Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the 10 can take a 530 chain and sprockets. I have a after market chain and it is always need to be adjusted. pro's and con's will be helpful.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
rocketracermike said:
I was wondering if the 10 can take a 530 chain and sprockets. I have a after market chain and it is always need to be adjusted. pro's and con's will be helpful.
The OEM chain is indeed an RK 525mfo..........as for a 530 being fit i have no idea but a lill research should reveal the answer for ya.

My question is: what aftermarket chain do you have??? and what constitutes 'always' need to be adjusted??

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
rocketracermike
if you've replaced your OEM RK525 chain with an aftermarket RK525 chain that may be part of the problem, secondly 2" of play allows the chain to ride on the outer edges of the sprocket teeth and over time/miles will create 'hooks' on them and eventually break them off.

1.5" of chain slack is the norm for street bikes.

BD

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have afm rear sprocket and the stock front. 17/42. i love the set up, but the chain gets loose. i do high speed runs on some rides. the ideal of the chain coming off just scare the hell outta me. i did a search and found no real answer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
rocketracermike said:
i have rk and when i have over 2" of play. I adjust it. Maybe just a bad chain. it happen around 200 miles of riding.
Every chain will stretch in the first few hundred miles. It should stretch enough that one or two re-adjustments are needed in the first 1000 miles and after that it should be good for a few thousand miles.
Also, never tighten it to where you have less than 1.4" slack (I run mine around 1.6"). If you keep tightening it to less than 1.4" you are causing the stretch, because the chain gets WAY too tight under suspension compression and stretches.
I try to keep my chains in between 1.5" and 1.7" slack.
Also, make sure you are torquing the axle nut to the right specs, and make sure when you tighten everything up the adjustment screws are touching the adjustment sliders. Otherwise under hard acceleration the rear wheel could slide forward and loosen the chain.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My chain has 4000 miles on it. never had a prblem with the stock one. I know a 530 will add weight. I have gilles chain adjusters on and even with the stock chain. I never had to adjust it this much.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
As i eluded to in my previous post it could be that particular RK chain. Each brand has a few different levels of quality to choose from and perhaps the one you have is of the inferior kind so i dunno unless you list it.

BD

·
Registered
267 Posts
The 530 chain will not only add weight, it'll add the worst possible kind of weight.
Rotating weight saps performance considerably more than static weight.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I really like the D.I.D. VM X-ring 525. Calsportbike has them for $122.
The weight difference between their 525 and 530 chains is .84 lbs. per 100 links.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JodyH said:
I really like the D.I.D. VM X-ring 525. Calsportbike has them for $122.
The weight difference between their 525 and 530 chains is .84 lbs. per 100 links.

I can live with that. just have to drink lite beer now to make up for the weight gain.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The ek gold x-ring chain has the highest tensile strength in the 525 catagory. It is what i use and i abuse the shit out of it. The number is lke 12000 tensiles or something. Keep the light weight and keep the stregth but you will pay more about $160

·
Registered
583 Posts
rocketracermike said:
I can live with that. just have to drink lite beer now to make up for the weight gain.
:spit: Taste great less filling has always been an argument! you'll only drink more. Resulting in more take off's=more chain stretch...... :crackup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is the 530 chain you are using an O-ring or X0ring chain? If not, that would explain the constant stretching. Even if it is an O-ring chain, if the tensil strength isn't high enough for the incredible power of your zx-10, you will still stretch the hell outa it. You need at LEAST 9000 tensil strength for a 1000cc bike. I would stick with the 525, because the extra slack in the width of the 530 can't be good. Just do it right and get a high tensil strength 525 O-ring or X-ring. If you try to "make it work," you'll only regret it in the long run.

My .02

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dreadnought-arr said:
:spit: Taste great less filling has always been an argument! you'll only drink more. Resulting in more take off's=more chain stretch...... :crackup:
Yes, a very good theory there. Have to drink on...I mean must think on this one :lol: .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts