ZVSM chains. Coming to the sprocket have heard of good mileage on the vortex like you mentioned but most folks have been pushing me towards Renthal or Driven Racing. Vortex chains are crap IMO compared to the DIDs. I am lusting for a 16/42 but scared that it'll make the bike a total psycho.

I use the Met M7s and love the tyre to bits. Superb stuff specially considering that it looks like a touring tyre with all those grooves. I am still sticking to my RS10s for the trackday this weekend though. The stock gearing makes the bike a PIA on very tight circuits like the one im hitting this weekend. A 16 front should help there.

How about a 16 front sprocket from Vortex/Renthal, a DID chain and an OEM Kawi rear?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks

I am planning to go 16/39 at the next change and heard good things about the DID ZVSM chains. Coming to the sprocket have heard of good mileage on the vortex like you mentioned but most folks have been pushing me towards Renthal or Driven Racing. Vortex chains are crap IMO compared to the DIDs. I am lusting for a 16/42 but scared that it'll make the bike a total psycho.

I use the Met M7s and love the tyre to bits. Superb stuff specially considering that it looks like a touring tyre with all those grooves. I am still sticking to my RS10s for the trackday this weekend though. The stock gearing makes the bike a PIA on very tight circuits like the one im hitting this weekend. A 16 front should help there.

How about a 16 front sprocket from Vortex/Renthal, a DID chain and an OEM Kawi rear?
520 16 tooth front driven sprocket & 520 41 tooth rear driven sprocket choice of color and a 520 DID Chain is all you need. :thumbsup:

Attachments

Reactions: vroomshankar
1 - 20 of 21 Posts