Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
GP Star/Official Spam Spotter
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to go to a 520 chain. can u guys tell the pros and cons?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Pros.......a 520 W/110L will be roughly .5-1lb lighter than a 525 of equal length.
Cons......depending on the brand and series of 520 it could have more or less tensile strength and a higher or lower wear index than a 525.
Cons........generally speaking a 525 will last longer but then again it depends on the brand and series of chain.

BD

·
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DID Premium VM series 520 X-Ring Chain

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The DID 520erv2 is da best DID offers, it has a higher tensile strength & wear index than the VM series. I've used it many times on different bikes and it deffinately can withstand the rigours of street & track.

BD

·
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i want to lose weight BD. and i thought that a chain mod would be a good way to lose some.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
On a side note the EK chains (520rxo & 520 ZVX) is comparable to the DID 520erv2.

If you combine a 520 chain & high quality alum rear sprocket it could reduce overall static weight by 1.5lbs AND the added bonus is this 1.5lb reduction becomes a big + when considering rotating mass.

http://www.ekchain.com/

BD

·
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what sprocket do u recommend BD?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
cain772 said:
what sprocket do u recommend BD?
AFAM & Renthal are both highly regarded and used by the best in all forms of racing.

BD

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Big Daddy said:
The DID 520erv2 is da best DID offers, it has a higher tensile strength & wear index than the VM series. I've used it many times on different bikes and it deffinately can withstand the rigours of street & track.

BD

what is the tensile strength of that chain..??

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Most of the weight reduction from going with a 520 conversion comes from using a aluminum rear sprocket. The normal weight reduction is in the neighborhood of 2 pounds but it is rotating mass. If you only changed the rear sprocket and kept the 525 chain you would probably lose about 1 1/2 lbs. Now the 520 and 525 chains have about the same tensile strength and wear resistance. The thing that concerns me is that 520 sprockets are about 20% thinner which means that have about 20% less wear area.

Will a 520 hard anodized rear sprocket last as long as a quality chain. How about the front sprocket? It has been my experience that the front sprocket is the weak link.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I will say this I WOULD NOT do this mod on a ZX10R with the power being in the 150+ area. You will not find a rear sprocket that will last very long on the 10. I would just stay with the 525 chain and maybe try some of the aluminum sprockets. you will not notice the loss of mass for that kind of weight. Maybe if you did it with some carbon wheels then you might notice some better acceleration and easier turn in but not with just the chain mods.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
swjohnsey said:
Most of the weight reduction from going with a 520 conversion comes from using a aluminum rear sprocket. The normal weight reduction is in the neighborhood of 2 pounds but it is rotating mass. If you only changed the rear sprocket and kept the 525 chain you would probably lose about 1 1/2 lbs. Now the 520 and 525 chains have about the same tensile strength and wear resistance. The thing that concerns me is that 520 sprockets are about 20% thinner which means that have about 20% less wear area.

Will a 520 hard anodized rear sprocket last as long as a quality chain. How about the front sprocket? It has been my experience that the front sprocket is the weak link.

no way would you save a pound and a half by just changing from a steel sprocket to an aluminum one.. maybe 8 oz. tops and the MOI on a sprocket in minimal at best..
I'll be changing my steel sprocket to an aluminum one here in the next few days so I'll weight the two and report back.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
swjohnsey said:
I actually weighed everything before and after when I did a 525/520 conversion on my ZX-6R.
hope your not selling drugs off that scale... :lol:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Do they call you sparky for having Ti nuts?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
swjohnsey said:
How about the front sprocket? It has been my experience that the front sprocket is the weak link.
The front is not the weak link as it is a hardened chromemoly steel, hence far superior than say a hardened alum rear where the chain does have a tendency to bit a bit looser (if thats possible)

BD

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I've changed a lot of chains and sprockets. Can't say I ever saw a rear the was wore out. Just about every front sprocket I have changed that had any miles on it was moderately to severely hooked.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts