Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
which brand do you guys think is the best for chain and sprockets. i see that one chain brand can have a few different models in 520 pich. what are the difference. whats best for the rear sprocket ? aluminium or steal ? would like to get some opinions. it is for 08 zx10r track bike. thanks

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
If its a track bike, I'd go with aluminum rear sprocket. It will wear faster, but will be lighter. Since your going the 520 route I am assuming (low) weight is important to you. I have used Renthal lately and have had 0 problems.

The difference between the differenct chains are X-Ring, O-Ring, Non-O Ring, and of course strength. The DID ERV3 and EK ZZZ seem to be the ones most people rave about. Not all chains are created equal. As with most everything else in the world, you get what you pay for.

Post up what your looking for in the Wanted section, the sponsors here will see it and quote you a price. They seem to beat the prices I can find elsewhere 90% of the time and it helps keep this place open.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
i have the DID ERV III race with driven lightened front, and supersprox rear as wont wear out like shit aluminum..
but i personally wont go back to a 520 set on 170rwhp bike again, the bike does wear the chain out pretty quickly compared to stock size...and i religiously adjust and lube the chain.
the weight difference you wont feel, unless you have some rossi skills..and as for the whole spin up faster thing, well if you want to believ you can notice it, i have some titanium bolt rotors which will dorp some more weight you can feel for sure.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
jd....how many "miles" do you think you had on that 520 chain? I ran track strictly for 2 years with an ERV3 and never had any issues with it. Just curious....thanks

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I would say close to 4,xxx miles,
about 800 track miles, then the rest was ripping along at 100mph+ on the autostrada for at least 2,000 miles worth, then the rest was all 1st & 2nd gear hard riding in the mountains.
the chain is still functional but it is starting to puke its grease out, and well not even remotely interested in having it snap and jack up the cases.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I did the 520 conversion on the gsxr but won't bother again. Change is undetectable, at least by me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i'd go EK ZZZ if you're gonna make the switch to 520. ZZZ is the strongest chain out there in that pitch. i'd go with a steel rear sproket over an aluminum, they make some good superlight alloy rears. I had an aluminum on the 954 for a few thousand miles and could see the teeth already wearing divots from the chain rollers, and that was a 525. i went with the 520 kit from lexusrx on my zx10, so i have the MVXZ chain, which is still rated better than stock. it's a great kit, if you're looking for a deal, lexusrx's deal is pretty amazing. if you're looking for the strongest...i'd go EK ZZZ.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went with vortex aluminum sprockets and a ZZZ chain. They seriously might have lasted 2500 miles, about half in town and the other half highway. I was extremely disappointed in the aluminum sprockets. Second time around I ordered a set of Driven steel sprockets and an RKK chian off ebay for $210. I've put apx. 800 miles on the new chain and sprockets set and tightened the chain once. I'm extremely pleased with this set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts